teens on cruises

Rusty Nail

I'm "requested" the second main seating (got my fingers crossed that we get it) . . . I thought this was a good compromise for all concerned . . . it's not 5pm (too early for any excursions:D ) but also its not 8pm (miss the FUN:p ) either!!

Kim

I'm "requested" the second main seating (got my fingers crossed that we get it) . . . I thought this was a good compromise for all concerned . . . it's not 5pm (too early for any excursions:D ) but also its not 8pm (miss the FUN:p ) either!!

Kim

early dinner is either 5:45 or 6:15. I dont think you get to request the time. You picked either late or early. Depending on where your cabin is located is what dinner you get.

Any suggestions???!!!Kim

My suggestion is have your daughter go to the teen meeting the first night and play it by ear. You will find that teens this age only tend to do a lot of hanging out onboard. Very rare do they get active in the planned activiites.

kdickers, hi!

I faced the same problem, with RCCLS 12-14 and 15-17. Initially my heart was set on going up a group obviously because i thought i was just going to be hanging around with little kids. But my parents urged me to try the younger group, so i did. I met a girl a year younger than i was in the cruise critic get together and since then we went to the teen meet and greet on the first night and got along well with two other girls our age. We ended up spending each day together for the entire cruise! It was great! But of course, there are going to be like the other 200 people you're going to meet, maybe not really get to know. But, my impression of the older group was quite a hit and miss, in a way that some were very friendly to us, mostly the girls, and others somewhat rude, maybe moreso a few boys targetting comments to us younger girls. I was very glad to have chosen the younger group, it was a more comfortable and easy going atmosphere and less 'intense'. Not all, but a few we witnessed drinking, smoking... etc. During the last night of the cruise, there seemed to be more than enough pukes in the carpets of the staterooms hallways. My advice, depending on maturity level, i say go for what you know is going to be comfortable for you. Start there, and if you feel that you arent, then you can switch, but always give the younger group a go. There are nice people at all ages! I'm sure, if your daughter is content with a wide span of age groups, she will have no trouble finding what it is that suits her liking. I hope some of this helped! Have a great cruise!

Diahndra

kdickers, hi!

I faced the same problem, with RCCLS 12-14 and 15-17. Initially my heart was set on going up a group obviously because i thought i was just going to be hanging around with little kids. But my parents urged me to try the younger group, so i did. I met a girl a year younger than i was in the cruise critic get together and since then we went to the teen meet and greet on the first night and got along well with two other girls our age. We ended up spending each day together for the entire cruise! It was great! But of course, there are going to be like the other 200 people you're going to meet, maybe not really get to know. But, my impression of the older group was quite a hit and miss, in a way that some were very friendly to us, mostly the girls, and others somewhat rude, maybe moreso a few boys targetting comments to us younger girls. I was very glad to have chosen the younger group, it was a more comfortable and easy going atmosphere and less 'intense'. Not all, but a few we witnessed drinking, smoking... etc. During the last night of the cruise, there seemed to be more than enough pukes in the carpets of the staterooms hallways. My advice, depending on maturity level, i say go for what you know is going to be comfortable for you. Start there, and if you feel that you arent, then you can switch, but always give the younger group a go. There are nice people at all ages! I'm sure, if your daughter is content with a wide span of age groups, she will have no trouble finding what it is that suits her liking. I hope some of this helped! Have a great cruise!

Diahndra

Thanks Diahndra,

You've eased my mind and once again . . . I'm "saving" this and printing it out for my DD so she can read your advice. It always means more coming from a "peer" instead of MOM!!! Ha! Ha!

Serene56 . . . Ofcourse you're right about seating and times . . . we've "requested" the later first seating (at least my TA did) . . . I just hope it works out!!

Kim

Kim: If you really want the later seating and find once you get onboard that you got the earlier one-- head directly to the Matre D and ask to be changed. The earlier you do this the better your chances. The later in the day youwill encounter lines.

Kim: If you really want the later seating and find once you get onboard that you got the earlier one-- head directly to the Matre D and ask to be changed. The earlier you do this the better your chances. The later in the day youwill encounter lines.

THANKS . . . I'll do that . . . I just don't want to cut us short on the shore excursion but . . . don't want to miss the FUN in the evening either!!!

Kim

• 3 weeks later...
Bon Voyage BaliChic(Diahndra)-Your cruise is coming soon!

They should ID anyone before letting them buy alcohol if they look underage, shouldn't they???

Well, looks can be deceiving! However, i have to say that i agree! Unfortunately, alot of them are sneaky and get an older person to buy drinks for them. Here is a story of my cruise last year in the Mediterranean. My friend lost her card, as you know under 18 have one hole and over 18 have two. When she came to retrieve her new card, there were two. She looked old enough to fool, luckily we were smarter than that. Just goes to show how small mixups can lead to huge things.. that was Princess in 2003. I hope that next time they are more careful. Thanks for the Bon Voyage, We are leaving for America in three days, the excitment of getting there is half the fun! Cant wait! Thanks!

Diahndra

Thanks for recounting your experiences. We are going on the Voyager on 2/5/05 with my 12-year-old son. Did you save your old Adventure Ocean Navigators compasses? He is interested in finding out what the after-dinner activities are for his age group.

We were on the Navigator when he was 10 and he saved his compasses -- but that was the Voyager group (ages 9-11) and I'm sure the activities are different for the Navigators (ages 12-14). He loved the scavenger hunts and something called "Who Killed Shrek?" which also involved searching the ship for clues. He's not really into the dance and music thing yet.

Any info you have would be great- Thanks.

The old compasses? gee! that was a while ago, i did save them but really dont know where i could have put them! The teen center was very cool and dont worry, i thought that this was the best possible age group, im kinda sad im leaving it in a month!u kno if he meets people which he will almost for sure, they will be finding stuff to do on their own! but for your question, yes i remember several of the activities i did encounter..off the top of my head some were:

Prom Night

Dancing and hot tub under the stars (as well as every night!)

Babe hunt (like a photo hunt)

They had lots of playstation etc.. in a seperate room off the side

The Arcade is incredible- huge and always busy! I think they had some tournaments

Who wants to be a millionaire?

Sports tournaments - like rock climbing/ basketball

Open ice skating..

and so much more...!!!

My cruise is in 3 days, celebrity..i kinda wish it was rccl! RCCL rules!

Hope your cruise is the best!

Diahndra

Archived