Cephalonia / Kefalonia ~ Best beaches in Argostoli area?

Hi.

Are sailing to Kefalonia on 19/5/08 and the ship will be tendering in Argostoli bay.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the local beaches ~ ideally we want something with a taverna nearby and within a 15minute stroll, with no objections to me going topless (On the beach NOT in the Taverna ~ lol!).

If you have any ideas please let me know

Shelley

Hi Shelley

We have visited Kefalonia four times - so have now spent eight weeks there - it's our favourite Greek island. We know the island extremely well as we always hire a car and have driven around it many times. There are no beaches you can walk to near Argostoli. I'm not sure how long you are going to be there but suggest that if you are there for a day you walk to the square in Argostoli, take a taxi from the rank at the side of the square and ask them to take you to either Xi beach which has dark red sand or to Lassi which has some of the best beaches on the island. I would choose Lassi. It's no more than 5 euros in a taxi and should take about 10 minutes max to get there. Ask them to take you to the Hotel Mediterranee where we stay. When you arrive at the hotel just go to the beach at the back of the hotel. It's supposed to be private but it's not. There you'll find a lovely sand beach with loungers and sun umbrellas for a small charge. The sea is crystal clear. There is also a lovely taverna which belongs to the hotel at which you can buy a delicious lunch, wine and beers, etc. Enjoy! We're planning two more weeks in Kefalonia next year - it's a beautiful island. Everyone speaks English so you won't have a problem being understood. If you have any more questions I'll be very pleased to help you if I can. Have a very good cruise.

Ros

Hi Shelley

We have visited Kefalonia four times - so have now spent eight weeks there - it's our favourite Greek island. We know the island extremely well as we always hire a car and have driven around it many times. There are no beaches you can walk to near Argostoli. I'm not sure how long you are going to be there but suggest that if you are there for a day you walk to the square in Argostoli, take a taxi from the rank at the side of the square and ask them to take you to either Xi beach which has dark red sand or to Lassi which has some of the best beaches on the island. I would choose Lassi. It's no more than 5 euros in a taxi and should take about 10 minutes max to get there. Ask them to take you to the Hotel Mediterranee where we stay. When you arrive at the hotel just go to the beach at the back of the hotel. It's supposed to be private but it's not. There you'll find a lovely sand beach with loungers and sun umbrellas for a small charge. The sea is crystal clear. There is also a lovely taverna which belongs to the hotel at which you can buy a delicious lunch, wine and beers, etc. Enjoy! We're planning two more weeks in Kefalonia next year - it's a beautiful island. Everyone speaks English so you won't have a problem being understood. If you have any more questions I'll be very pleased to help you if I can. Have a very good cruise.

Ros

I have to agree with every word you wrote I absolutely adore Kefalonia. We stay at Lassi when we go, just up from the Med. we prefer self catering as I love greek food. The beach you mention is beautiful, but if the poster hires a car they could also spend an hour or so on Myrtos beach. The problem here is that although it is a picture postcard view there is no shade or sun loungers well not when we were there about three years ago. I am longing to return and hope that will be next year. BTW it is a 30/40 minute walk from Argostoli to lassi so a taxi is definately the answer. There are also buses that go right by the top of the road that goes down to the beach.

Cheers Guys,

We are in port for the day ~ so Lassi sounds like a good idea and cheaper tha the £20 per adult and £10 per child Ocean Village are charging for a beach visit. Speak a bit of greek so thats not a prob!

Shell

I have to agree with every word you wrote I absolutely adore Kefalonia. We stay at Lassi when we go, just up from the Med. we prefer self catering as I love greek food. The beach you mention is beautiful, but if the poster hires a car they could also spend an hour or so on Myrtos beach. The problem here is that although it is a picture postcard view there is no shade or sun loungers well not when we were there about three years ago. I am longing to return and hope that will be next year. BTW it is a 30/40 minute walk from Argostoli to lassi so a taxi is definately the answer. There are also buses that go right by the top of the road that goes down to the beach.

Hi Ally and Shelley

I would agree about Myrtos Beach - no shade and no real amenities. Also the long, winding road to get down to it. There are buses as you say that go to Lassi but they're quite infrequent. Shelley - when you leave the beach to return to the ship, if there are no taxis waiting at the front of the hotel - sometimes there are - then just walk up the little hill to the main road and you'll get a taxi from there. And by the way, you can go topless on the beach!

Ros

Archived