Amtrak Station Vancouver

CaribbeanCrazy

Hi, I was just wanting to verify that the Amtrak station is only 2 miles from Canada Place. Is this correct? So we should have no problem catching a cab from the cruise terminal to the Amtrak station...right? I'm just a little concerned being we have to be at the Amtrak station by 11:00/11:30am. I'm going to make sure we get an early departure from the ship. We might even consider self assist...and carry our own bags off. If the station is indeed that close I really don't think we will have any problems. Even if we didn't get off the ship until 10:00am...that would still give us an hour or more to get to the station.

The only reason I started this thread is that the other recent Amtrak thread leaves me with the impression that the Amtrak station is a lot further away.

CaribbeanCrazy

Hi, I was just wanting to verify that the Amtrak station is only 2 miles from Canada Place. Is this correct? So we should have no problem catching a cab from the cruise terminal to the Amtrak station...right? I'm just a little concerned being we have to be at the Amtrak station by 11:00/11:30am. I'm going to make sure we get an early departure from the ship. We might even consider self assist...and carry our own bags off. If the station is indeed that close I really don't think we will have any problems. Even if we didn't get off the ship until 10:00am...that would still give us an hour or more to get to the station.

The only reason I started this thread is that the other recent Amtrak thread leaves me with the impression that the Amtrak station is a lot further away.

I can't tell you the exact mileage between the two but it is about 10 mins by cab and should be about a $15 fare. As for taxis, no guarantees at the terminal, you could walk out of the terminal and around the corner to the Pan Pacific hotel where there is a taxi stand or across the street to Faimonts' Waterfront Hotel where there is also a taxi stand. Or if you don't have a lot of baggage you could walk 100 paces or so to the east and catch SkyTrain to the Main St. Station and then walk across Main St .to the Amtrak Station; this will take 15 to 20 min and cost $2.50 CDN pp. You should be able to be off the ship by 9:30 latest so you should be just fine.

CaribbeanCrazy

It is certainly not more than 5 miles, and 2 to 3 seems about right, as it is 10 minutes or so on the Sky Train to the station stop for the VIA Rail train. Which Amtrak bus are you taking?

Do you realize that a departure at 11:00 or 11:30 will NOT be on a train? The only Amtrak train out of Vancouver leaves at 6:00 pm and they want you to be at the station at 4:30 pm. All other Amtrak schedules out of Vancouver are buses.

If you take the Skytrain from Waterfront Station to Main Street, it is about 7 minutes or so. Exit out of the east end of the platform and you will see Pacific Central Station right there. Cross Main St at the light, cross the little park and there you are.

My group of 6 is taking the Amtrak Cascades next month. Due to a change in equipment, it now leaves at 5:45pm. Baggage check-in starts around 4-4:30 IIRC. Are you saying we need to be at the station and ready to climb aboard at 4:30?

The short answer is yes.

You do US Immigration at the Vancouver station, which is why they open the boarding so early. With the 6 pm departure, they close check in at 5:45. Once they start using the 5:45 schedule, they might close it at 5:30 (unless the reason they pushed it back is just to get people there before they close it and they still physically pull out at 6). Immigration has to clear everyone before they leave. If you have a large group and want to sit together, you should be at the station by 4:30 at the latest (at least on a Sunday -- the busiest day), as they assign seats at check in and early arrivals get the best selection. If you show up at 5:30, my bet is your party of 6 will be spread all over. Also, you can't check your bags early. You have to take them with you through the Immigration checkpoint, and then drop the checked baggage off to be loaded at the end of the platform as you board.

I take the Cascades up to Vancouver regularly. In fact, I just went up to Vancouver the Sunday before last. I arrived at the station at a few minutes after 4. People started lining up at 4:15 and by 4:30, when they opened check in, the line was already wrapped around the waiting room. In my experience that is pretty normal for a Sunday, which is about the busiest day southbound. There are a lot of folks who go up over the weekend and come back Sunday night.

If they are running the normal equipment, you can select Business Class, which has a separate, priority line, and you don't have to get there quite so early. If I am coming back on Sunday, I always choose Business Class ($12 extra) when it is available, mostly to cut that line. Business class is not available with the replacement equipment, though.

In some respects the replacement equipment they are running now is nicer. They are running two-level Superliners. The view out is better, the windows are bigger, the seats are larger and recline further and there is more space between the seats. The downside is no dining car, and no business class. It has been running with the replacement equipment since last fall. Last I heard, the normal Talgo set won't be returning until this fall.

Hi everyone...thanks so much for all the info. Most likely we will do as putterdude mentioned and walk over to the Pan Pacific Hotel to catch a taxi to the station. We are taking the 12:00 bus to Seattle...then taking the 4:45 Empire Builder Train to Chicago. I called Amtrak yesterday and they said being we have our tickets...30 mins before departure is fine. I plan on trying to get there by 11:00 just to be safe. She said we go thru customs at the border.

