Battery Questions

Kcarp

I just purchased the Canon SD870 IS and really like this camera. We take a fair amount of pics, maybe a 100 a day when we're on vacation. Do you think I need an extra battery? Also, whenever your not using your camera for a few days do you remove the battery? Any other tips about this camera would be appreciated.

I just purchased the Canon SD870 IS and really like this camera. We take a fair amount of pics, maybe a 100 a day when we're on vacation. Do you think I need an extra battery? Also, whenever your not using your camera for a few days do you remove the battery? Any other tips about this camera would be appreciated.

A digital camera with one battery is like the good'ole days of film with only one roll of film the one in the camera.

But unlike to good'ole days when you ran out of film they were everywhere for a buck or more two more then at home. Now with digital, many cameras like the Canon compact line all have proprietary batteries that are difficult to find/replace and if will be much more expensive on vacations.

I would always carry a second battery when going out and shooting once in a lifetime moments.

You shouldn't have to worry at all about leaving batteries for your camera in the camera for days or even weeks as long as the camera is off.

The best thing is leave them in, use them till they are dead and then swap out to your backup and at the end of the day charge up the dead batter. Most batteries still do best if discharged to empty before recharge.

Thanks for the great info. I just purchased a replacement battery for $19.95 free shipping. Thanks for the link bakechef. Bestbuy wanted around $60 for a replacement, big difference!

I guess I was asleep at the switch....

Thanks bakechef!

Kcarp: I've never used both batteries in one day on my SD800IS. They don't take long to charge either.

Dave

No problem, I enjoy passing on your great advise! It still amazes me that these big box stores can charge what they do, when there are amazing deals online, often with cheap or free shipping.:confused:

MAC

No problem, I enjoy passing on your great advise! It still amazes me that these big box stores can charge what they do, when there are amazing deals online, often with cheap or free shipping.:confused:

MAC

They are not really all that far off. They will sell the genuine Canon NB-5L battery which lists on Canon's site for $59.95. You can get one of those for about $36 on Amazon. As you said, careful shopping pays off. I just ordered another Lenmar NB-5L from Amazon just because the price dropped under $11 and I needed that much to get free shipping on a DVD.

A lot of people will pay the difference just to avoid the bother. Others simply don't know any better. Sony just started shipping their DSLRs without the little plastic cover for the flash hotshoe because a marketing survey showed that the average step-up buyer didn't recognize the cover as a cover and was passing on the Sony because they thought it didn't have an accessory flash mount. They also added a button for the pop-up flash to the A200, 300 & 350 because, again, the basic shopper didn't realize that you had to lift the flash manually on the A100 and thought it didn't have one! (I was always a fan of the non-auto flash...I hate when the camera pops the darn thing up when you forget to turn it off!)

The really smart ones come to nice forums like this and get great advice, eh?;)

Happy Shooting!

Dave

My S3 IS has the manual lift up flash, at first I thought I would hate that feature, but have grown to really like it, I enjoy having easy control over the flash without having to manually turn it off. And if I am just shooting casually on Auto it will tell me to lift the flash.

I think that the big box stores count on the extras to make their money, I bought an LCD HD tv last fall, best buy wanted $60 for their cheapest HDMI cable, I went to Monoprice.com, and got one for under $5, since it is a pure digital cable there is really no difference in picture quality between the Best Buy and the Monoprice, and Monoprice is very highly rated by some tech sites that I have visited.

MAC

Archived