Is there a way to tell how full your ship is?

NCLSEA123

Short of going on the cruise reservation websites, is there a way to figure out how many people are booked? I just loked at my upcoming May Valor cruise, and the reservation sites are showing plenty of availability for virtually every category.

Short of going on the cruise reservation websites, is there a way to figure out how many people are booked? I just loked at my upcoming May Valor cruise, and the reservation sites are showing plenty of availability for virtually every category.

You mentioned the only way I know of doing it..

In short, no.

Even Carnival doesn't show all available cabins when you bogus up a ticket to see what's available.

I suspect that is a company secret.

No, they don't show everything that's available, but you can call your PVP and he/she can tell you what is available that is not showing on the website. (Our PVP did) It always helps out when you have a specific cabin in mind.:)

Not sure about the cruiselines, but I know that airlines don't like to divulge their numbers for security purposes and also so the competition does not know how well or badly they are doing in sales. Even TA's cannot see how many seats are actually available. When I worked for UA I could look at the actual load factors but was forbidden to give even employees the actual numbers.

Even once on board it's hard to know for sure. The pursers desk will usually tell you that the ship is full. I don't know if this is to promote the brand, or to avoid "can I get an upgrade" requests. Even on sailings that they have claimed to be full, I still saw empty cabins.

Not sure about the cruiselines, but I know that airlines don't like to divulge their numbers for security purposes and also so the competition does not know how well or badly they are doing in sales.

Must be a US thing.

I have selected seats on Air Canada by looking at their aircraft's seating layout which clearly shows which seats are booked and which are available. :D

You're booked, so what difference does it make? It will be as full as it will be.

Dan

Must be a US thing.

I have selected seats on Air Canada by looking at their aircraft's seating layout which clearly shows which seats are booked and which are available. :D

A lot of airlines will show you what's available to be booked, but sometimes they keep back certain seats and only assign them on check in. For example, the exit rows and last rows on American Airlines usually show as unavailable, but can be assigned on check in, either to elite status frequent flyers, or to those last minute passengers who pay the full economy price. Airlines also hold back seats so that they can make connections available for international passengers. Sometimes airlines will show availability when there really isn't any. For example, I have had two first class freqent flyer tickets booked with Continental on Delta for a couple of months, but until very recently Delta hadn't confirmed the seats and was showing every seat in first class available (which made me worried, but I bought the insurance).

When the ship is full it means more tip for the staff which makes them happy,they will make you happy in return.

Even once on board it's hard to know for sure. The pursers desk will usually tell you that the ship is full. I don't know if this is to promote the brand, or to avoid "can I get an upgrade" requests. Even on sailings that they have claimed to be full, I still saw empty cabins.

Sometimes a cabin will be empty because the ship can hold only so many passengers... and if every quad is being used as that and every 3 is being used then some cabins will remain empty because no more people can be booked onboard. I booked our cruise about 5-6 weeks before going and was looking at a 6e cabin for the 4 of us... well believe it or not the price for the 3rd/4th passenger was MORE than for the 1st/2nd. So I booked 2 cabins for cheaper than 1... the ship was nearing capacity and that was one way to ensure more cabins were being used.

A lot of airlines will show you what's available to be booked, but sometimes they keep back certain seats and only assign them on check in. For example, the exit rows and last rows on American Airlines usually show as unavailable, but can be assigned on check in, either to elite status frequent flyers, or to those last minute passengers who pay the full economy price. Airlines also hold back seats so that they can make connections available for international passengers. Sometimes airlines will show availability when there really isn't any. For example, I have had two first class freqent flyer tickets booked with Continental on Delta for a couple of months, but until very recently Delta hadn't confirmed the seats and was showing every seat in first class available (which made me worried, but I bought the insurance).
Not true,all airlines overbook their flights,did you watch..A day and the life of AA hosted by Greenberg?

Sometimes a cabin will be empty because the ship can hold only so many passengers... and if every quad is being used as that and every 3 is being used then some cabins will remain empty because no more people can be booked onboard. I booked our cruise about 5-6 weeks before going and was looking at a 6e cabin for the 4 of us... well believe it or not the price for the 3rd/4th passenger was MORE than for the 1st/2nd. So I booked 2 cabins for cheaper than 1... the ship was nearing capacity and that was one way to ensure more cabins were being used.
Cruise lines has to have a few cabins empty on all sailings in case there is a flood or a cabin becomes unusable.

Must be a US thing.

Airlines will block some seats. For exit rows, FF Gold members, etc.

Must be a US thing.

That's available for US airlines as well. This shows you what seats haven't been selected, but it won't show you how many people are actually booked on a specific flight. More people may be booked but with no seat assignment

Carnival books their sailings to 100% capacity. This is factual information. Call your PVP on the day of departure or the day before any sailing and I can assure you that it will show no availabilty.

Cabins that sail empty are usually because of no-shows.

I recently sailed on the Fascination and was on during Canadian spring break. Well, I got put on party row, and it was rowdy let me tell you. So I went to the Purser's desk and asked to be moved, they told me that once they had their large groups settled then they could move me cause then their extra cabins would be available. When I just booked my next cruise I called cause it was no longer showing on the site, they told me it was just a glitch and they had 12 cabins left. There's a way of finding out, call a PVP they will tell you, as long as its closer to the sailing date and they don't have to count tons of cabins.

No way do I wish to cause some kind of a riff, but just got off the phone and was told about five cabins left for our upcoming cruise so almost full. No I do not own my own cruiseline - wouldn't want the headaches even I could afford one. Guess each cruiseline is different.

:)

Forget all of the lies the ta's and web sites tell you.

If you want an accurate count, I imagine that you could go to both maiter 'd desks for all of your dinner seatings and peek at what tables are available. Do the math....

If it means that much to you and with a little detective work, you can figure it out for yourself.:D

Archived