How much better is Rum Point than Seven Mile Beach?

knoxvillecruiser

I keep reading how great Rum Point is, but I also read that 7 Mile beach is beautiful. We will be there in Oct. family of 4. 2 DD's ages 11 and 15. We plan to see the stingrays and snorkle and wonder if it's worth the extra $$ to go to rum point, or just go to 7 mile beach and eat lunch on our own after our snorkle. Please let me know the difference in these 2 beaches. Thanks!!!

I keep reading how great Rum Point is, but I also read that 7 Mile beach is beautiful. We will be there in Oct. family of 4. 2 DD's ages 11 and 15. We plan to see the stingrays and snorkle and wonder if it's worth the extra $$ to go to rum point, or just go to 7 mile beach and eat lunch on our own after our snorkle. Please let me know the difference in these 2 beaches. Thanks!!!

hello fellow KnoxVegas Cruzer-We`ve done Cayman 3-4 times. Rum Point is spectacular. Google some images of it and you`ll see why. 7 mile is a nice beach but few facilities etc.

good luck!

If you're going on an excursion or tour that has an option to go to Rum Point via water, it makes sense to go there. It's a pretty good beach, although I don't like the needles from the casarina trees so it's not my favourite beach. It's got relatively good snorkelling, free hammocks and chairs, washrooms, watersports rentals, and a great bar (and a tiny gift shop).

If you don't have the option to get to Rum Point by water as part of your tour, then going there requires a rental car and uses up the majority of your day on the island. You wouldn't have time for much else in this case, so I'd recommend just stopping at Seven Mile Beach instead. The Royal Palms and Sea Grape areas of Seven Mile both have full facilities, including bar/food, chairs and umbrellas to rent, watersports rentals, washrooms, etc. You can see the Royal Palms area on their webcam - http://www.reefgrill.com

If you're looking for "beach" then I prefer Seven Mile. It's got a longer stretch of sand and looks more "beachy" if you know what I mean. If you're looking for "tropical getaway" then Rum Point has lots of trees for shade and feels much more secluded.

We do have the option to go to rum point via water. I'm looking into the rays, reef & rum point with Nativeways. It includes lunch. They also offer the rays and 2 stop snorkle. I've read that they will drop you off anywhere you want on 7 mile beach after this tour. It doesn't include lunch, but is much cheaper. ($60 per person vs. $35 pp) We could eat chips and guacamole and be happy so I thought that might be a good option if the beach is as nice as Rum Point. We don't drink, so the "all inclusive" isn't a great deal for us usually. We like to drink water! We do like "beach". I want blue water, white sand and sunshine! Still not sure what to do. How much does it cost to use the facilites and chairs at Sea Grape or Royal Palms? Anyone been there lately?

How much does it cost to use the facilites and chairs at Sea Grape or Royal Palms? Anyone been there lately?

The facilities like showers and restrooms are free. Chair and umbrella rentals are (if I'm recalling what others have posted correctly) about $5-10 each...but if you take your own towels and plunk them down on the sand, you can avoid that cost too.

The RRR excursion does include lunch at Rum Point, which is good, but if you don't care about eating an actual meal, there's lots of munchies available at either Sea Grape or Royal Palms. (I think Royal Palms has their menu posted on their website.) You could easily grab snacks and bottled waters for a lot cheaper than the difference between the RRR and the other tour option.

Rum Point is nice, but as I said, it's a much more secluded/tropical feeling beach. There's lots of trees for shade, and the beach isn't a long stretch of sand (to me, it feels like a cove, even though it isn't one). Rum Point is a much smaller area overall. Take a look at the webcam pics for Royal Palms, and do a google search for pics of Rum Point, and you can easily compare the "look" of the two beaches. Both are great, and you'll have a fantastic day at either, but they are very different experiences... :D

What is the best way to get to Rum Point? I really do not want to rent a car since DH and I will both be enjoying beverages. A taxi seems really expensive. Is this a time when a ship excursion is cheaper?

