Are the crew allowed to socialize with passengers?

Jaffa

Just wondering wether the crew are allowed to socialize with the passengers?

Can you go ashore together?

If they are off duty and have the time, do they?

Or do they normally steer clear of the paying guests.

Can you invite them for a drink in the bar?

Can you share a meal?

Are they allowed in your cabin.

Or is all of this a no no!!

Cheers Colin...................................

Just wondering wether the crew are allowed to socialize with the passengers?

Can you go ashore together?

If they are off duty and have the time, do they?

Or do they normally steer clear of the paying guests.

Can you invite them for a drink in the bar?

Can you share a meal?

Are they allowed in your cabin.

Or is all of this a no no!!

Cheers Colin...................................

Depends on who youa re talking about. Once off the ship, crew can do as they please, though they may just want to get away from guests.

Meals and drinks and your cabin, it depnds on who you are talking about. Anyone with stripes can do just about anything. The entertainment staff also has more freedom. The service staff cannot. In fact they are not allowed in most public areas aside from where they work. Of course, there are ways around this, but their job can often be on the line.

Depends on which line, also. Royal Caribbean has a no socializing policy. On Carnival, we've always had fun with the "friendly" staff (shore excursions, dance club on ship, and Carlos&Charlies in Cozumel). As long as they were off duty. As was said earlier, entertainment staff and officers have the most freedom. They are not allowed in your room and you are not allowed in their quarters, however. We had the owner's suite on Norwegian Sea in Feb. and wanted to have a party for a few of the crew we had met, but could not come because it would jeopardize their jobs.

Jaffa - my understanding is the same as the others' here, based on sailing on Celebrity, RCCL, NCL and Princess over the years. On shore, you can meet up with anyone - I think the only issue for either crew or staff is gossip, not losing their jobs. On board ship, however, crew (room stewards, dining room or bar stewards, engineering workers, etc.) are not supposed to socialize with guests and cannot be in passenger areas unless they are working. Staff, i.e., entertainment staff, spa staff, shop workers, are allowed to socialize with passengers in public areas but are not supposed to be in your cabin. There are cameras everywhere on a ship and they could lose their jobs - some may take the risk but keep that in mind. So you can meet and chat in a bar, the disco, and even invite them to join you in the buffet or the dining room. Anything more can be risky for them;) . Except officers, who can do anything, anywhere...

Just off the Amsterdam recently, and spent alot of time socializing w/ the crew - particularly the cruise-staff and entertainment staff - aboard ship.

Seems cruise-staff and entertainment staff can freely socialize if they are off-duty or even on duty as long as it doesn't interfere w/ their job performance (such as at late-night dance parties or chatting when they are manning the library)

Larger ships have their own entertainment spaces aboard for crew - they can have drinks for far cheaper than in the passenger lounges (HAL cabin stewards and waiters are Indonesian, so don't drink) so wouldn't make any sense for them to come up for drinks.

I read all the posts and figure that a few observations are due. All 2004.

On RCI our group, a mixed group, met crew that we had got to know in Key West, the guys danced, etc and as just a "PFLAG" family guy who knows.

What makes me wonder is that I was able to invite crew for a descrete drink to my suites. Have the "owners Suite" on the 10/30 Norwegian Sea. We are older, my Milli is a charmer, social lady, I am well a retired Army cripple, but

the guys told me that they just asked "what bar" or place in port and guess what the crewpersons showed up. I suspect the RCI cruise that go to Key West are different. Is there a Gay Disco in Cancun or Cozumel?

I have seen the oppressive themes and the way crews are treated. I watch and well tip the folks who do good descretly. Yes, can not spell.

I liked the officer post as we closed down the disco on RCI and then it was not closed. Will report back early November. Lets us see what the Norwegian Sea does for me versus you.

I posted for a "FOD" event but as usual few ever respond here. But

I will host a Dourthy event in our suite.

robtx100 Good issue: I suspect that you did not ask the Captain or Cruise Director or that like in the real world: I will try the same thing. Thus we will know at least "why".

Joe

PS

Hey, I booked this fast and what are the benies for the Owners Suite: besides a bathrobe and whatevers?

PS2

For those who do still not know what PFLAG is: means the parents and brothers and sisters of those who post on this section! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I agree with what has been written here. My story, on RCCL the entertainment crew seem to have more freedom. I got acquainted with one of the performers in the steam room / sauna on one of my sailings. We arranged to meet elsewhere as well, although he did seem somewhat apprehensive about being seen or caught, but not overly worried.

A totally different angle on this... I sailed RCCL another time with a non FOD companion. We were at the main bar / danceclub one night. Many of the "stripe" types were there that night. One very obvious FOD was being very friendly with my friend, who was obviously not interested. Finally, something must have been said, because after that night we never saw that crew member in the club again on the rest of the sailing.

There are rules indeed, but I think it also varies from one situation to the next, depending on how daring or carefree the crew member is.

:) Cheers!

Archived