Thanks again:)

CaribbeanCrazy

Or if you don't have a lot of baggage you could walk 100 paces or so to the east and catch SkyTrain to the Main St. Station and then walk across Main St .to the Amtrak Station; this will take 15 to 20 min and cost $2.50 CDN pp. You should be able to be off the ship by 9:30 latest so you should be just fine.

Does 1 suitcase and carry on bag per person qualify as not having a lot of baggage to use SkyTrain?

Hi everyone...thanks so much for all the info. Most likely we will do as putterdude mentioned and walk over to the Pan Pacific Hotel to catch a taxi to the station. We are taking the 12:00 bus to Seattle...then taking the 4:45 Empire Builder Train to Chicago. I called Amtrak yesterday and they said being we have our tickets...30 mins before departure is fine. I plan on trying to get there by 11:00 just to be safe. She said we go thru customs at the border.

CaribbeanCrazy

Have you done this trip before on the Empire Builder? I have (twice) and it's a great trip. I will be taking Amtrak from Miami back to Seattle in April 09 after my cruise. I did that once before following a cruise and it was a wonderful, relaxing, four day trip. Almost as enjoyable as my cruise :D .

CaribbeanCrazy

Yes, the process is entirely different for the buses than for the train at 6. The buses do everything at the border. I was replying to LBCABob, who was specifically asking about the 6 pm train.

Luckysll,

No, I have not been on the Empire Builder before. As a matter a fact it will only be my second time I have been on a long distance train. The first time will be the California Zepyhr westbound from Chicago to SF...then we're taking the EB back. I'm very excited about riding the rails across country:)

Got any tips for a newbie? We have a roomette for both legs of the trip.

zephyr17...I figured you weren't talking to me regarding customs. BTW...does your user name have anything to do with the train?

CaribbeanCrazy

Sure does. Zephyr is for the Rio Grande Zephyr, the last railroad-operated intercity passenger train in the US, which was operated between Denver and Salt Lake City by the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad until April 1983, when they finally signed an Amtrak contract 12 years after Amtrak's inception. 17 was its train number westbound.

Have probably ridden well over 100,000 miles on Amtrak. Been on every western long distance train numerous times.

Bring duct tape.

"Have you done this trip before on the Empire Builder? I have (twice) and it's a great trip. I will be taking Amtrak from Miami back to Seattle in April 09 after my cruise. I did that once before following a cruise and it was a wonderful, relaxing, four day trip. Almost as enjoyable as my cruise."

I did it both ways on my most recent cruise - to New York and then home from Miami - the Empire Builder is certainly the best of the long distance services that I have used - will probably use it both ways to New Orleans next Feb as it is easier to go via Chicago to the Big Easy than via Los Angeles.

Cheers

Dennis

Does 1 suitcase and carry on bag per person qualify as not having a lot of baggage to use SkyTrain?

As long as you can manage the walk with it then you will be just fine. There are elevators to the platforms so you won't have any problems there. The only modest issue is that these are commuter cars so there is not a lot of room for luggage but if you stand or sit in the area where you enter the car you will be ok ....go for it.

I would say it is manageable. If you're coming from Canada Place, you will be boarding the waterfront station, which is the beginning of the line (which means that the train will not likely be full, or will be relatively empty). All skytrain stations are also very accessible so you will not have to manage staircases and escalators if you do not want to (there are lifts available).

Once you get on the train, you should be able to find somewhere to sit where you can be out of the way for most passengers (I don't think this is going to be a problem anyway if you will be using it during non-peak periods, which is approximately between 9AM and 3PM).

Just as a point of comparison in case you've been on the London Underground: I have been on the London underground many times with a 26" upright and a carry-on, and have been fine; while I have never been on skytrain with lots of suitcases, believe me, the Tube is MUCH busier and less accessible than skytrain.

I would say it is manageable. If you're coming from Canada Place, you will be boarding the waterfront station, which is the beginning of the line (which means that the train will not likely be full, or will be relatively empty). All skytrain stations are also very accessible so you will not have to manage staircases and escalators if you do not want to (there are lifts available).

Once you get on the train, you should be able to find somewhere to sit where you can be out of the way for most passengers (I don't think this is going to be a problem anyway if you will be using it during non-peak periods, which is approximately between 9AM and 3PM).

Just as a point of comparison in case you've been on the London Underground: I have been on the London underground many times with a 26" upright and a carry-on, and have been fine; while I have never been on skytrain with lots of suitcases, believe me, the Tube is MUCH busier and less accessible than skytrain.

Skytrain(Subway/Elevated trains) would be manageable. When you exit the cruise terminal onto the street, look slightly to your left on the sidewalk and you'll see a set of escalators going down, take them. You'll arrive at ticket machines, buy a one zone ticket (the machines take credit cards as well as cash), $2.50. You'll see about 8 more steps down to the platform to your left. Board an eastbound train (any of them will work), and 4 stops later you'll be at Main Street station, and you'll see the train station as you get off the SkyTrain.

