AirTran flights?

littleone9699

Has anyone flown AirTran? I'm cruising in January and they have a great price on a non-stop flight to Orlando. I've never flown with them before and given the recent closures of airlines, not sure if I would be gambling getting tickets through them since they aren't one of the big airlines. Any thoughts?? Thanks :) !

I have heard only good things.. so im trying air tran out this nov. ONlY $84 one way, couldn't help but book it. As for the air lines who have been in trouble, i guess everyone got refunded if they paid by credit card, and the big airlines have stepped in to help

This is my 3rd time using Airtran. We are leaving April 18th. Never had a problem. They just implemented the extra $10 for your second piece of luggage effective May 15th. There are no TV's on the plane. Just XM radio. I would use them again without any hesitation.

This is a tumultuous time for the airlines. No matter who you go with, I recommend that you buy your tickets with a credit card. You'll likely have recourse through your credit card company if the airline goes under and you don't get to use your ticket.

We just got back last Sunday from using AirTran from Flint, Michigan, to Pensacola, Florida, via Atlanta. After seeing how busy the terminal at Atlanta was with AirTran passengers, I would say you have nothing to worry about as far as the airline "going under." Probably thousands of passengers in AirTran terminal...and that's just one airport!

No problems except for weather delays. The flights were fine, albeit turbulent because of rough weather. Staff seemed pleasant. Go for it! I saved over $1600 using them over our local airport.

Good luck!

We use airtran all the time to fly to Pennsylvannia. ONe thing that you may not have been told is that if you get to the airport early enough you can purchase a first class upgrade for 50.00 per person each way. It is really nice to have that big seat and all the room and usually the cost is still less then other lines.:D

CONSTANTLY..... As I booked AIRTRAN direct back in November of 07 for a May 08 cruise and they changed my flight without ever contacting me or anyone in our party of 10. There are no longer direct flights from PIT to FLL. i was very upset as this was a great non-stop price at $200.00 and was put on a layover flight with a stop in ATL.

The thing that upset me the most..........I was not notified in any way or was anyone else in my party. Had I not seen a thread on here about checking, I would have just assumed that what I booked is what I got and showed up at the airport, but would not have had a plane to board.

The like I started was AIR PUT THE SCREWS TO ME can be found here if you do a search.

Just be for warned.... CHECK CHECK CHECK..

I am sure this is not only AIRTRAN but all airlines, but AIRTRAN was the one that PUT THE SCREWS TO ME....:mad:

ok.... now I feel better.....:D

I have flown Air Tran twice just since January and had no problems at all. They changed our flight time on our return flight last week and they emailed me like 3 times a day and even when I accepted the change they still emailed me so I finally called just to make sure it was ok and they appologized for it not stopping the emails after I accepted the change. I said no problem just wanted to make sure they knew I was ok with the time change......

This is my 3rd time using Airtran. We are leaving April 18th. Never had a problem. They just implemented the extra $10 for your second piece of luggage effective May 15th. There are no TV's on the plane. Just XM radio. I would use them again without any hesitation.

Where did you see that info on the $10.00 extra per bag?:cool: i booked before that press release was set up, do you think they will grandfather us , because that was one of the reasons we booked with them because of the bags!

I got this from their website. Don't know if they would grandfather you in. Give them a call.

Free Baggage Allowance

Through May 14, 2008 — For each fare-paying customer, AirTran Airways allows two (2) checked pieces free of charge, with size limitations. The maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 61 inches (length + width + height).

Effective May 15, 2008 — The charge for a second checked bag will be $10. For each fare-paying customer, AirTran Airways will allow one (1) checked piece free of charge, with size and weight limitations.

Military personnel may check one (1) duffel bag or sea bag in place of a 61-inch bag.

Any customer who requires use of a wheelchair may have it checked as baggage at no charge, and it will not be considered part of the passenger's free baggage allowance.

Free baggage allowance takes into consideration the reasonable baggage requirements of customers, as well as the cargo space and weight limitations of the aircraft. Customers desiring to carry more than permitted by the free allowance may do so, if pieces offered do not exceed the size and weight limits and the appropriate excess baggage is paid.

