Is it non-stop scenery...

covegirl51

Or will I get to enjoy the ship! We're taking the inside passage cruise 28May08 and I'm hoping the sea days will have some open water with maybe land in sight but not breathtaking scenery. I'll looking forward to enjoying the ammenities onboard. What can we expect from Vancouver to Ketchikan, and then between Ketchikan and Juneau? Will we have to decide between the nightly show and the scenery?

You will have plenty of time to enjoy the ship. Much of the time you will be within sight of land but not really close. As you approach and leave ports and during excursions are the times that you will see the most scenery closeup. That is not to say that the views are not beautiful all the time. They are just farther away. You will always be within sight of land unless you cross the Gulf of Alaska where you might not be able to see land. Of course, that is during the night on a NB and I was fast asleep!:)

Or will I get to enjoy the ship! We're taking the inside passage cruise 28May08 and I'm hoping the sea days will have some open water with maybe land in sight but not breathtaking scenery. I'll looking forward to enjoying the ammenities onboard. What can we expect from Vancouver to Ketchikan, and then between Ketchikan and Juneau? Will we have to decide between the nightly show and the scenery?

From the time you leave Vancouver to the north tip of Vancouver Island it will be non stop scenery even in to the late evening. The next day will be hit or miss but from then on have your camera at the ready. Your sea day on the return will be void of scenery but again once you hit the north tip of Van. Is. it really is pretty.

I know what you mean...on our first AK cruise I could not tear myself away from watching scenery or wildlife. This time around we do have at least one full sea day where we will not be near land (sailing from Kodiak to Juneau)...but I will probably still be out watching for wildlife (possible sperm whales and unusual birds out in the Gulf of Alaska).

I know what you mean...on our first AK cruise I could not tear myself away from watching scenery or wildlife. This time around we do have at least one full sea day where we will not be near land (sailing from Kodiak to Juneau)...but I will probably still be out watching for wildlife (possible sperm whales and unusual birds out in the Gulf of Alaska).

Kodiak to Juneau is a thrill ride. Real ocean! Not many people get to do that so count yourself lucky!

What cruiseship goes from Kodiak to Juneau?

The inside passage from Vancouver on the east side of Vancouver island is spectacular, passing by islands and land within 2 or 3 blocks at times. Usually good weather because you are on the east side of the coastal range. You don't get this on the cruises out of Seattle.

Please explain....thrill ride? I'm going June 12th on the small Tahiatian Princess

Thanks

I am hoping that when we sail, it is more thrilling and memorable for the wildlife and bird sightings than for the rocking and rolling, but we will be well prepared for both (with binoculars and ginger capsules).;)

Sometimes even just crossing the Alaska Gulf can be a thrill ride. We hit a storm and the waves were over our window. I never prayed so hard in my life. Didn't need ginger tablets, but I sure was glad I hadn't missed the muster drill.

We were on the "old" Noordam so probably about the same size as the Tahitian Princess.

The open portions of the Gulf of Alaska tends to be a thrill ride pretty much all year long, though not so much as the Bering Sea. The smaller the ship, the more E-tickets you need.
LOL...we once (briefly) considered a special charter cruise that went all the way out to Attu on the tip of the Aleutians and beyond on a very small ship...I would imagine that would make our sea days on the TP look tame by comparison.

• Administrators
Sometimes even just crossing the Alaska Gulf can be a thrill ride. We hit a storm and the waves were over our window. I never prayed so hard in my life. Didn't need ginger tablets, but I sure was glad I hadn't missed the muster drill.

We were on the "old" Noordam so probably about the same size as the Tahitian Princess.

The thing about cruising is this... that can happen on ANY cruise, pretty much anywhere. We hit a localized squall/storm in the Caribbean on the first cruise I ever took, which gave us seas between 15-25 feet. The waves were crashing over our oceanview cabin's window for about six hours one night -- and we were three decks above sea level! The captain apologized over the intercom for the sudden storm they couldn't avoid; there were bowls of dramamine at the purser's desk, and barf bags everywhere; dining room attendance that night was down about 60%. All just part of cruising, I believe -- no matter how sophisticated the technology, mother nature is still a mighty powerful force.

To the OP -- think of it this way -- what a NICE dilemma to have! The majesty of nature outside the ship, or the cruiseline's production of broadway tunes, a "newlywed" game, etc. inside. You can go for whatever appeals to you on each night -- or sit toward the back of the show and bail if it's not good and the views are calling you! :)

The most memorable of our Alaskan cruise in 2004 was the evening my dh and I stayed on deck (while everyone else was inside having dinner) and viewed the most incredible scenery - very calm and serene - near twilight. No one (absolutely no one!) else was on this particular area of the ship, peace, quiet, incredible views. Enjoy!

Covergirl51, actually it's you who will have to decide what you want...taking in the ship or taking in the beauty around you.

With that said, on both our cruises to Alaska, we spent way less time exploring the ship/attending activites on the ship than we have spent on Caribbean cruises. From your previous post I see you're sailing on the Ryndam from Vancouver, sailing via the inside passage. Coming back you'll be doing the inside passage as well with great viewing opportunities both days.

On our last cruise to Alaska, our friend went to the computer lab to work on his pictures. He felt really bad later on when he found out we spent our whole afternoon out on the deck with many many beautiful pictures, including quite a show by a pod of Orca's! I am so glad we didn't miss that afternoon that will stay in my memory in both mind and pictures!

Ok, with the above said, you can guess how I feel. My take is that you'll be doing other cruises, possibly to the Caribbean. Enjoy the ship on that type of cruise (when you are at open sea between islands). On your cruise to Alaska, enjoy the wonders of nature!

Princess is doing a 14 day rt this year.

I'm going on that one. It will be our first cruise AND our first time in Alaska. This California Girl is very excited! We stop at Ketchikan, Skagway, Valdez, Seward, Kodiak, Juneau, Sitka, AND Victoria. We also have a day in Vancouver before we embark on July 10.

Since we're newbies, we'd love advice.

We don't want to fly, and we're not very athletic. I'd say we're game for walking about a mile.

DH loves trains, so we'll definately ride the train in Skagway. I'd like to see totems and bears feeding on spawning salmon, if we can manage it.

I'm going on the summer dogsled ride in Seward, but beyond that I feel totally overwhelmed. Please HELP !!!

I'm going on that one. It will be our first cruise AND our first time in Alaska. This California Girl is very excited! We stop at Ketchikan, Skagway, Valdez, Seward, Kodiak, Juneau, Sitka, AND Victoria. We also have a day in Vancouver before we embark on July 10.

Since we're newbies, we'd love advice.

We don't want to fly, and we're not very athletic. I'd say we're game for walking about a mile.

DH loves trains, so we'll definately ride the train in Skagway. I'd like to see totems and bears feeding on spawning salmon, if we can manage it.

I'm going on the summer dogsled ride in Seward, but beyond that I feel totally overwhelmed. Please HELP !!!

Here is are some links you might find useful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=663095&highlight=valdez

http://kodiakisland.net/100things.html

http://www.sitka.org/

Thanks all for your input. I was on one other cruise - the Prinsendam in the Caribbean. There were 8 ports in 10 days, so only 2 sea days. It was unusually rough, so I ended up calling them the seasick days. I was hoping to make better use of shipboard life this time, but I have visions of being on the deck all the time. Oh well, so be it. I'll just have to take another cruise! :D

Archived