Starboard or Port side for balcony, which is best?

SecondComing

We are first time cruisers and are looking for a Southern Carribean Route out of San Juan, the Victory. Is there a difference between the two sides for port calls, sunsets, or wind from a balcony cabin? It looks like we leave San Juan late at night, so maybe no difference, apparently most of the sailing is done after dusk. We then go to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts and then back to San Juan, arriving at about 7AM. I'm leaning towards the starboard side, but looking for guidance. My hopes are to sit out on the balcony and watch the port activity and landscape before dinner and after shore excursions. We plan on late seating for dinner, so perhaps we could watch a sunset or two from there as well. Just hoping to enhance our first cruise experience.

Anyone have some advice or experience on this route?

We are first time cruisers and are looking for a Southern Carribean Route out of San Juan, the Victory. Is there a difference between the two sides for port calls, sunsets, or wind from a balcony cabin? It looks like we leave San Juan late at night, so maybe no difference, apparently most of the sailing is done after dusk. We then go to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts and then back to San Juan, arriving at about 7AM. I'm leaning towards the starboard side, but looking for guidance. My hopes are to sit out on the balcony and watch the port activity and landscape before dinner and after shore excursions. We plan on late seating for dinner, so perhaps we could watch a sunset or two from there as well. Just hoping to enhance our first cruise experience.

We sailed on the Destiny last Oct doing pretty much this same itinerary. I would suggest getting an aft cabin. You can't go wrong there. You would be able to see both sides.

The ship may dock on either the port or starboard side so don't count on that. I look at the direction that the ship is sailing and determine which side of the ship will have the most sunsets and book on that side. Have a great trip...we've been to all of those ports except Antigua and Dominica (which we'll hit on our cruise next year)...you're going to have a ball.

We are first time cruisers and are looking for a Southern Carribean Route out of San Juan, the Victory. Is there a difference between the two sides for port calls, sunsets, or wind from a balcony cabin?

As someone mentioned, the ship can dock on either side, depending on available dock space. DW and I always book on the port side which makes it easier to remember how to get to different areas as we are familiar with that side of the ship. Just enjoy your cruise as either side is great.:cool:

Archived