teens on cruises

Rusty Nail

I have a naive 13 year old and am a little worried about her mixing with older teens on a cruise, (she looks 18 and doesn't know what to do with some of the attention she gets.) What kind of crowd is she likely to encounter in the teen club? How well supervised are they? (My brother worked on a cruise ship as a musician one summer and came back with some hair rising drug and party stories.) I'm probably being a bit of a ninny, but I'm a little afraid of my teen being overwhelmed by peer presure to avoid hanging out alone.

On Carnival there isnt much participation in the teen group- those kids tend to hang out by themselves. It is very important that your teen head to the first meeting the first night. THis is where they will meet the kids that are sailing with them that week. (it gets harder to mingle once the kids set up their groups.

May I suggest that you start telling her ground rules for the week. that way there wont be any surprises for her. We took my neices who were 13 at the time. No going to anyones cabin for any reason whatsoever. (I didnt care if the parents were there or not. If found being in a cabin they will spend the rest of the cruise with me.) they also had to check in with me at specified times. (no excues as there are clocks all over the place)

They had a great time. going to pizza parties, going to the disco. but the disco is opened for kids up to 18. they also did late night hot tub parties.

Hi -

Its really great to hear some parents that are concerned with their children's safety and wellbeing. And especially when we are talking about teenagers. I am a fourteen year old girl and have experienced two cruises as a teen. It is much easier to determine the safety factor if i know what cruise line it is you are headed on.

I would like to share what i have learned from my experiences on the Golden Princess and Explorer of the Seas were packed with kids for the holiday season. Cruise lines seperate the ages differently. Princess has one huge group for all teens 13-17 and RCCL has two groups 12-14 and 15-17. Frankly, while on RCCL i realized that i enjoyed being in the younger group rather than the older group which i had previosuly wanted to join. It was a more friendly, easygoing atmosphere with us 12-14. We were frequently subject to some comments by the older boys but nothing too threatening, normally there are groups just like high school. Sometimes they can be big or they can be small. Some older people, and not all - were either smoking or drinking or being obnoxious to the younger group although some we made friends with, one of them 16, decided to come down a group as she felt more comfortable afterwards.

I dont know whether your daughter is outgoing or shy but usually everyone gets the same advice, you should always be careful and make sure you are with a friend at all times and be choosy about who you hang out with, and at the slightest hint of discomfort, the best idea is to get out of there. Being stuck in an elevator with someone who has a drink in hand and who is staring at you is not fun, believe me. Most girls look older than they are, you can see that these days.

Definitely enforce a curfew and some rules. My parents are really great. They enjoy bringing me on cruises with them. When i was 13 on a cruise in the Mediterranean i was to be back by 1AM (note that if it were in the Caribbean it might as well have been 11 or 12PM). When i was 14 in the Caribbean it was 12PM. My next cruise when i am 15 iwll be 1AM. Curfews vary from 10PM to 2-3 even! On top of that my parents liked that i ring the caibn and tell them my location and plans for the next few hours, whether it was a show or just walking around (and you can do that without being mischievious) from a nearby elevator phone at specific times. I was to eat dinner and go on shore excursions with them also. And lastly, they would not go to bed until i returned to the cabin.

I appreciate having their respect and believe it is my duty to give no reason that would change their views. After all, they are taking me on vacation and it is the right thing to do. Follow rules, be responsible, and have fun! Just because it is a cruise and you are on a ship without your parents, its not all freedom, and i think this is the message that doesnt sink in for some teens who do involve themselves in specific activites.

I hope i didnt make a cruise sound dangerous or frightening because it is just the opposite, its the absolute funnest! Your daughter will meet some very good friends some whom she will keep in touch with for a long while and make new memories that could last a lifetime. I'm sure you will have a fantastic holiday, both parents and teens. Its guaranteed that you will, which is why cruises are as popular as they are! I hope i was of some help, if you have any questions about your specific cruise line/ship's regarding teens, i will happily reply. Once again, Bon Voyage!

Diahndra

Hi Diahndra,

Thanks for the tips. We will be on Carnival and the kid's club goes up to age 15. DD is kind of middle of the road in the shy/outgoing area. I'll warn her about the elevators, I would never have thought of that. Another question that I would love a kid's response on is, what are the talent shows like? She is an Irish dancer and plans to bring her shoes to practice because she has a competition shortly after the cruise, but if the talent shows are fun, I'll let her pack a costume too.

Thanks, Wendy

I would pack her custom. Mostly singers. Im sure Carnival would jump on a Irish Dancer in a heartbeart. (How cool is that. - she will get a 24 K plastic gold ship on a stick too I bet.)

She shouldn't have any problem. There was a very mature 11 year old girl who hung out with us 15-16 year olds on my last cruise. There was no way anyone would ever think she was only 11, because she acted so much older than my 11 year old brother! There was never any problem with her being with the teen group. It really depends on your child.

Oh wow! Thats really cool! That would 'nail' first prize any day! Sure, go for it! Princess and RCCL had an all ages sort of one where lots of people did various acts, there were lots of people watching, kinda wished i had entered it myself. But- you should just bring the costume because it would be really fun! Carnival will most likely have a teens talent show also, but whatever feels right! Have a wonderful cruise!

