Coral advice needed

UF G8R

We are scheduled for the Coral, south bound, June 2 out of Whittier. Last fall, when we first booked I started looking at cruise critic and was upset to see a few very negative comments about the ship. Our traveling companions had selected this trip and I felt like we were locked in. I stopped looking at the site for a long time.

As the trip got closer, I had a lot of questions and started looking at cruise critic again and was pleased to see other posts with positive, some very positive, reports about the Coral. I think that even with the best of companies there are times when their product is not up to par and I chalk up the bad reviews to that.

One part of the bad reviews that stuck with me is that the beds were uncomfortable and that one should request an egg crate mattress. I spoke with Princess and with a written, faxed request they will provide an egg crate but I was wondering if someone who had sailed on this ship in the past few months found their beds uncomfortable.

I heard that the pillows were very thin so I have requested extra pillows in the room.

Another bad review that I heard more then once is that the showers are much smaller then on other cruise ships but I can’t think of any way to compensate for that, if it is true.

We are in a minisuite, next to our travel companions. I can’t remember the number or deck but I know that it is right across the hall from the coin laundry. Does anyone have any advice or warnings about this location?

I am sure that we are going to have a great time and so excited that I can hardly stand it. I have been on this site many many times in the past few months and gotten what I think is excellent advice that will help me make the most of my time.

Thanks, in advance, for any more advice.

Hi there, I have been on the Coral twice and next month am doing a B2B2B from S.F. to alaska on the Coral. As you can see it is my very favorite ship of the fleet. You are going to enjoy this ship. Also you are in a mini so the shower will not be a problem as it is a combo tub/shower. It seems that on any Princess ship the bedding always seems to be bad and I am hoping that the bedding will be o.k. on her. You did the right thing about requesting an egg crate mattress but a word of caution. As soon as you board and meet your room steward request it again. Sometimes the faxes do not get through at the right time. Now if you wait until the next day they may have already passed out the egg crates so just request it the day you board. That is what I am going to do.

Anyway have a great cruise. The Coral is the best.

marilyn

Just got off Emerald last week and the bedding is no better and no worse than Coral. A bit hard but didn't stop us from sleeping. And we had two pillows each without asking.

We have sailed both to Alaska and the Panama Canal on Coral and she is by far our favorite ship. Best part on an Alaska cruise is the covered pool area - the loungers have nice thick mattresses on them and you can step outside to take pictures or step back inside to the buffet or pool. We never seemed to have a problem getting a good seat with an outside view.

Check out a blanket for the week from the pool staff (and don't lose it) and try sitting on the bow. Front balconies on Baha and Caribe are open for this cruise as well.

They also have a salmon buffet that lots of folks like. Plus a dessert buffet that filled the whole stage area in the buffet on Glacier Bay day.

One part of the bad reviews that stuck with me is that the beds were uncomfortable and that one should request an egg crate mattress. I spoke with Princess and with a written, faxed request they will provide an egg crate but I was wondering if someone who had sailed on this ship in the past few months found their beds uncomfortable.

I heard that the pillows were very thin so I have requested extra pillows in the room.

Another bad review that I heard more then once is that the showers are much smaller then on other cruise ships but I can’t think of any way to compensate for that, if it is true.

We are in a minisuite, next to our travel companions. I can’t remember the number or deck but I know that it is right across the hall from the coin laundry. Does anyone have any advice or warnings about this location?

I am sure that we are going to have a great time and so excited that I can hardly stand it. I have been on this site many many times in the past few months and gotten what I think is excellent advice that will help me make the most of my time.

Thanks, in advance, for any more advice.

We just got off the Coral and my DH had no trouble with the bed and I hated it so it depends on the person. Showers in a minsuite are a tub/shower combo and give you plenty of room. To see the pics I took go here and click on Coral Princess cabins http://picasaweb.google.com/mamatrouble

and there are other pics of the Coral there also. Just go and Enjoy yourself after all you are on vacation!!