As Drew said in his reply to your post in the other thread, there are only two ways to get to Rum Point...take an excursion, or rent a car and drive. You can probably save a bit by booking an excursion from a private company rather than going with the ship excursion. There's lots of reviews and recommendations in this forum, just do a search for "Rum Point" and you'll get a ton of results.

If you're looking for really cheap, however, your best bet is to take a taxi to the Royal Palms (see the link in a previous post) or Sea Grape sections of Seven Mile Beach. There are bars at both locations, and they're both a short taxi ride from the pier (about $4-6 per person). If your goal is just to drink on the beach and maybe swim a bit, and you want to do it cheap, then that's your best bet...

If you're going on an excursion or tour that has an option to go to Rum Point via water, it makes sense to go there. It's a pretty good beach, although I don't like the needles from the casarina trees so it's not my favourite beach. It's got relatively good snorkelling, free hammocks and chairs, washrooms, watersports rentals, and a great bar (and a tiny gift shop).

If you don't have the option to get to Rum Point by water as part of your tour, then going there requires a rental car and uses up the majority of your day on the island..

But whatever you do, if you actually want to spend more than 15 minutes at this beautiful place.... DON'T DO THE WAVE RUNNER EXCURSION!!!

I can't wait to go back to Rum Point; I loved this beach, but as soon as we drove up on the wave runners the guide said, " Okay, we have about 15 minutes here and then it's time to head back." That's after spending a whopping 15 minutes at Stingray City.

The wave runner tour is really more about the riding the wave runners TO these places, not enjoying them once you get there.... doh!

Just an FYI. Plus the water was choppy & the saltwater smashing in your eyes is painful!!! If shopping this excursion it's Buyer Beware!!!

I haven't been to 7 mile beach, but my family did the rays reef and rum point tour with nativeway in January and everyone im my party of 10 was very pleased. The beach itself was beautiful and not very crowded. My kids were thrilled to see a starfish and enjoyed lounging in the hammocks. It was well worth the money and we would do it again in a minute. Lunch was great and my 7 yo daughter got to drive the boat on the way back. That was the favorite part of her day!

Enjoy whatever you choose

We were in GC just last week. We didn't do the Seven Mile Beach cuz my son wanted to do the Undersea Adventure Tour (very cool). But some other family members went to SM Beach and complained that it was very packed with beach chairs nearly touching each other. Another complaint they had were they were only given one free drink, opposed to the day before at Sunset Beach in Jamaica where there was an open bar. But GC was absolutely beautiful. The water was an amazing turquoise blue. I wish we could have spent more time there. Have a great time!

But some other family members went to SM Beach and complained that it was very packed with beach chairs nearly touching each other. Another complaint they had were they were only given one free drink, opposed to the day before at Sunset Beach in Jamaica where there was an open bar. But GC was absolutely beautiful. The water was an amazing turquoise blue. I wish we could have spent more time there. Have a great time!

Let me guess...they went with the excursion through the cruise ship, right? Probably to the Beach Club Colony resort?

The "beach day" excursions through the cruise lines aren't the best way to see Seven Mile Beach. Normally, I prefer to stick with the ship tours, but Cayman would be my exception to the rule. :D They take you to Cayman's only "all-inclusive" on SMB, and I agree...they pack you in like sardines and the included extras aren't worth what you pay for them. I stayed at the Beach Club Colony once, and while I liked the hotel I didn't like what it turned into on a cruise ship day.

IMO, the best way to see SMB is to just take a taxi to either Royal Palms or Sea Grape, and then rent chairs/umbrellas/watersports/etc. and buy food/drinks separately as needed.

On a budget??? We visited GC March 26, 2008. Waves were too high to do Stingray City so we did plan B. We went to Public Beach on 7 mile, with our collapsable coolers filled with ice and sandwiches from the cruise ship. There was shelter and picnic benches available. We used our towels from the ship. Also located right there were clean bathrooms. If we wanted a different snack..... we just walked alittle bit down the beach for drinks and such. If you need to rent chairs, umbrella's this would not be the place for you. The shelter kept us out of the sun for breaks and it was not crowded at all.

Just another option suggestion.

Archived