Does anyone not buy trip insurance?

I have to tell you, we never bought it. I had surgery in January and we were a little scared about whether we were going to make it or not.

We just booked for the Legend for 4/2009 and we took the insurance. I know our TA offered us the Carnival trip interupption Ins but she also dealt with another company which was much cheaper for the same thing.

She said she has had several claims against them because of someone getting sick, etc. and they always paid very quickly.

For 4 of us, it was $237. The way I look at it is $237 vs. $3000 or more. I chose the insurance.

She was telling me some stories about some incidents. One many and his wife booked like a $20,000 cruise overseas and whereever else they went. He declined the insurance and his wife got sick two weeks before. They lost all there money.

Another family who had a group of people going, friends and relatives. One of the relatives was taken seriously ill before the cruise and could not go. The insurance paid them even though it was not someone in their cabin but becuse it was a relative.

Would I or should you take it? I would say most certainly. At least this way if you saved and saved for the trip and had to cancel you would lose everything. If you have the Ins you can at least recover the money and book another one.

Especially if you have older people with you or even young toddlers and you will be flying to the port. What if they get an ear infection and can't fly? You will miss the ship.

It's really up to the indivual but from this point on I will always take it to protect my investment. Hope this helps.

Here I go again.....

The only reason I get the cruise insurance (and NOT through the cruise line) is for the out-of-country medical care and medical evacuation back to the United States. All else is secondary, but nice to have. A medical evacuation can cost upwards of $100,000.

And, yes, on the two cruises that I have been on, both had medical evacuations. One was a sister of a Cruise Critic group. My gut feeling is that the one time I skip out on the insurance, that's when I'll need it.

Oh yeah, on my previous job, they couldn't say for sure if I had out of country coverage. If they don't know, the answer is NO!

And, I don't care if you are "perfectly healthy", and "very young". I'm a big believer of Murphy's Law.

I'm a financial planner. Insurance is part of my business,so I know how this works. I always have amply health insurance when I travel because that's a risk I just can't accept. However, no thanks to trip-cancellation insurance. A philosophy of insurance is you insure against risk where an occurence would financially devastate you, others you don't insure against. I never buy trip-cancellation insurance.

I only took trip insurance out once when I traveled with my parents. I never thought I would need it. My husband and I are healthy and I travel with my 3 teenage boys. But the day after we returned from our last cruise my youngest son ended up in the hospital and had his appendix removed. After it was all over I got thinking if it was 2 days earlier we would have been in the middle of the ocean and how expensive that would have been. That changed my mind and now for my upcoming cruise I bought travel insurance for the evacuation and medical bills. Cause you never know!

We've had 4 cruises, fifth booked for this Nov, and never bought insurance, haven't had regrets, .... yet. But it's a gamble, insurance is a good thing, we're just cheap- or frugal, and if we had to cancel and loose our vacation, we'd be very sad. Very, very.....

[quote name='Desiree D']We've had 4 cruises, fifth booked for this Nov, and never bought insurance, haven't had regrets, .... yet. But it's a gamble, insurance is a good thing, we're just cheap- or frugal, and if we had to cancel and loose our vacation, we'd be very sad. Very, very.....[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you're a good candidate for insurance. It's really not that expensive if you shop around, and if you compare it to what you could lose on the cruise.

The piece of mind alone is worth the cost for us..

Archived