Trunk vs. Magen's

CatFan00

From what I have gathered, these seem to be the nicest beaches on St. John's and St. Thomas respectively. I would love to hear form any that have been to either, but especially those that have been to both. Anyone that has been to Trunk and others on St. John's please advise if you recommend any over Trunk. My wife and I just prefer laying on beautiful sand and looking at crystal clear water. Thanks all!

Sorry, but I haven't been to Magens. And unless we ever book an extended stay on the island I doubt that we ever will, because every chance we can we will go back to Trunk Bay. I can't imagine a more perfect beach. The sand is like powdered sugar. The water is crystal clear and beautiful. My husband isn't fond of water and rarely goes in. But he spent more than an hour in the water with us there! They have nice bathrooms and showers. They have gear to rent that is not exorbitantly priced. They have a decent snack shack with sandwiches, soda and beer. But even without all that, it is the beauty of the spot that will stay with you. You should definitely pick Trunk Bay.

-Laurie

We have been to st thomas maybe five times off cruises and four times we have been to meggans and once to trunk bay.....we feel being on a restricted time frame meggans is ideal for us...it is beautiful, has a very easy beach for walking and has a nice restaurant/bar. and if you are lucky, you'll see a wedding or two.....the beach is long enough so crowding does not have to be an issue...on the other hand, i couldnt believe the beauty of the water and sand on st john.....try them both....i only wish i had a week or two instead of 8 hrs.......have fun

Cabs are readily available when you get off the ship....I can't remember exactly what the cost was though.....It probably about 20 for the round trip for two people....there is also a fee to get into the beach area of about 4 total for two. someone should chime in here on the taxi fare....there are plenty of cabs to come back so don't worry bout that....it's about a 15-20 minute cab ride....straight up an straight down....actually on winding roads but there isnt much flat ground here. We always have a hamburger, fries an a beer before we head back to the ship......have fun....overall this is our favorite place to go for the day on earth.

We made a deal with one of the open air cabs(basically like a safari vehicle or modified truck) that pick up at the dock. I think it turned out to be around 20/person inc tip. The driver took us all over the island, stopping whenever we saw something interesting. He also took us to Megans bay, and when I mentioned snorkeling, first thing he said was coki beach. He asked us how long we wanted to stay, what time we needed to be back on the ship, and was there waiting for us when we were done. I'll never do a ship excursion.

Have fun,

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

We were off the ship very early. Had reserved a rental car. Rental office wasn't open at 8am as we were told it would be. We didn't want to wait, so canceled the car, got a driver and it was great. We would not rent a car on St. Thomas - LOTS of traffic and steep hills, narrow roads, stressful driving. Anyway, the driver took us to Megan's Bay first. We were there so early we didn't have to pay just to get out and look at it and walk a little on the beach. From there we went to Coki Beach. Kids went to Coral World, adjacent to the beach, while the rest of us (there were 7 of us) spent most of the day on the beach. We loved it there. Driver came back to pick us up at the appointed time, and from there we visited Sapphire Beach for an hour or so, and then to Morningstar Beach just so we could see it and walk around for a few minutes. We liked the easy snorkeling at Coki, the fish came in close to shore or you could swim out and see more. Those that went to Coral World really liked it. We'd go back there. I don't remember what the cost for the driver was, but it was very reasonable and he provided a great day for us.

Archived