Vigeland and Museums on Bygdøy peninsula

bdruzin

We will be docking in Oslo at 8:00 am which means we probably will not be off the ship until 8:30. We want to see Vigeland and the 4 Museums on the Bygdoy Peninsula. Where should we go first? Should we ferry or bus? Which bus is best?

We will be docking in Oslo at 8:00 am which means we probably will not be off the ship until 8:30. We want to see Vigeland and the 4 Museums on the Bygdoy Peninsula. Where should we go first? Should we ferry or bus? Which bus is best?

The following is our itinerary in Oslo last summer:

1. Bought Oslo Pass at the TI at port (with 20% discount). Note that TI won't open until 8am.

2. Took ferry to Kon-Tiki. There is also a stop for Viking Ship Museum, but it involves more walking.

3. Visited the Fram museum first (which is just across the road from Kon-Tiki, and it opens half an hour earlier, at 9am).

4. Visited Kon-Tiki museum when it opened at 9:30.

5. Walked (20 minutes or so) from Kon-Tiki to Viking Ship Museum. You can take Bus #30 in front of Kon-Tiki to Viking Ship Museum. Bus ride will only take a couple minutes. I think it's only several stops away.

6. Walked to Folk Museum, which is only one bus stop away from Viking Ship Museum.

7. Took Bus #30 for 4 stops or so, transferred at Olav Kyrres pl.(i Bygdoy alle) to Bus #20 for 3 stops or so to visit Vigeland Park.

8. Took Tram #11/Tram #12 (they are the same line running two directions) to National Gallery to see Munch’s paintings.

9. Walked from National Gallery back to the cruise (at around 3:30pm).

All transportations and entrance tickets were covered by Oslo Pass. You can also reverse the orders by going to Vigeland first and then the 4 museums. Either will be fine.

You can do Vigeland (a highlight of my cruise) before the museums open. I think it was tram number 12 - definitely in front of the Nobel museum. We could have done with knowing the name of the stop to get off - someone in our party realised where we were, but check on the Vigeland website for precise instructions.

Archived