Help With Halifax Plans

We will be in Halifax in mid August and would love to hear from others who have recommendations on what to do. Should we rent a car & drive out to Peggy's Cove or do something else? We do not want to do the ship's excursions. Any recommendations on private tour operators?

Thanks for asking this question we will be in Halifax late August I have been looking at private tours can anyone tell me the good ,the bad and the ugly about any of these tour people.

Bruces Tours

YourCab

Tour By Town Car

Tour by Taxi

Hope that some one has used one of these and can give me a review.

Thanks

Margaret

In all honesty, I think you can do a great tour on your own. I would order the "doers and dreamers guide" from NS tourism. They come with a map, and planned out routes. I am from Halifax, and haven't heard of any of these companies. If you need some more specific info, I'd be glad to help.

We will be in Halifax in mid August and would love to hear from others who have recommendations on what to do. Should we rent a car & drive out to Peggy's Cove or do something else? We do not want to do the ship's excursions. Any recommendations on private tour operators?

Since you like to get around via car rental, Peggy's Cove is quite doable that way and well worth the trip. Definitley get the Doers and Dreamers Guide. You will be particularly interested in the "Lighthouse Route." You can also drive to Lunenburg, Chester and Mahone Bay.

https://novascotia.com/en/home/planatrip/travel_guides/default.aspx

Thanks for asking this question we will be in Halifax late August I have been looking at private tours can anyone tell me the good ,the bad and the ugly about any of these tour people.

Bruces Tours

YourCab

Tour By Town Car

Tour by Taxi

Hope that some one has used one of these and can give me a review.

Thanks

Margaret

Your Cab - I've read only complimentary reviews about Jonathan Duru on these boards, so we booked him for September. My husband and I aren't interested in renting a car and have been to Halifax/Peggy's Cove before. We want to visit Peggy's Cove again and see the highlights of the NS Lighthouse Route.

If you do a search on this board under Jonathan Duru you will get a few hits that have reviews of his tours.

http://www.yourcab.ca/

Where do you get the free bus?

It does a 40 minute "loop" of the general downtown area with multiple stops including the cruise ship peir. It is intended to be used by tourists. Check this site http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/fred.html for more information. It is only showing the schedule for 2007 but I would assume it will be the same this year. Hopefully the site will be updated soon.

Enjoy your visit!:)

Your Cab - I've read only complimentary reviews about Jonathan Duru on these boards, so we booked him for September. My husband and I aren't interested in renting a car and have been to Halifax/Peggy's Cove before. We want to visit Peggy's Cove again and see the highlights of the NS Lighthouse Route.

If you do a search on this board under Jonathan Duru you will get a few hits that have reviews of his tours.

http://www.yourcab.ca/

We went to Peggy's Cove last year with Jonathan and had a great time! It was nice being able to tour off the beaten trail. Jonathan is a very good tour guide.

I'm following this thread, along with the St. John one.

We are on a budget, so we'd like to avoid a pricey ship's excursion, as well as renting a car. We have two children (teens). Keep the ideas coming :)

Are the Citadel and the National Maritime Museum both walk-able from where the ships dock? If the FRED schedule is similar to last year's (I've emailed the city to find out), it won't be runing yet when Grandeur and Victory dock on June 17. With 2 ships in at the same time, I have a feeling that taxis and rental cars will be at a premium.

Yes, you can walk. I've done it, but it takes good legs going uphill. There is a path that is much shorter than the way by road that goes up to the Cidadel.
Good to know. Here's the response I got back from Downtown Halifax about FRED in 2008, for those sailing later.

Hello Jerin,

Yes, FRED will be running again this year. FRED is scheduled to be in operation from July 5 to October 24, from 10:30 am to 5:30 pm, 7 days/week. The full schedule will be on our website in the next few weeks at http://www.downtownhalifax.ns.ca.

Hope this information helps,

Ivy

Hi Jerin & Dan:

The Cruiseport is located practically downtown compared to some cruiseports. It's a nice boardwalk "walk" along waterfront to Museum and then you can meander up hill through the downtown business district to the Citadel. About 12-14 minutes to Musem. About 10 minutes up to Citadel. Then take a walk down to the Public Gardens (10 mins) and back along Spring Garden Rd. to the Cruise Ship again. about 15 more minutes. It will make for a great day.

