where to stay

We are sailing from Civitavecchia and planning to stay a few days pre cruise. Should we stay in Civitavecchia and train through to rome for the day or in centre of rome and train to Civitavecchia on the day of the cruise. any advice appreciated

thanks in advance

If you are going a few days early, stay in Rome. If you get tired during the day you can go back to your room and rest. You wouldn't have to carry around purchases. This also lets you see Rome by night

There are many hotels in Rome close to the train station.

Check on trip advisor for hotels.

Take the train to Civitavecchia on the morning of the cruise. Check in on the boat and then go visit Civitavecchia. It isn't very big and there isn't a lot to see. There is a grocery store in the town and you could get bottle water there.

I agree..... stay in Rome.

Altho hotels are generally more expensive in town....the benefits outweigh the extra cost.

Rome is such an amazing place with so much to see and do. Nighttime is definately a must do. The Trevi fountain all lit up is really nice.

Decide what your budget is....then research. There are numerous sites to help as well as info here.

Try Venere.com I found it to be very helpful in comparing places.

We stayed at Hotel Mozart. Very good location and nice hotel. Quite a few of our fellow cruisers from our Meet N Mingle stayed at Hotel Golden. A bit cheaper than Mozart but they all said it was fine and also located in a good area.

Have fun figuring it all out.

I had the same problem. We are staying in Rome 3 days pre-cruise and I found a lovely Bed & Breakfast in Civitavecchia called Casa Mica, but then decided the 3 hours per day on the train back and forth, just wasn't worth it.

My friend and I have a very limited budget, so that made finding a hotel in Rome very difficult. After a lot of grumbling on these threads, a kind soul posted a website for Catholic run hotels. I lost it when my computer crashed, but I did find a very nice looking hotel close to the Vatican for 95 EURO for a triple, called Domus Aurelia. I made my reservations right at the 330 day mark, as I wanted to be sure and get it.

So once you decide on your budget, and get over the sticker shock of hotels in Rome, www.venere.com is a really good site to look, as they have nice maps showing the exact location, then go www.tripadvisor.

This is the link to Domus Aurelia.

http://www.domusaurelia.com/english/monuments.html

Have fun researching, then taking your trip.

Archived