Excess Baggage

Effective May 15, 2008 -- The charge for a second checked bag will be $10. For each fare-paying customer, AirTran Airways will allow one (1) checked piece free of charge, with size and weight limitations.

They have changed my return flight several times also. I booked in Feb. for an Aug. flight and since booking my flight times have changed 3x. I don't care what time my origin flight takes off but my return flight has me real worried now with the change. It is a direct flight home from Tampa. I am waiting to see if it changes back to the original time or later but if it doesn't I will have to change my flight to a later time which means I will have a layover and won't get home till 11:30pm or so then have to drive 1hr 30min to my house. I really hope it changes back to the original time I bought the ticket for.

They have changed my return flight several times also. I booked in Feb. for an Aug. flight and since booking my flight times have changed 3x.

YIKES!! I guess flying out down there isn't such a big deal since we are coming a day early, but I don't want an 8 am flight coming home when we don't even get to port until 7 am! Wonder what they do if you absolutely cannot make the 'changed' flight?? :confused:

YIKES!! I guess flying out down there isn't such a big deal since we are coming a day early, but I don't want an 8 am flight coming home when we don't even get to port until 7 am! Wonder what they do if you absolutely cannot make the 'changed' flight?? :confused:

It's always a good idea to periodically re-check the airline's flight itinerary, especially if you've booked far in advance. Some will tell you, some won't, and some do it in a backwards fashion. I know more than once I've gone online to check our reservations, and gotten a note to "please call 1-800-xxx-xxxx about your reservation." Usually, it's just something simple (a ten-minute shift in flight times, or maybe a change in flight number), but it's still important to know!

Then, there was my BIL's experience with Alaska Air (which is a good line, from my experience and his). He'd booked the family vacation - an Alaska one-way cruise - out of DC, flying out of Dulles (IAD) on Alaska Air, and back via ATA back to IAD. In between, Alaska Air switched all DC-based flights to Reagan National (DCA), and the only reason he knew is because I'd read about it elsewhere and mentioned it to him. They didn't tell him about the switch because "it's considered to be the same area." :confused: At least he found out about it early enough to make adjustments in the travel plans!

We've flown Air Tran twice and generally have been pleased with them. This past February, we ended up with our departing flight being delayed two hours due to a combination of weather and crew schedules (they "timed out"), with the result that we would miss our connecting flight from Atlanta to Miami. Since they knew even before we left that we wouldn't make our connection and couldn't book us on a later flight that evening, they booked us a hotel room in Atlanta even before we left on our delayed flight - all we had to do when we arrived in Atlanta was find the shuttle to the hotel. They booked us on an early flight the following morning and we arrived in Miami by 9:30. Yes, it was a pain to miss our connecting flight, but they were very upfront with us about the missed connection and treated us well. (Completely unlike my experience with the larger airlines when it comes to delays and missed connections.:rolleyes:)

They offered the upgrades to business class on each flight we took in February. I was very tempted to take the offer!

We've used Air Tran out of Midway in Chicago. I've always been happy with the service but more importantly the price. They offer some outrageous deals every now and again. A previous poster did make a point about them moving departure times around. Last October it was moved two hours :eek: They did keep emailing me. I haven't heard anything lately on our upcoming flight to Miami so I thought I'd check the site, sure enough it has been moved up 20 minutes - I have not been contacted. This is kind of nerve racking.

• 5 months later...

I read this thread and called Air Tran immediately. Sure enough, the times have been changed! I booked my ticket back in Febuary for my November cruise. I have never been sent an email telling me otherwise... but almost a two hour difference in departure time now. :mad: I would have been looking crazy when I got to the airport had I never found this thread. THANK YOU!

We leave this December for Fort Lauderdale, nonstop from Pittsburgh. I bought 8 tickets in May for $59.00(including tax)a piece. We flew last December to Orlando, nonstop and upgraded to 1st class on the flight down. It was an additional $40 per person, but a nice treat. We prefer Airtran over US Airways, and try to fly them whenever possible. Janice

I flew Air Tran a year or so ago, and as everyone has said the flights were on time and the service was great. My only complaint was that both planes we were on were SO hot! I don't know if there was a problem with both flights or this is common. I highly recommend the airline but just wanted to caution you to wear layers as the temperature can be unpredictable, but I guess it is that way with all planes. Have a great trip!

Archived