Need recommendations for L.A. 2-day precruise stay

hadleys9538

My family and I are going on the Mexican Riviera cruise departing on March 27th out of LA. We are going to fly in a couple of days early to sightsee in L.A. We've never been to L.A. before, and will be travelling with our 17-year-old son and 8-year-old daughter. Have been contemplating staying out near Venice Beach. I think the kids would love that; however, we do want to do some sightseeing in Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, etc. (You know, the touristy stuff). What do you think? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Venice or Santa Monica would be a good place to stay. Keep in mind that Hollywood is a bit sleezy and not all that safe. You could certainly see Rodeo Drive, Beverley Hills, etc. in a half day. Consider the Getty Museum too (if you are into culture), and perhaps Farmer's Market and the La Brea Tar Pits (even 17 year olds usually like this). Universal Studios is another option. You will need a car, and a good set of nerves (and maps) for negotiating the freeways. Try to find a car rental company that will let you drop off in Long Beach and then cab from there to the ship.

Thanks so much for the advice. I never thought about dropping the car anywhere but back at LAX, but just going out to Long Beach makes a lot of sense. Since it is March, will it too cold at Venice Beach? I can actually get the Milennium Biltmore Hotel downtown for the same price as a small inn at Venice Beach. I know there really isn't anything downtown to see, but it sounds like we're going to have to drive most of the time anyway? What do you think of that? Thanks. Cheryl

March is too cold for swimming at the beach (at least for me...water in the 50s...burr!!!) but can be great for walking, and you will find characters and activity along the boardwalk there all year around. I would avoid staying downtown. Traffic is worse than on the west side, and as you say, not as much to do other than the Music Center, Disney Hall, and Olvera Street.

Your advice has really been helpful. I have just one more question -- If we stay with Venice Beach (which does sound like a good choice), would we be better off at the Best Western Pacific Marina 200' from Venice Beach or the Inn at Venice Beach which is a couple of blocks away? The prices for these are virtually the same. My son also wanted me to ask you about the Standard Hotel (Hollywood) and Le Montrose (near Sunset Strip) because he found these for the same or less money than where we are now booked. I swear that will be it. Again, thanks so much for all of your help. -- Cheryl

Depending on what cruise port your ship is leaving from you might also consider San pedro or Long Beach for hotels. San Pedro Sheraton is right across from the cruise center and there area is really fun ( ports of call village-restaurants and stores). Plus close to ship..

If your cruise ship departs from the Los Angeles port that will be in San Pedro, not Long Beach. Enterprise Car Rental is the only one that has a drop-off in San Pedro, at the Sheraton Hotel. You can then use the shuttle to get to the pier.

Your advice has really been helpful. I have just one more question -- If we stay with Venice Beach (which does sound like a good choice), would we be better off at the Best Western Pacific Marina 200' from Venice Beach or the Inn at Venice Beach which is a couple of blocks away? The prices for these are virtually the same. My son also wanted me to ask you about the Standard Hotel (Hollywood) and Le Montrose (near Sunset Strip) because he found these for the same or less money than where we are now booked. I swear that will be it. Again, thanks so much for all of your help. -- Cheryl

Hey Cheryl, how much are the Venice Beach hotels? We were going to stay at LAX, some great rates like Days Inn for $48 incl breakfast, fridge, and shuttle, others for $55-60, but saw posts that the area around LAX is a dump. Email me direct if you want, via my member profile.

-Bob

Hey, Bob. I tried to e-mail you, but it said that you didn't accept e-mails ??? Anyway, I'll give you my e-mail address (hadleys9538@sbcglobal.net) so we can correspond that way. Hopefully that will print on this thread, but I'm not sure. Otherwise, I think I checked the box to accept e-mails in my profile. I'm actually out of town for my daughter's cheerleading competition, but they have internet connection here, so I'm able to check up on my e-mails and Cruise Critic.

We are staying at the Inn at Venice Beach. I got it for $119.00 a night, including breakfast. Parking is $4.75 a day, which was good compared to the hotels I had looked at in Hollywood (a lot of those were $18.00 a day). It's by the canals, a couple of blocks from the beach, and they say the walk over is lined with surf shops, etc. I think this is a good deal, but it is obviously a lot higher than what you found by the airport. I've flown through L.A., but I really don't know anything about location, other than what I've read in Frommer's. I know Venice Beach is a fun and funky area, but certainly not upscale or anything. The airport isn't very far from there -- I think they said only a five to ten minute drive.

What are your thoughts?

Archived