Airfare questions

vfb2girls

With NWA and Delta merging I would like some opinions about what to do about airfare for our cruise in November. Living in North Dakota, NWA is our major carrier and already the senators from my state are speaking out in concern over what this merger will mean in terms of reduced service and higher prices. The merger is suppose to take effect pretty close to the time we are wanting to fly to Tampa. My question is would you still go ahead and just book through NWA and hope and pray that the flight will still be available or should I go ahead and book through United which is a sure thing but the fares are higher and the route and times are not the best. I am so torn about what to do. Any suggestions, opinions sure would be welcomed. Thank you.

I'm in the same quandry wondering if I should go ahead and book flights. The two flights I'm looking at is with Delta and NW. I've decided to go ahead and book the NW flight and I figure one way or the other, they will make good on the booked flight and get you there.

Since its a merger, nothing will happen to your tickets, there will be more flights as both companies will now be connected. There are many on Fox News that say its probably not going to happen as they both are big airlines and that type of transaction will be like monopolizing the market.

But who knows, maybe the government will allow it since they are tired of bailing out the airlines.

If it was me, I would book the tickets, but just plan on leaving 2 days ahead of time, just incase especially in November.

Fred

Thank you for the quick replies and your opinions, I think I will just take the chance and go ahead and book with NWA, and yes we are leaving two days earlier because it will be the day after Thanksgiving and with the weather one never knows. It seems it never fails, whenever we want to fly NWA was either going on strike, whether it was the pilots, flight attendents or bagge workers, we have yet to have no worries about our flights for several years. Maybe it is time to seek out another airline but then with today's economy who knows what airlines will still be in business. thank you once again.

I am also a bit worried about this merger. I purchased tickets on Delta the day they opened for our Dec. cruise. Luckily, we are flying into Ft. Lauderdale on Sat. 12/20 - cruise leaves Tues., 12/23, so we have a few days leeway if something changes. I hand-picked these flites, flying from LGA and back into JFK, as the times were better for us. Now, all is up in the air, and I have to keep an eye out in case they cancel/change those flights. Nothing is ever easy...

On top of that, American Airline Pilots are now complaining about something, if they get their way, Im sure every pilot will also want to go on strike or something.

American Airlines pilots demonstrate in Boston

061018_protest_generic.jpgRelated Links

BOSTON -- American Airlines pilots upset with the carrier's management have demonstrated in downtown Boston and at Logan International Airport.

Seventeen pilots in blue flight uniforms held signs and staged a silent protest on Tuesday outside the downtown headquarters of Fidelity Investments.

The pilots' spokesman Tom Walters says they want Fidelity to press American's management about issues including aircraft maintenance. The mutual fund company is a corporate travel customer of the airline.

A similar demonstration was held at Logan, as well as at airports nationwide.

One of the pilots' complaints about American's management is the carrier's on-time flight record. The pilots at the demonstration outside Fidelity arrived about 20 minutes later than scheduled.

American Airlines pilots stand united

From staff reports

Article Launched: 04/16/2008 08:06:26 AM PDT

20080416_090826_apilots1_500.jpg American Airlines pilots picket at LAX Tuesday. (Brad Graverson/Staff Photographer)

More than 60 American Airlines pilots picketed Tuesday at Los Angeles International Airport to demand better service for passengers. The carrier canceled about 3,300 flights nationwide last week to examine wiring in the wheel wells of 300 Boeing MD-80 jetliners.

American was also cited for having the worst on-time performance records among major airline carriers, with more than 26,000 canceled or delayed flights in 2007, according to the Airline Quality Rating Survey. American ranked ninth in overall quality when compared with 15 other carriers listed in the AQRS report released last week.

On top of that, American Airline Pilots are now complaining about something, if they get their way, Im sure every pilot will also want to go on strike or something.

061018_protest_generic.jpgRelated Links

BOSTON -- American Airlines pilots upset with the carrier's management have demonstrated in downtown Boston and at Logan International Airport.

Seventeen pilots in blue flight uniforms held signs and staged a silent protest on Tuesday outside the downtown headquarters of Fidelity Investments.