We chose the Coral 16 months ago for the cruise we're going on in 6 days - and I did so after reading lots of reviews, and 95% of the reviews for the Coral were in the "my favorite ship" category. We've been on 4 previous Princess cruises, all in mini suites, and the beds are the same on all of them - we never had a problem sleeping. I'm a big guy, 6'2" and 250 lbs and the mini-suite shower was fine for me - but from what I've heard I'd have problems in a regular cabin shower. You'll enjoy it - I'll report back in 4 weeks and let you know what we thought of her.

I am sure that anyone could find things to complain about on any cruise, but I have to say that the Coral is our favorite ship in the Princess fleet. The other posters are correct: in a minisuite you will not have issues with a tiny shower.

Beds are a matter of personal preference, and I have never had an issue with the beds on any of the Princess ships.

Try boarding with a positive attitude, and you should have a fantastic trip. There is something very, very special about the Coral which transcends description.:)

We did Alaska last August on the Coral (southbound) - balcony on Baja- the shower is small but my husband is a BIG guy and he was ok. The beds were fine (we like hard mattresses) but you can try the egg crate if want to make it softer. As to the Coral - it is superb. Make sure you try the thermal suite at the Spa very nice and worth the cost. Food was very good and service was very nice. Enjoy!

Thanks to everyone. I will request an eggcrate, I suspect it would be easier to give it back on the second day then obtaining one if we found the bed too hard.

Will I be committing a felony if I bring a water bottle filled with gin in my checked suitcase?

Will I be committing a felony if I bring a water bottle filled with gin in my checked suitcase?

No,I carried on 2 bottles of wine and in the checked I had 3 fifths and a checked bag with 2 6 packs of diet Pepsi,1 6 pack of diet 7up,1 6pack diet Dr.Pepper, and 12 pack of water. It all made it safe and sound.

They say its hit and miss on what they will take from you but you can try. Soda and water are fine to take aboard.

Thanks to everyone. I will request an eggcrate, I suspect it would be easier to give it back on the second day then obtaining one if we found the bed too hard.

I won't tell anyone if you do!;) if it's a felony then a lot of other cruisers would be locked up...

Have a great time, we love the Coral and really enjoyed our trip on her to Alaska. The crew on this ship is top notch.

Hi UF G8R,

You have a GREAT screen name there....I really like it.

I took the Coral to Alaska a few years back and it is a fabulous ship. I think you will find everything fine. The eggcrate will help and most people say they don't hear anything if they are across from the laundry.

Hope you have a great trip.

Go Gators!

We had a Dolphin aft minisuite on the Coral that was about 20 feet from the laundry--no significant noise or other problems. The aft location was very nice, especially since it was a few feet from an open terrace at the back of the Dolphin deck that few used and was great for viewing Glacier Bay. The Coral is our favorite Princess ship (we've taken her twice) and the aft mini our favorite stateroom so far on Princess-that sums up our feelings.

Les

The Coral is also one of our favourite ships; next month will be our 3rd time on her. Last time our cabin was about 8 feet from the door to the laundry - didn't hear a thing and didn't notice any increased foot traffic. Have to agree about the deck chair cushions in the Solarium, very cushy... As for the bottle, I've never had a problem with Princess, they don't seem as concerned as some other cruise lines are if you bring a bottle or two aboard...just don't try to pack on a case ;-)

Have a great cruise on a lovely ship!

hello everyone, we will be sailing on the Coral July 14th southbound from Alaska, first time to Alaska, so I am excited yet nervous, I hope I dont freeze to death, we have never sailed Princess so I have a question, I read there is smoking allowed in the cabins, can you request a no smoking cabin, i have bad allergies and it would ruin my trip if I smell smoke in the room.

also how cold is it on deck when sailing?

I am currently on the Coral in Panama, great day on the Train excursion, checking our e-mails before dinner. This is our second cruise on the Coral, love this ship. We have a mini-suite and the bed is very comforable, lot's of room and pillows.

You'll enjoy this ship. :)

We have been on four Princess cruises the last 4 years and while they do allow smoking in the rooms - we have NEVER smelled it - and we're non smokers. They clean the rooms extremely well and spray them with something that kills any possible smoke residue. Unless your allergy is really sensitive you should be fine.

We sailed on her to Alaska in 2003 and had no problems with the beds-and I am picky. She is a lovely ship and I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.

We just booked her again for a return trip to Alaska in July 2009.

And yes, I am also a Gator.

Archived