Enjoy Halifax.

Jim from Halifax who also likes St. Thomas and Tortolla.

Are the Citadel and the National Maritime Museum both walk-able from where the ships dock? If the FRED schedule is similar to last year's (I've emailed the city to find out), it won't be runing yet when Grandeur and Victory dock on June 17. With 2 ships in at the same time, I have a feeling that taxis and rental cars will be at a premium.

Where the Carnival Victory was docked it was right at the end of the parking area. You could walk the area, but its hilly and the bus was a nice way to rest.

Yes, the bus would be nice. It starts running about 3 weeks after we're there. I have some physical challenges that make hills difficult (no kneecaps, tendons aren't where they belong, etc.). It looks like the Number 6 bus might get us up the hill to the Citadel. Riding the regular public transportation works for us. We made some interesting local friends in St. Maarten that way. A question for the locals, though ... does one need to buy tickets before boarding, or can you pay a cash fare onboard? I see on the MetroTransit site it has a list of ticket outlets. If one must purchase tickets ahead of time, where can we get them close to the pier?

Yes, the bus would be nice. It starts running about 3 weeks after we're there. I have some physical challenges that make hills difficult (no kneecaps, tendons aren't where they belong, etc.). It looks like the Number 6 bus might get us up the hill to the Citadel. Riding the regular public transportation works for us. We made some interesting local friends in St. Maarten that way. A question for the locals, though ... does one need to buy tickets before boarding, or can you pay a cash fare onboard? I see on the MetroTransit site it has a list of ticket outlets. If one must purchase tickets ahead of time, where can we get them close to the pier?

I believe that you can pay when you get on the bus but you need exact change as the bus drivers do not provide change.

Another option is that there are usually "rickshaws" (?) available and you may be able to get one to take you there.

I believe that you can pay when you get on the bus but you need exact change as the bus drivers do not provide change.

Another option is that there are usually "rickshaws" (?) available and you may be able to get one to take you there.

Ok, good to know. Since the fare is an even $2, having exact change shouldn't be a problem. Our plan is to hit the ATM in St. John the day before, and we'll have occasions to break things down to smaller bills/coins that day. We'll keep an eye out for the rickshaws, too, but with 2 ships in port, I think a lot might come down to timing. One thing we like about the regular buses is that relatively few tourists think about taking them.

Ok, good to know. Since the fare is an even $2, having exact change shouldn't be a problem. Our plan is to hit the ATM in St. John the day before, and we'll have occasions to break things down to smaller bills/coins that day. We'll keep an eye out for the rickshaws, too, but with 2 ships in port, I think a lot might come down to timing. One thing we like about the regular buses is that relatively few tourists think about taking them.

Sorry for the OT post:D - but Jerin - are you the same Jerin that has posted on the SL forums and the Library? If not - sorry!! Don't mean to scare anyone.

If yes- how nice to see you here! I was quite surprised to see a name that I know from elsewhere.

Sorry for the OT post:D - but Jerin - are you the same Jerin that has posted on the SL forums and the Library? If not - sorry!! Don't mean to scare anyone.

If yes- how nice to see you here! I was quite surprised to see a name that I know from elsewhere.

Yep ... that's me. We're going to Canada and New England on our school staff retreat ... or when we feel like making it sound more interesting, the boys' school secretary is running away with the chairman of the school board. ;)

This time, we're leaving them with my parents. Next time, we're bringing everyone (kids and parents) with.

Yep ... that's me. We're going to Canada and New England on our school staff retreat ... or when we feel like making it sound more interesting, the boys' school secretary is running away with the chairman of the school board. ;)

This time, we're leaving them with my parents. Next time, we're bringing everyone (kids and parents) with.

I am lindalearningfor3 on those forums - although I haven't visited for quite a while. I mainly spent my time at SL on the TK threads.

:D Our school break will be in November - and everybody is coming - our whole school ;) - and my parents - and an extra relative or two!

Enjoy your trip and your planning - I am just starting - we only booked 2 weeks ago.

Archived