The pilots' spokesman Tom Walters says they want Fidelity to press American's management about issues including aircraft maintenance. The mutual fund company is a corporate travel customer of the airline.

One of the pilots' complaints about American's management is the carrier's on-time flight record. The pilots at the demonstration outside Fidelity arrived about 20 minutes later than scheduled.

From staff reports

20080416_090826_apilots1_500.jpg American Airlines pilots picket at LAX Tuesday. (Brad Graverson/Staff Photographer)

More than 60 American Airlines pilots picketed Tuesday at Los Angeles International Airport to demand better service for passengers. The carrier canceled about 3,300 flights nationwide last week to examine wiring in the wheel wells of 300 Boeing MD-80 jetliners.

American was also cited for having the worst on-time performance records among major airline carriers, with more than 26,000 canceled or delayed flights in 2007, according to the Airline Quality Rating Survey. American ranked ninth in overall quality when compared with 15 other carriers listed in the AQRS report released last week.

Boy that makes me all warm & fuzzy since AA is who I intend on using for Jan 09 cruise out of San Juan. They have the best rates and direct flights from New England but ...........................

I have concerns of this merger as well. We are flying Delta in November to LA. My flight has been changed once now and I have a feeling it will be at least once more. Delta is bad to change the flights by a few minutes but a few minutes is easy to deal with but not if they change it several times. Then the few minutes can become an hour...and so forth.

Boy that makes me all warm & fuzzy since AA is who I intend on using for Jan 09 cruise out of San Juan. They have the best rates and direct flights from New England but ...........................

We flew with AA this past week using First Class and since it was on the 757 jetliners, we were not cancelled, we had a great time with AA except for when they forgot to reroute our luggage and we thought it was totally lost. Luckly it came on the following flight. We also got Great Customer service from AA.

Fred

We flew with AA this past week using First Class and since it was on the 757 jetliners, we were not cancelled, we had a great time with AA except for when they forgot to reroute our luggage and we thought it was totally lost. Luckly it came on the following flight. We also got Great Customer service from AA.

Fred

Historically that's been my expierince too and hopefully it stays that way!

"More than 60 American Airlines pilots picketed Tuesday at Los Angeles International Airport to demand better service for passengers. The carrier canceled about 3,300 flights nationwide last week to examine wiring in the wheel wells of 300 Boeing MD-80 jetliners."

Seems awfully altruistic don't you think?

I'm sure it has more to do with lost wages/overtime due to the cancellations.

The pilots' union (and probably flight attendants' unions too) have promised to scupper the merger. Working out seniority lists for pilots and flight attendants is usually one of the trickiest parts of a merger of airlines. My guess is that unless the airlines throw some serious dollars at their employees, the deal will go south.

By the way, Roll Call members Robert and DW Susan lost their flights and money when Skybus went out of business. No refunds period. Last minute they had to scramble to find a flight home and pay again.

Fred

I would have just got back on the ship. ;)

Related Links

From staff reports

American Airlines pilots picket at LAX Tuesday. (Brad Graverson/Staff Photographer)

This is all because the pilots are in negotiations right now. They have new, really great for a change, union management and are trying to rebuild their union and their airline and make it safer for all of those that fly it. My husband is a pilot for AA. I know it all boils down to what passengers have to pay for flights.. but as we can see, there will be more mergers ahead and more airlines filing for Chapter 11.

There are 26 of us already booked for a January, 09 flight from Mpls to San Juan - we are booked with NW. I'm sure they will honor our reservations, we may be flying Delta in Jan. but that's o.k., as long as it gets us there. There are actually no longer any group rates left on that flight, so we feel pretty fortunate that we booked already.

This is all because the pilots are in negotiations right now. They have new, really great for a change, union management and are trying to rebuild their union and their airline and make it safer for all of those that fly it. My husband is a pilot for AA. I know it all boils down to what passengers have to pay for flights.. but as we can see, there will be more mergers ahead and more airlines filing for Chapter 11.

