Alaska RR Questions - Anchorage to Seward

BigUofKFan

The Alaska RR from Anchorage to Seward is appealing. However, we were thinking of spending a night in Girdwood, so perhaps keeping the car (SUV or Van) we rent would be better? This is for 2009, so I really cannot see many rates this far in advance.

Questions - If anyone could help:

1. Do rentals companies do one-way rentals from Anchorage to Seward?

2. If so, which ones?

3. The price is probably higher, but anybody have an idea how much?

4. I see that the train also stops in Girdwood, so that is an option. However, it looks like the trip from Girdwood to Anchorage is the same as Anchorage to Seward. So, unless you can buy the whole leg, and use the two parts of the trip on different days, I would end up paying about 1.5-2x. Anybody know if you can split the trips on different days?

Thanks in advance!

Hertz seems to be the only rental to Seward and they WOULD NOT rent us a one way for July. I thought with ships coming into Seward they would have no trouble getting it back b ut no go. We are taking the train. Good luck.

Hertz is the only rental for one way Anchorage/Seward cars. Expect $200+++/day, less with multiple days. And, yes, if you get off the train in Girdwood, it's another fare to then reboard and go to Seward. Only one train per day.

You are too early to be tied down with fixed plans, so I suggest you consider- IF Girdwood is a place you want to stay at, you drive there, then back track to Anchorage and take the train to Seward after turning in the car. It depends on how much time you have?? And what your overall itinerary is?? It would not be a good idea to consider this if short on time and wanting Girdwood then Seward the next day?? But if you stay in Girdwood, instead of Anchorage one night then do Seward on the other end of your trip etc etc. It would work.

Hertz is the only rental for one way Anchorage/Seward cars. Expect $200+++/day, less with multiple days. And, yes, if you get off the train in Girdwood, it's another fare to then reboard and go to Seward. Only one train per day.

You are too early to be tied down with fixed plans, so I suggest you consider- IF Girdwood is a place you want to stay at, you drive there, then back track to Anchorage and take the train to Seward after turning in the car. It depends on how much time you have?? And what your overall itinerary is?? It would not be a good idea to consider this if short on time and wanting Girdwood then Seward the next day?? But if you stay in Girdwood, instead of Anchorage one night then do Seward on the other end of your trip etc etc. It would work.

Thanks for the input and advice everyone! Budget Queen, you answered my basic questions. We have a spreadsheet going with different proposed iterneraries. I know we still have a long time to plan, but it is fun to "obsess" (as our kids refer to it!).

Archived