Luau in Honolulu

SunPacific

No takers on Germaine's. Does anyone have suggestions for a luau in Honolulu? We are staying at HHV post-cruise for three days and would really appreciate suggestions as we cannot do the Lahaina Luau everyone's talked about! :)

Thanks!

Carol & DH Tom

Sailing 10/17 on POA

I like the Paradise Cove luau. It is at Ko'Onlina. Not too far from Waikiki. Ko'Olina is beautiful and before the luau starts they have all kinds of native Hawaiian games to try, tatoo booths, etc to check out. I thought the food was good and so was the show. I went last year and when my family comes out to visit me next year, that is the luau I am going to take them to.

Mandy

PS-I havent been to any other luaus on the island.

We went to Germaine's a few years ago while we were in Hawaii and had a fantastic time! We had gone to the Polenesian Culture Center earlier in our stay and supposedly it was more of an "authentic" luau, and totally different from Germaine's. While we enjoyed it, we still wanted to go to Germaine's. It just sounded like it would be more fun and we were right! It was right on the beach and we saw a beautiful sunset. Honestly, you can't go wrong. We made the reservation the day before and they picked us downtown (included in the ticket price). The trip there and back was even wonderful. We had a great tour guide on the bus and really got us in the mood; and on the way back, he kept the fun going until we got dropped off. If you want fun and laughter, go to Germaine's! Oh, and the food....it was wonderful!!:D :D

We went to Germaine's in June and had the best time. My children had an absolute ball on the ride to and from, because they tell jokes and have sing-a-longs. It was one of the highlights of their trip. The beach setting is beautiful and pretty much everything is included such as transportation, 3 alcholic drinks, unlimited soda, buffet, entertainment, a lei greeting etc. They offer an 8x10 and a 5x7 picture package for $20.00 cash, so be prepared with cash if this interests you. The picture is taken at the water's edge with waves crashing in the backround, so it is really pretty.

We just returned and we were semi disappointed with Paradise Cove. We were picked up from our hotel by a Paradise Cove staff about 2 hours before the Luau was to begin. As it turned out, there were other stops and our hotel was the first pick-up. Combine the extra travel time with a huge traffic jam and a family with 4 young children and two babies screaming at the top of their lungs most of the way...you get the picture. I know it wasn't PC fault, but the PC guide wasn't much help or much fun. He acted like it was a chore to keep us entertained - when we could hear him over the children.

Arrived at the Luau with 900 other people. :eek: We were shocked! The lei greeting was nice and the fruit punch was great, but the food was awful!

The setting was very nice if it were not for all the people and one of the most gorgeous sunsets I have ever seen. The shows were quite good, but by the time PC got around to having them, we were pooped.:(

Leaving - We were the last group to leave the Luau because - you guessed it - the same family w/children were the last to arrive back on the bus. I will not go into detail about the ride home, but aside from the children being ignored by their parents and left to sleep on seats by themselves, the ride was faster on the way back - the guide was still a sour puss.

All in all, the Luau was just not what we expected.:rolleyes:

Wish we had picked Germaines, but not sure that it would have been any different.

Sea Island Lady, sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with the PC luau. We're planning on going there next month but we will be driving there on our own since we have a rental car for the day. I hope that will make the luau a less stressful event for us. I didn't realize it was so big- 900 people!:eek: Was there any food that was OK or what should we avoid? Thanks for the help!

Fanc6 - You will be surprised to hear that all of the Luau's are mass market events now a days....except for private parties of course.

I am so sorry to hear about Sea Island Lady's experience with the bus...yuk. A good reason that I dont do busses!

But really, I think Fanc that your experience will be better. I thought the food was fine but not like it was made right then for you....it was buffet food for sure. But what I didnt like, my husband did so I cannot say to avoid anything. You will get fish, chicken and beef...along side vegetables, rice and other sides and bread.

But truely, it is said again and again on the boards...you shouldnt go to a luau for the food since you will be dissapointed (except at the Hale Koa) for its the entertainment and experience you are going for...just enjoy!