Thanks, I appreciate those Pilots that can fly those jumbo jets except for the drunks of course :D I wanted to start flying and wanted to get my private pilots license so I can buy a nice Cessna 172 Aircraft and fly to Vegas when I wanted too but Wendy won't allow it and the time I was going to do it there were planes falling out of the sky, probably 2 a week so that was an indication that I should just stay grounded. I took up Sailing instead. :D Tell your hubby that he rocks and I will one day get my license, probably when Im retired. Tell him that I'm only a few miles from Browns Field in San Diego.

Fred

Well I went ahead and booked my airfare with NWA using some of my frequent flier miles. I guess I am just not going to worry about it, I did buy trip insurance and we are flying in two days ahead of time so I think I covered all my bases. The only problem is that two of our flights are only 41 minutes apart, which does cause me some concern, but then this is what makes flying exciting, right?

Thanks, I appreciate those Pilots that can fly those jumbo jets except for the drunks of course :D I wanted to start flying and wanted to get my private pilots license so I can buy a nice Cessna 172 Aircraft and fly to Vegas when I wanted too but Wendy won't allow it and the time I was going to do it there were planes falling out of the sky, probably 2 a week so that was an indication that I should just stay grounded. I took up Sailing instead. :D Tell your hubby that he rocks and I will one day get my license, probably when Im retired. Tell him that I'm only a few miles from Browns Field in San Diego.

Fred

Hey, Fred.. do the Seals Jump team still practice out of Browns field?? Used to date one many moons ago in my single days! :) My hubbie flew F-14's out of Miramar so we were neighbors! :) I did hate flying with him in a Cessna.. would have loved the F-14 (even tho he said I would have lost my lunch!).. but now I can handle his flying in the 737 (he has flown the Super 80, 757, 767 and now the 737). I just cant handle his driving in the SUV ! :) P.S. .I would just stick with those Southwest flights out of SAN to LAS! ;)

I really just wanted to let people know not to worry about the picketting... it is all a game they play going back and forth with management until they get the new contract. Life in the Navy was easier!

Hey, Fred.. do the Seals Jump team still practice out of Browns field?? Used to date one many moons ago in my single days! :) My hubbie flew F-14's out of Miramar so we were neighbors! :) I did hate flying with him in a Cessna.. would have loved the F-14 (even tho he said I would have lost my lunch!).. but now I can handle his flying in the 737 (he has flown the Super 80, 757, 767 and now the 737). I just cant handle his driving in the SUV ! :) P.S. .I would just stick with those Southwest flights out of SAN to LAS! ;)

I really just wanted to let people know not to worry about the picketting... it is all a game they play going back and forth with management until they get the new contract. Life in the Navy was easier!

Yes, they still jump out of Browns Field, by the way I like to select my seats and thats why I used to book America West and now US Airways, on Southwest you have to fight for a seat LOL.

I came close to converting over to a Fed Air Marshall but that meant being alway from Wendy and she wasn't going to like that.

Fred

Yes, they still jump out of Browns Field, by the way I like to select my seats and thats why I used to book America West and now US Airways, on Southwest you have to fight for a seat LOL.

I came close to converting over to a Fed Air Marshall but that meant being alway from Wendy and she wasn't going to like that.

Fred

Hey Fred... I have sat next to Air Marshall's on flights and chatted with them a bit. Many times, they get off of a flight and dont even know where they are going next.. they have to call in. I believe they are away from home just as much as a pilot. I just cant imagine sitting there all day.. every day... egads!

Living in North Dakota, NWA is our major carrier and already the senators from my state are speaking out in concern over what this merger will mean in terms of reduced service and higher prices.

My suggestion is to book with Northwest out of Minneapolis, if that's an option. We live just north of ND, and our options for flying to the US are to take NW to Minneapolis and connect, or take Air Canada and go to Calgary or Winnipeg, then connect to a United flight elsewhere (usually Chicago or Denver) for another connection.

On our flight to San Diego in February, we were talking with a guy from Fargo, ND. He was flying west (Atlanta, maybe?) and he took the Amtrak to Minneapolis overnight, then caught a $99 flight from there. The Amtrak ticket was $50, a heck of a lot cheaper than a NW flight from Fargo to MSP. Yeah, he spent the night on the train, but he was sleeping anyway.

Archived