Diahndra

Diahndra

I just read your review and the tips for the teen scene on the cruise ships. My 12 and 13 year olds (a bit sheltered) will be sailing with us 11/14 on RCI. We are very much looking forward to all the activities onboard but have no idea how much they will want to stay with the teen group.

You gave such wonderful ideas and I am going to print your post and have them read it.

Great job!

Eileen

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter has been l5 and l6 and has joined the teen club last year on Royal and Carnival this year. I think I read somewhere that they can go in this club until l7. We are booked next year so that is her last year in the teen club.

I'm really glad if i was of some help because it most concerns the younger teens, girls especially. There are always going to be those 'odd' teens onboard so you should know what to prepare for. Also, make sure your teens go the first night, its guaranteed they'll make new friends right away, just go up and start a conversation to someone whos sitting by themselves, dont worry they're also nervous! swap rooms numbers and plan to meet the next day, and if its a port day, right before dinner. Its a reassuring feeling to go to bed the first night knowing that you're not going to spend the entire week alone! Be careful and have a great time!

Diahndra

Hi Dianhdra, We will be on the Carnival Valor leaving Jan.23/05 out of Miami for the Western Caribb.

You sound like a smart, mature teen. I hope you enjoy your next cruise(as usual!!).

I hope my girls become smart(in the 'social' sense) & mature also. Tell your parents they did a good job!

Hi also. we'll be on the constellation january 8th. i was hoping there would be a slight chance that we'd be on the same cruise!! Thank you for the compliment. My parents did a wonderful job, i do hope you'll all have a great time on your cruise as well!

Diahndra

Dianhdra - Just wanted to thank you for your thoughts and info. We are on the same cruise as Rusty Nail and are taking our 15 yr old daug (who's cruised before as an 11 yr old) and a 16 yr old friend (who is a cruise newbie). I am going to print out your advice and make sure they have all the points down. We have covered some of this so far, but I thought your advice as to elevators was excellent. Thanks again - you stated your facts well and have helped many people. Hope you have a great cruise too!

Hi Diahndra,

Thanks for the tips. We will be on Carnival and the kid's club goes up to age 15. DD is kind of middle of the road in the shy/outgoing area. I'll warn her about the elevators, I would never have thought of that. Another question that I would love a kid's response on is, what are the talent shows like? She is an Irish dancer and plans to bring her shoes to practice because she has a competition shortly after the cruise, but if the talent shows are fun, I'll let her pack a costume too.

Thanks, Wendy

Wendy,

What cruise are you going on? My son is a sometimes-Irish Dancer too (I am a TCRG). We will be on the Glory on 3/5/05. Always nice to meet other dancers.

Tricia

• 4 weeks later...
Diahandra,

What is the first meeting you are talking about for teens/kids. Is this a specific meeting for them only or for parents ? i have a 15 son/17 daughter on the legend for christams this year!

the meeting will be just for the teens. (the younger ones will need a parent present) It is at 8pm at Satchmos Lounge Deck 2 forward. Then there is a teen dance at 9:45pm at Medusas Lair. Did you take early or late dinner?

Hi, dining times are also very important for a teen's point of view! My parents have always preferred late seating due to the rush from leavig port, but it would always interfere with most activities that were planned for the night. And for this reason i managed to persuade my parents for our next cruise, less than two months from now to switch to early seating. Friends would always have early seating and i would be left from 5-8 with nothing to do! Then we i had dinner it would be another rush, to be in time for the 9 oclock activity. But remember that cruise lines are different. The first night meeting varies. Princess had theirs at 10pm, while RCCL on 8pm. I have never tried Carnival, and am trying Celebrity.. It might be easier to check what time things are for your specific cruise. Right now i dont know alot about the Celebrity Teen Program and am trying to find out more. Unfortunately the cruise is in Janaury, and im expecting there to be signioficantly less of an amount of teens compared to my last summer and easter cruises! If you have any more questions, please...ask away!

Sincerely,

Diahndra

4Valeri: I agree with diandra- You may want to switch that to early seating with a teen on board. Late seating - that teen will miss the most of night activities with the teen group. THe dance is only open until 10pm and with late dinner you will just be getting done. Most of the teens will be eating dinner so your teen will have nothing to do between the hours of 5-8 except get ready for dinner. Most teen stuff will be starting about 8- which is when the late dinner starts.

It will be posted in the capers- the daily activity sheet that you get in your cabin each day. It will not be announced over the speaker.

This post has some GREAT information!!! Thanks for everything!!

My DD will be 14 (with a whole family of newbies!!) during our June cruise and I too have printed out this information for her.

I have obtained a copy of the capers from the Celebration and have noticed that the listings are pretty much all the listings are scheduled for 14 and under and 15-17 . . . I'm worried that my DD will kinda get lost in the shuffle . . . you know . . . too old to hang with the young children and . . . too young for the older crowd!!

We live in a VERY SMALL community so my daughter has friends across all age groups (5th grade to soph/junior) so fortunately, she adapts pretty well and has a level head about her decisions (she knows the boundries!!) Alternately, this confined environment has also left her to be a little isolated too though so I don't want to introduce her to situations she's not ready for.

Any suggestions???!!!

Kim

thanks for the teen info about dinner seating....................i must have been half asleep when i wrote that last post,:o cause when i read it now i stated we had late seating which is wrong. We did get early dining so my teens will not miss out on the fun stuff!........:) thanks again

Archived