labadee

bdm

Don't know if there is any relationship to your question, but when I try to access my reservation, it says in red that the reservation is being modified. It was there yesterday. Our cruise is not until December, Labadee was the only new port, I hope it does not get changed.

The unrest is occuring near Port au Prince, the capital. That is on the southern coast of Haiti. Labadee is on the north shore--quite a distance! I'm pretty sure they don't want anything to upset the money they make from RCI's lease!

There should be no problems!

The unrest is occuring near Port au Prince, the capital. That is on the southern coast of Haiti. Labadee is on the north shore--quite a distance! I'm pretty sure they don't want anything to upset the money they make from RCI's lease!

There should be no problems!

I doubt the people causing the civil unrest care at all about blocking the money coming into Labadee. In fact, if they wanted thier cause to be heard by everyone, they could protest near Labadee to wake up the people receiving the money from the tourist area, i.e. Olympic Torch issues.

did the liberty go to labadee last week. we are leaving on 4/19 and are concerned about whats going on

Several times there has been extreme unrest in Labadee and RCI will cancel that port if there is a direct possibility passengers will not be safe. They did stop going for a couple of years quite some time ago. Poverty is part of that entire island and you never know when the unrest could spread closer to Labadee. The cruise lines monitor things like this constantly. We were one of the last ships to stop in Venezuala and they kept us informed every day as we got closer if we were going to be able to stop. Apparently the Chavez supporters/foes were getting along the day we docked.

There is another thread with other info.

Don't be mislead about the unrest in Haiti being only around Port-au-Prince. In Les Cayes, a city on the southern peninsula has had 5 people killed and the UN compound burned. There has been unrest in Cap Haitien, the nearest city to Labadee and even Jeremie, a small city at the north western end of Haiti.

You have to remember, this is not politically based as with other uprisings and protests, it is hunger and subsistance based. When you have mothers feeding their children dirt cookies and the price of cooking oil has increased by 60% and your daily income is $2, the base of desparation goes much deeper.

The government has bought themselves a little time and a little peace by reducing the tax on imported rice. What the ultimate outcome will be is hard to say.

Just pray that whether RCI docks at Labadee or not, the company sees fit to pay the wages of the poor that count on that money to buy food.

• 2 weeks later...
There is another thread with other info.

Don't be mislead about the unrest in Haiti being only around Port-au-Prince. In Les Cayes, a city on the southern peninsula has had 5 people killed and the UN compound burned. There has been unrest in Cap Haitien, the nearest city to Labadee and even Jeremie, a small city at the north western end of Haiti.

You have to remember, this is not politically based as with other uprisings and protests, it is hunger and subsistance based. When you have mothers feeding their children dirt cookies and the price of cooking oil has increased by 60% and your daily income is $2, the base of desperation goes much deeper.

The government has bought themselves a little time and a little peace by reducing the tax on imported rice. What the ultimate outcome will be is hard to say.

Just pray that whether RCI docks at Labadee or not, the company sees fit to pay the wages of the poor that count on that money to buy food.

Way to go. This is an accurate assessment! We cruise a lot but are halting the cruise this year and doing a medical mission in Haiti with fameworld.org. I would feel totally safe in Labadee. There is no way they would harm the income source like the straw market. People are dying and watching their children starve. I recall having similar fears when we cruised to Labadee. It is the prettiest stop on the cruise,imho. Go , enjoy and please buy something from the market! I hope RCCL doesn't pull out of there!

Archived