Embarkation Process ???'s

Bilyeu5

Well, the time for our cruise is almost here. We're going on the May 4th sailing of Star Princess out of Seattle..her first Alaska cruise of the season. It's been many years since we have cruised. Would like to know what to expect. A few specific questions:

1. We're driving to the port (terminal 30). Is there a curbside check-in for luggage? Would prefer to drop off suitcases before parking car. Someone indicated that 1 person would need to remain with the luggage at the pier while other person parks car. Is that right?

2. We've printed off our boarding passes. Will that shorten our wait?

Are there several lines? We aren't Captains Circle nor are we in a suite.

(Wish there was some way we could pay extra for expedited check-in.)

3. Where do we wait if we arrive before boarding time? Not sure how long it will take us to drive up from Portland, find the pier, etc.

4. I know there's some kind of security check-in. Do we have to remove our shoes and coats.

5. Is it likely to be a madhouse, or is the whole process pretty streamlined and organized?

Not sure what else I should be asking! Would appreciate any insights.

Barbara

I cruised out of Terminal 30 in 2005, so hopefully this information still applies:

1. When you arrive by car, pull in the car lane and follow the signs. You will pull right up in front of the terminal and porters will come with a cart to take your luggage right by your car. One person from your group should go with the porter to drop the luggage. When I went we had a rental van as there were 6 of us and luggage, and the porter came with a cart took all the luggage and checked it right through. We gave him a very nice tip :) I left the group to wait in line and I went to return the rental car.

2. Unfortunately, printing your boarding pass will not shorten your wait in line, it will only make things smoother when you get to the check-in desk. If the system is still the same, there is one VERY long line with ropes to get to the check-in desk, which when I went had at least a dozen or so reps checking people in. Its very much like the check-in line at the airport. It may seem very long but it actually does move. I went to drop of the rental van at Budget about 3 miles from the pier and took a cab back, and by the time I got back they were at the head of the line. probably about 45 min. We got there around 11:30, prime time.

3. When I was there, there was really no place to wait other than standing in line. The terminal building is covered but open on one side as I recall, until you get further inside.

4. There is a security check similar to what you go through at the airport, but as I recall there was no shoe removal.

5. Its mainly organized chaos, but its not that bad :)

The entire process took about an hour and we got there at the worst possible time for waiting, so don't worry too much. Remember, its the beginning of your cruise! :)

Archived