Thanks for the info, Zephyr17. I never would have thought we'd need to be at the station that early. Obviously, the international nature of the trip makes it way different than travel on the local MetroLiner from LA to SD, for example.

So, it'll be (a) return to the Blue Horizon Hotel to gather our luggage after a day of sightseeing, (b) pickup some food (since no dining car anymore) and © grab a cab to the station arriving about 4 pm to be ready to go thru Customs with luggage in hand when they "open the doors" at 4:15-4:30.

My understanding from a long conversation with the Amtrak CSR was they moved to departure time to 5:45 pm since the Superliner equipment couldn't match the speeds of the regular Talgo trainset. Sounds reasonable to me, but what do I know about trains?

The Talgos tilt to compensate on curves, so the Talgos take curves faster, and the route is quite curvy. The Superliners ride better, though, and they are more comfortable and roomy. They are also running a full Sightseer Lounge that has huge windows. I think you are getting the better bargain, personally. The lounge sells sandwiches, drinks and stuff, so there is food available despite the lack of the diner. Those "7/11" style plastic wrapped sandwiches aren't the best though, grabbing a bite before is a good idea.

I am just kind of surprised that they took took so long to adjust the schedules. The Superliner replacements have been running since last fall officially on the "old" schedule. Maybe they decided that since it was going to be another 6 months, they'd just bite the bullet and adjust to reality.

Any tips on getting seats in the Sightseer Lounge? Do we run up there as soon as the conductor has given us our "official" coach seats (assuming the Lounge is open while train is still at the station). With a 5:45 pm departure, any enjoyment of the passing scenery via the Lounge's huge windows will be until sunset so all us tourist types may be jostling for the Lounge seats (especially with 6 in our group). Maybe send 3 ahead as a "scouting party" to survey the situation and report back via cell phone? I was told by Amtrak CSR (and per their website) that the Lounge seats are "first-come, first-served" and there is no official who enforces a reasonable turnover (e.g. nothing prevents a group of 20 from camping out in the Lounge for the whole trip). Also, from another thread, the west side of the train has the better views. Thanks for your insights!

Luckysll,

No, I have not been on the Empire Builder before. As a matter a fact it will only be my second time I have been on a long distance train. The first time will be the California Zepyhr westbound from Chicago to SF...then we're taking the EB back. I'm very excited about riding the rails across country:)

Got any tips for a newbie? We have a roomette for both legs of the trip.

zephyr17...I figured you weren't talking to me regarding customs. BTW...does your user name have anything to do with the train?

CaribbeanCrazy

Here's a website I found that's a discussion board for train travelers. It's got some real train enthusiasts, so sometimes their language gets a little technical, but they really do know a lot and can give you some great tips.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/

As for my tips - well, the Empire Builder is a great route. They serve you (or at least they did both times I was on it) champagne when you first board, and once a day, they bring you cookies. There's a movie shown each night in the lounge car. The meals are very good, and there's coffee always on in your sleeping car. The roomettes are a little small when the beds are made up, but wonderful during the day. They have little bottles of water and snacks in the roomette, too. And they provide a couple of pamphlets that outline the route and what to see, as well as a timetable. Just be aware the other routes don't do some of the little things the Empire Builder does.

The recommended tip for the cabin attendant is $5 pp/per day, so if there's 2 of you, then $20 at the end of the trip (for the two day Empire Buidler, eg) is appropriate (you don't tip the conductor, just the cabin attendant). Also, since your meals are included in the price of the trip, you only need to leave a tip - usually $1 pp for breakfast and lunch and $2 pp at dinner, so try to have some small bills.

Large suitcases are checked through and you won't have access to them, so take a small carry-on sized one that should fit under the seat during the day. Just remember, though, that at night when the beds are made up, you won't be able to get at them, so have a small tote bag that you can put your toiletries, etc. in so they are handy. Also, I'd take out the next day's clothes at night so I'd have them for the morning. Once the beds are made up again, you can take your suitcase out and put the clothes away. It's a bit of a juggling act, but you'll get the hang of it.

I know you'll have a great trip.

They assign the seats at the check-in counter in the Vancouver station. The Amtrak CSR is right -- the seats in the Sightseer Lounge are first come first served and no one ever enforces a rotation. The seats on the west side are the most scenic.

You could go to the lounge as soon as you board. Just board at your assigned car, drop your carry ons at your assigned space and go. If they don't lift your ticket at the check-in counter, I usually wait until the conductor lifts my ticket when they walk through the train before departure. I've seen it done both ways at Vancouver.

One thing about the lounge is a few minutes before you get to the border at Blaine is they'll ask you to stay where your are until customs inspection is over. No one is allowed to move about the train until the customs inspection is done.

And yes, there are 2 inspections. Immigration control is done in Vancouver station. Customs inspection is done just over the border at Blaine where US Customs boards and walks through the train.

Note about the Empire Builder on the prior post -- no more movies. The movies were were dropped on almost all Amtrak trains last year.

Archived