Anyone stay in handicapped cabins on QM2?

ChansonDeLaMer

We sailed on the March 10 cruise in 5223. We LOVED the extra space, the grab bar in the shower was helpful on the rough sea day, and other than the occasional noise from the service staircase we NEVER found the cabin noisy.

Our kids stayed down the hall in 5247, and just that much farther aft, the vibration was evident. My kids described it as the "toilet vibrator" !

I wouldn't worry about the noise. Enjoy your trip.

Elizabeth

We were in 5248 San Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale 2007. Our travel agent talked us into it for the extra room.

My wife hated it for the much less closet space and the lack of shelf space in the bathroom.

I liked it ok. I liked the walk-in large shower with grab bars and the whole large bathroom with flat floor.

There was a odd hump on the flloor about two steps into the room from the hall, which kept tripping me, especially after visits to the Commodore Club for gin.

Also I learned to be up and ready on mornings we ordered coffee delivered, to warn the stewards of the hump, so we would not get a coffee and scone and Devon cream shower while in bed.

Our steward soon did deliver a clothing rack, which my wife was able to hang stuff on, and which lived over the hump in the entrance hall, and which seemed kind of tacky. The bed had room for our large suitcases underneath, and the extra bedding could be tossed into the deeply recessed window well, so we did have some supplemental storage.

There seemed to be actual handicap people in a cabin just forward, who had great difficulty getting in and out of their regular room via wheelchair but the purser would not listen to our polite request to switch. These neighbors seemed to be disappeared by Cunard around Port Moresby, and the room was cleaned by a large crew with high pressure water and vaccuum, but I digress.

We did have some vibration, which would seem to happen for about six hours after leaving a major port, once we were into the open water. I thought it might be the industrial food disposal grinder. The vibration was not a bother for sleeping or anything else, but we did not try anything else on the toilet.

I did not like the layout of the room, with the bed headboard at the window: you had to set up and twist to look out.

All the above are only minor snippets which did nothing to take away from a wonderful trip, Oaxanna and her boys of the Paradise String Quartet, each Rock the Opera show, and Commodore Warner!

David in Ohio

4 crossings summer 2008

QV Norway summer 2008

QV Baltic summer 2008

QV world 2009

(packing this Sunday--by by!)

Archived