I would guess that the Hale Koa is probably among the least irritating and best "all-around" tourist luaus. Having said that, I'd go with a "split" experience:

1 - Polynesian Cultural Center for authentic dancing and other cultural stuff (Hmmmm - "cultural" stuff at the Cultural Center.... What a concept!);

2 - then hit Ono Hawaiian Food (on Kapahulu Ave. just outside Waikiki) for authentic Hawaiian "grinds."

3 - After that you can stop at any of a number of bars that make great "tropical" drinks if you like those things.

Yes, do go on your own.

My Dad loved the fish but the rest of us didn't. I liked the chicken, but the rest didn't and said theirs had no meat. The salad was good and that is all my Mom would eat. The pork tasted funny and could have really used some sauce. The worse part of the whole meal was the jellied tapioca pudding. Tasted like soap. The carrot cake was good however.

Thanks for all the helpful comments about the luau. We're still plannning on going and enjoying it for what it is - a unique experience in the Hawaiian islands. And if the food is not that great, so what, we'll have 10 days of great food on the Infinity!:D Aloha!

You will have a good time - we did eventually. Just got a bad taste with the bus ride, guide and then seeing 900 others unload from buses. We thought it was going to be a smaller more intimate Luau...after all, our hotel kept pushing us to book (a month before the cruise) before reservations filled up.

BTW - The lei's we received were beautiful and full real (and heavy) flowers.

To SunPacific: I have to agree l00% with Sea Island Lady. We did P.C. in 01 and I thought it was a total rip-off and wasted a very valuable afternoon and evening in Hawaii. I noticed that you are at HHV and when I stayed there they had a luau nite with a buffet at the Rainbow tower and they had Hawaiian dancers by the pool. The food was far superior than PC and the dancers were free. Check out if they still have that presentation and save yourself some $$ and valuable time without all the commercial tourist trappings at PC. Afterward go to one of the lounges and enjoy some beautiful Hawaiian music with a REAL drink of your choice.

John L.

We did Germaines on Oct 6th. It was fun. The bus driver was great. He was a hoot, and kept everyone laughing, on the ride back to the hotel he even sang for us.

For the $43 I think it was a good deal. You got 3 free drink coupons, and the food was ok. Mind you after getting off the cruise ship, any food would be a disappointment. But over all I would recommend Germaines.

I wish I had read these comments before we spent all that money for Paradise Cove Luau.

It was very crowded, & food was mediocre. We had table service & we were never asked it we would like more of anything. There was not very much food on our plate, & especially if you eat only 1 or 2 items it definitely was not enough. The piece of cake served was no bigger than 2 in. X 2 in, & yes that tapioca jello thing was awful.

The scenery was definately very beautiful, along with the sunset. Thought the show was fairly good, what I could see of it. Being short I could only see from the waist up of the dancers.

We got picked up at our hotel at 3:15 & the trip up there was in bumper to bumper traffic. The guide on the bus was entertaining, & tried his best to make the trip enjoyable.

I have gone to this back in 1985 and would like to take my friend there this November 2004. My questions is we fly in on 11/25 arrive at 2:15PM. This is the only day we are on this island. We will be shuttled over to the cruise ship and the ship will leave at midnight. Do you think we will have time to do this? It appears that they start picking people up at 5:30 if you take their transportation. I remember it being quiet a bus ride so does anyone know how much it would cost from the cruise dock by cab back and forth? I am concerned that the bus might take too long (dropping other off) and we could miss the ship departure. We are flying from Chicago so we will have a time change to adjust to, do you think we will be too tired to enjoy it?

Thank you for the positive comments on the Hale Koa luau. We are staying there for a week next month and booked the luau for Thurs night. I figured since we were right on the beach we might as well enjoy the luau right there. Sounds like it was a good decision! Thanks. EECO500

The food at the Hale Koa is outstanding. The drinks are not watered down so it makes a big difference when you are staying there. I thought the show was much more campy than one of the mass market ones. It was more like a Vegas Interpretation of a Luau than a history/demonstration of traditional dance. But that is my opinion...I know some who have LOVED the entertainment. I just didnt like the MC very much. JMO

I know you wont be disappointed at any rate.

Does anyone have a website for Germaines to make a reservaion? We are going in Feb. and would like to do a Luau but really only have Saturday to do it and touring around the Island and would like one that is close to the Marriott.

Thanks

Archived