Argh! Itinerary stress!

OK, I admit, I tend to overplan. But this itinerary has me so flustered! The biggest issue: private drivers or on our own? Here is what I have booked so far:

Fly into Rome 2 days before cruise. Sat and Sun: HOHO bus. Monday: Private tour and driver through Angel Tours, who will pick us up at our hotel, take us to the Vatican early for a 3-3.5 hr tour, then take us back to the hotel to get our bags then drive us to the port.

Mykanos: wander around on our own. (Can we get to little Venice walking?)

Rhodes: Old Town on our own (Can anyone suggest a good guide book so we know where to look and what we are seeing?)

Santorini: On our own, hike the caldrera from Fira to Oia and then bus back

Istanbul: On our own so far, we have friends who have been and are giving us plans to follow

Ephesus: EKOL Tours.

Athens: George the Famous Taxi Driver (this one stresses us because I keep reading conflicting info on whether to use a "taxi"driver vs tour guide vs on our own. With such a short time in port I thought this was the best way, but since then have read about walking tours of Athens that might be better?)

Naples: Mariano from Pleasantravel. (Same stress, we could save $$ by using the train, but I like the idea of a "local" showing us around. Especially the stop at his family farm.)

Any feedback?

OK, I admit, I tend to overplan. But this itinerary has me so flustered! The biggest issue: private drivers or on our own? Here is what I have booked so far:

Fly into Rome 2 days before cruise. Sat and Sun: HOHO bus. Monday: Private tour and driver through Angel Tours, who will pick us up at our hotel, take us to the Vatican early for a 3-3.5 hr tour, then take us back to the hotel to get our bags then drive us to the port.

Rhodes: Old Town on our own (Can anyone suggest a good guide book so we know where to look and what we are seeing?)

Istanbul: On our own so far, we have friends who have been and are giving us plans to follow

Athens: George the Famous Taxi Driver (this one stresses us because I keep reading conflicting info on whether to use a "taxi"driver vs tour guide vs on our own. With such a short time in port I thought this was the best way, but since then have read about walking tours of Athens that might be better?)

Naples: Mariano from Pleasantravel. (Same stress, we could save $$ by using the train, but I like the idea of a "local" showing us around. Especially the stop at his family farm.)

Any feedback?

No feedback other than stop planning and go and enjoy what you have planned..sounds good.Take some time to breathe and enjoy the sights.

I agree with Karen...... go - have fun.

The whole trip will fly by as it is...... over waaaaay too soon.

Every once in a while......STOP. Take a deep breath. Look around you. Listen. Try to capture a moment that will stay with you.

I seem to remember a feeling of what I called "visual overload". But there were a few moments that really stand out....one's I will never forget.

It sounds like you have everything pretty figured out.

PS: you will enjoy your private Angel Tour !!! We did.

Yes - Mykonos town (Chora) is tiny. That said, half of the charm of the place is how thoroughly it's possible to get lost in a place so small. But it really is little.

Any feedback?

We will be on the Celebrity Galaxy cruise leaving on June 30. I have done lots of research on the different ports. We will be in Italy 4 days in advance of the tour and we are booked to go on an Angel Tour through the Vatican. We also have booked the Ekol Travel Agency in Ephesus. From several different reports if you are adventerous Istanbul can be done on your own with a good map. At this point I am working on Athens and the more I read, I think it can be done also by public transportation and walking. I was glad to see that other people have chosen the same itinerary. Have fun!

As a fellow over planner, believe me it will all be ok. It will all go fabulously. Don't worry.

BTW:

I have read elsewhere that george is supposed to be fabulous and he is not your average taxi driver.

Thanks all for your reassurance. I tend to over plan early, so I can relax as the vacation dates come closer. Then, when we get to a place, we can say, "lets take it easy today" if we want, but if we prefer to do something, we know what is out there to do. I learned the hard way the first time in London. Had a tourbook in hand, picking what to see next, and criss crossed that city about 10 times in 3 days. Had I done the research we would have had a better idea where everything was and when the were open, etc.

My husband loves it because the vacation goes seamlessly for him. I sometimes give him a couple of options before booking something, but only if I can't decide. We have traveled enough together that I know what he likes to do.

A couple of years ago we did it differently and booked a "last minute" (less than 2 months to plan) organized tour of Egypt through Trafalgar. Since they had it all planned out for us, I only had to read up on what we would be seeing. It was fabulous!

I too suffer from over-planning. There are two schools of thought on this. One is the "be happy" attitude. With minimal time in places with maximal history, art and so-forth to absorb, planning is important (Rome, Athens, Istanbul). Not so much in places like Mykonos. Be happy is the way to go there. The other school of thought is to plan, plan, plan everything ..... you'll be dispapointed if you try do this. A good plan is to be prepared, if you have a plan, to adapt and change it. For example, if you've planned to go to some place like the Borghese Museum in Rome and it turns out its unexpectedly closed for repairs (happens a lot in Italy), have a back-up plan and make sure it doesn't ruin your day .... like just go sit in one of the wondeful squares that fill Rome and eat and drink wine and watch people go by.

I'd plan a couple of guided walking tours in Rome if you have more than 2 days .... the Vatican is one such place to use a guide. Forget about tours done in a car. You'll spend a lot of time in traffic and they are expensive. There are also some interesting off beat tours in Rome if you are interested in these .... like the catacombs and the old Jewish sections. Rome proper is very easy to get around in. Just search internet travel forums and you'll find people who've been there, done that and will link you to various web sites on transportation in Rome.

Athens is to be done by walking. As has already been mentioned the Acroplolis is easily reached by the train from Piraeus and you can get a rent-a-tour there (recommended). Athens has a ton of very, very good museums however, they are widely disperesed and you have to deal with Athens trafiic to get to them all. If you are a museum person, research your interests first and choose wisely.

Finallly, plan Mondays for doing mostly nothing in Italy. Lots of stuff is closed. Check web sites or travel sites carefully for hours.

Itinerary stress, I fully understand. Having never been to Europe before, CC and Trip Advisor has been a godsend to us.

We are in Venice for two nights pre cruise, booked a tour for the full day we are there then doing our own thing while waiting to board the ship.

On the cruise

Bari, Italy.....nothing booked yet...do it on our own

Katakolon (Olympia) maybe booking the tour when we get on the boat (so disorganised of us):o

Santorini - nothing booked here either but have seen some great things to do (also very disorganised of us):o

Mykonos - we are there from 8pm until 2pm so I think it will be a roam around town.

Athens - booked with Paul from Athens Taxis, have seen many many good posts regarding his service and from his emails seems like it will be a great day.

Corfu - nothing booked

Dubrovnik - going to walk the wall and the old town.

Train from Venice to Rome booked - concern that they will let us off the ship in time for the train (have given ourselves 2.5 hours once again from advice from other travellers.

Rome for three nights, once again have booked a grand tour + the vatican which we are taking over two days.

Time is getting close and I just hope that everything is organised properly. I am the organiser in the family I stress about it all. Once I am there it will be fine...I know that....I will repeat that a few more times over the next two weeks!!!!

Archived