St. Thomas or St. Maarten for watches

Does anyone have any insight on which port would be better suited for buying a watch.? My DH is looking for a Longines, Omega or Baume & Merceir. I have always heard that St. Thomas was the place for Jewlery but I have been reading just the opposite on the boards.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It's been quite a few years since we were on a cruise and we're looking forward to Sept. when we return to the seas -

We too had always heard that St. Thomas was the place to get the great deals on jewelry, so on our 4th cruise and the first one that was going to St. Thomas, I was very excited as I always get a nice piece of jewelry on each cruise that we go on. We were very disappointed in St. Thomas (although we never seriously shopped for watches), and thought that the deals were much, much better in Ocho Rio.

You can't expect to be given a great deal - you really have to work it to get a good price. My dh is awesome at this and has been all the ladies "husband" because the other men were too shy to try and get the deals. Don't be shy, the stores will still be making plenty of money on you.

Oh yeah - one last thing that we realized, the big "chain" stores don't deal much (if at all), so we definately stay away from them.

Good Luck - I hope you have a great cruise.

Dian

My MIL had her watch (Rolex) stolen off her wrist one cruise a few years back, and my FIL and her bought a new one in St.Thomas and was very please with the price of it and selection there was on the island. I have been to St.Maarten several times, but don't really recall the "watch" shopping selection. But, if on the port boards people suggest it then it just might be good there.

Have a fun time watch shopping!

I'm a watch fanatic, which is somewhat out of vogue these days. However, we have generally found better deals in St.Maarten, on watches AND jewelry. Touch of Gold, which we frequent each visit, is our preference. We became friends with the owner a few years ago. His daughter was attending Virginia Tech, which is where ours graduated from. That led to a natural conversation, and led to an even bigger bargain, and has on each subsequent visit. Rolex, if that was something you were looking for, will not be significantly cheaper, except for the tax, which at that price level can be hefty. In any case by all means know what you're looking for, and what it goes for at home, before you start shopping in the islands. Good Luck, and have a great trip.

My DH is a collector and after a disasterous transaction with DI in Alaska last year (they had the watch he wanted "coming in" - we paid for it in September at about a 20% discount and in December we still had nothing but promises that it was "coming in"), we finally got our money refunded and he purchased the exact watch he wanted from another collector on Ebay. We got a better price than we had with DI, overnight delivery, never worn watch with box and papers.

At least check Ebay before you go to know what price you should be bargaining for!

St. Martin.

I bought my Seiko Coutura for 1/3 of retail and I love it!!!

if you want to email me I can tell you the shop. sasproul at gmail dot com.

Whatever you do, go there prepared. Know what you are looking for and know what you would pay for it on amazon, at costco, etc, before you go there.

If you need to, write down all information and politely tell the salesperson that you are going to take a walk and think about it. Then go to an internet cafe and do about 15 minutes of browsing.

Another vote for Touch of Gold in St. Maarten. DH had been lusting over a Citizen dive watch since our 2007 cruise (does he dive? No, but that's another story entirely ;)). When we got back from that cruise, he started shopping around online and in stores in the States, and ended up at ToG this year, where he got it for about 50% under retail, and no tax. They were great to deal with, and we were obviously thrilled with the price.

This may not be an issue for some, but we have felt ignored in some jewelry stores, probably due to our age. We're in our early 30's, and I think that some people have assumed that we're not serious customers. Before we ended up at ToG, we were in another store (can't remember the name), and the employees there were talking exclusively to my mom and dad, who we were cruising with. We walked out. Never felt like we were less important than the Rolex and 7 carat diamond buyers at ToG, and that alone made it a more pleasant experience than many other places we stopped.

I really notice how they check you out when you enter their stores. In a glance they know what kind of watch you are wearing, and the value of all other jewelry you have on. And you will ALWAYS get a compliment on at least one item you are wearing! There must be a Jewelry Sales 101 that starts with "size up your target" and "suck up with a phony compliment" before you move in for the kill. But it's still fun shopping!

I'm a bit of a watch nut also. I found both St Maartin and St Thomas to be pretty good. In December I bought a Movado while in St Thomas and a Seiko kinetic in St. Maartin. After buying the Movado I continued to check the other ports to see what I would have paid....prices were pretty close, although I did find one store in St. Maartin that I could have got it for almost $200 less. The Seiko I had been "watching" in the various ports and it was also in the shop on the ship. Prices on that one were almost exactly the same everywhere, but I ended up getting it for $50 less in St. Maartin. Hmmm I guess in the end I would say that St. Maartin is the place to buy. Cash will get you cheaper prices than credit card payment.

I really notice how they check you out when you enter their stores. In a glance they know what kind of watch you are wearing, and the value of all other jewelry you have on. And you will ALWAYS get a compliment on at least one item you are wearing! There must be a Jewelry Sales 101 that starts with "size up your target" and "suck up with a phony compliment" before you move in for the kill. But it's still fun shopping!

That is sooo true. My mother and I were in jewerly stores in the Bahamas and several employees made notice of my mother's ring. She was even asked if she bought it out of their store. We had a good laugh because what she was wearing was a diamonique from QVC.

Many of the same stores are in both St Thomas and St Martin. I have bought watches (Omega, Oris, Maurice LaCroix, B&M) in both places and have been pleased. As many others have said before you must do your homework before you go. If you know what you want before you go you might want to get a printout of authorized dealers. It doesn't matter to some but if you do need repair work it does become important. Remember just because it has never been worn and has papers does not mean that there is a valid warranty. It is valid only if bought from an authorized dealer. Mid to high end watches are generally only discounted 20-25%.

Screwbit, I don't know if I understand your post, but in St.Maarten you don't pay tax on anything

Was to referring to Rolex, and that the only "real" savings from buying in the islands is the lack of sales tax that we'd pay in th states.

Archived