find your kids

tgjr

I have a question about sailing with kids. Young kids with limited experience with English language. How to find them or follow them around the hole day is the question.

Can we buy (what and where) or rent (where) WALKI TAKI to find the kids onboard a huge vessel.

We are a bit worried and need some advice.

If they are THAT young, they won't be wandering around by themselves! If they are in the kids program, they will give you a beeper, so you can come and get them. If they aren't in the AO program, they will be with you! What's to find???

Yes you can you buy radios from department stores. I am not sure where you are from so otherwise I would say wal-mart, K-mart and Target type stores.

There is also a childrens program for the young ones to enjoy.

I think its a great idea since your children have limited english speaking skills to have radios in case something does happen.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

CB at sea since the children have limited english skills I am thinking the OP does as well and perhaps is having a little trouble making his/her point clearly.

Well the question is how old actually is YOUNG in your eyes? I don´t think Young Kids should roam the ship on their own so there would be no need to keep track of them.

However the ship rents Dect Phones to guests. They work just like a cordless phone at home and are integrated in the ships phone system. So you can not only call the other Dect phone you rented but all phones like i.e. your cabin.

They will not work off the ship, like in ports.

Walkie talkies might work as well, but you should be aware that on a huge ship with all the steel around reception can be tough.

your kids will like certain places and hang out there most of the time. we bring a dry erase board and put it in the room. we only use the bathroom in our room to limit getting sick and every person has to update where they are at on the board. we do spend a lot of time following up on the kids which is a drag! our youngest has slight autisim and he can be difficult to manage at times. but the other two have always been a breeze to keep tabs on. set some ground rules of where the kids are supposed to be, like they are NEVER allowed in any ones cabin!! or in the lounges and set up free zones like the pool deck. RC does a great a job at keeping the childrens interests seperate from most of the other cruisiers anyways!

HI! What language(s) do your children speak? I have found that many staff members do speak Spanish and some speak French. I found it interesting that there were many Dutch speaking staff members on the Mediterranean cruise I took.

Regardless of what your plans are, if your kids don't speak English or Spanish, I'd teach them a few basics like "What is your name?", "My name is ...", "My room number is xxxx", "I'm lost, please help me find my parents", "I speak (fill in the language)". Kids get lost/separated in crowds so a few key phrases can help. If they can't write their first and last name and can't memorize things like "My room number is" you should keep them close and hold their hands in crowds.

As I recall, the name badges of the staff members indicate which languages they speak (I think if it's not indicated, they only speak English). So if you kids speak a common language like Spanish, French or German, you can teach them to check for the little flag or "Je parle francais" type notations on the name tags.

Kids that young should be supervised by the adults traveling with them, or put into the Adventure Ocean program where they will be supervised. You won't need walkie talkies, since the kids should be with the guardians or in AO.

Hi, I never heard of "dect phones" before. Do all Royal Caribbean ships have them? I'll be on Rhapsody of the Seas and am wondering if they have them. Anyone have any idea how much it costs to rent? Thanks for any info.

Joyce

Hi' date=' I never heard of "dect phones" before. Do all Royal Caribbean ships have them? I'll be on Rhapsody of the Seas and am wondering if they have them. Anyone have any idea how much it costs to rent? Thanks for any info.

Joyce[/quote']

Dect phones work great. There basicly a ship phone that is allocated a 4 digit number, and you can call all over the ship. they rent from the purssers desk for 25$ per week. But they have limmited quantities of them, But if your childern are in adventure ocean 3-5 yr olds, they give you 1 at no charge. So we just rented 1 more for our sailing. As far as I know there on all new ships, We had them on FOS last year, and as far as I have been told all ships are getting them within time, Not sure the time frame though, But all the new 1s have them. On our 1st cruise we bought a pair of GMRS radios (walki talkes) but found they did not work too well. So if you can get your hands on DECT,s I would recomend that route.

Cheers from Beers

Tanks for all replys, and we do agree that the kid`s should not run around by themself. I do the kids program will work out well, but with the phone system it will be eaven better. I will rent one. Since they only speak Norwegian (some english) I belive we have to ask the captain to look after them :D :D

Archived