Ryndam Sea of Cortes-Oct. 30th-Questions

tjcletsgo

Hi, all. We're taking our first HAL cruise to the Sea of Cortes 10/30. We booked an S suite, #011 and are really looking forward to the cruise!

My question is about the excursions. We've booked a private snorkling tour of the outer islands of La Paz. I've been hearing about jelly fish in this area and, also Loreto. Has anyone been stung by jelly fish in these areas? I've heard they are so small you can barely see them!

Also, in Cabo, we want to book an excursion thru the ship for a Delux Coastal Cruise. Does anyone know anything about this tour? Is there any place in Cabo we shouldn't miss? We don't want to do the bar scene, where can we go to get good margaritas and a good, resonably priced lobster lunch?

Thanks so much for all info. I'm so glad I've found this forum!

Janie

My question is about the excursions. We've booked a private snorkling tour of the outer islands of La Paz. I've been hearing about jelly fish in this area and, also Loreto. Has anyone been stung by jelly fish in these areas? I've heard they are so small you can barely see them!

Janie

We did a 12 dayer on the Ryndam last year, Sea of Cortez and we didn't have any problems with jelly fish. One snorkeling trip we took I believe in La Paz, the water was quite chilly but it was a great trip. I have been stung more times than I can count by jellyfish growing up on Long Island so it doesn't really bother me that much but I can tell you, we didn't see one.

In Cabo, my favorite is the Office, but it depends on what you want. The Office is right on the beach (sand under the table with beach umbrellas) and they have great food and drink. Their margaritas are excellent and when you order a beer they bring two in an iced bucket for the same price. The nacho platter is huge with fresh peppers, onion, etc. I think they have lobster but have not ordered it there. We have eaten there a number of times and enjoyed it each time and never suffered any ill effects from dining there. To get there you can take a cab, or it is an enjoyable walk of about a mile from the tender dock. Just keep the water on your right and walk around the harbor and out onto the beach area. You will see it ahead to the left. You will also have a great view of your ship from there. People will be attired in everything from resort casual to shorts and a T shirt with no shoes (the latter being my preference).

Good idea to do the tour in La Paz. Not much else to do there. I think the critters come and go in the water all over Mexico. Depends on when you are there.

Loreto is a nice little town to wander around. The people are very nice and there are a number of sidewalk cafe type places where you can drink or eat. Most everything is walkable from the tender dock. We visited there on Ryndam a couple years ago when it was the first time a cruise ship had stopped there. The town went all out to welcome us.

Gary

hi...can't wait to go on my cruise on the Ryndam to the Sea of cortez (Feb 14th).. We are going on the train trip to Copper Canyon..are you?

and you'll have to let us know how the upgraded Ryndam was... new soft beds?, extra charge for coffee in the cafe outside the movie theater? daytime cookies charged? what other nickel and dimes issues :confused:

well, at least if they charge for cookies..it will help my diet...I'm too cheap to buy cookies so there's 500 calories daily I won't have to work off at some point :p

I've not been on the Ryndam, only the Amsterdam...but our cruising family SIL and her DH going with us have been on the Ryndam before and will be able to compare /contrast /complain if needed.

whatever the changes...we'll have a great time anyway!

anniecat

Just thought I'd add my two cents worth. Did the Ryndam Sea of Cortez cruise two years ago around Christmas time. First of all, this is a relaxation cruise not an activity cruise. Shore excursions were limited and tended toward the flavor of Mexico side. This is probably because this cruise is off the beaten track. The water was as smooth as glass the entire time we were in the Sea of Cortez. The weather was perfect all week.

Loreto is a quaint little town. They spend days getting it ready for the ship to arrive. There were policemen on every corner directing traffic, most of it of the pedestrian variety. Small variety of shops, but don't miss the local entertainment in the town square.

La Paz is basically a working seaport. The ship does not tie up in town, but rather at an industrial port. There are buses running back and forth all day. There was entertainment in the port throughout the day. The residents really try and put their best foot forward in the hopes of luring more ships to town.

We cruise Mexico every fall. What I would really like to see is a two week cruise that not only did the Sea Of Cortez but takes in Acapulco as well.

When we did La Paz in Oct 2001, there weren't any free shuttles to go to town - hopefully that has changed. The people in town were very friendly and there were signs up welcoming the Ryndam. We walked the entire town on our own - same tour was offered by the ship - big bucks - and we saw the same things. Not much shopping here - lots of shoe and watch stores. Not much in the way of souvenirs. They had a band playing music not far from the bus stop.

When you get off the tender in Loretto - turn left and walk along the shore line. You can't miss the right turn into town - lots of people to greet you. Loved this port. Lots of small shops selling all kinds of crafts. The children took a day off from school and displayed some of their handiwork in the town plaza. A mariachi band played at one of the outdoor cafes. Again we didn't take a tour - just toured all around town on our own.

Janie, we will be doing the Sea of Cortez, 2 weeks after you. I will be interested in how your cruise was. I believe the week after you it does the Mexican Riviera, then does the Sea of Cortez our week. We too are thinking of booking the Delux Coastal Tour in Cabo. I was actually planning to book that on line this week.

Please report back in after your cruise.

I am actually wondering what night will be Dutch Night. I am sure based on the ports and previous HAL cruises Sunday and Thursday will be Formal nights and of course the first night Saturday and the last night Friday will be casual. Just not sure what in what order Mon. Tues and Wed. will be for informal and casual.

We are planning to just do a lot of relaxing and maybe get off the ship for a short while in Loreato and La Paz to say we were there and then just find a place to relax.

Thanks, all, for your input! We don't want to miss a thing! I'm gonna eat all the lobster I can hold!

In La Paz, we booked a private excursion to snorkle at the outer islands, and, we're having them drop us off at Playa Restaurant Pichilingue for a late lunch. I've read that it's a Palapa restaurant where the seafood is so fresh, it practically swims to you! And, you can move your table into the water and drop your shells in and tons of colorful fish pick the shells clean! You can kayak up to the restaruant, too! I read this at www.signonsandiego.com/bajaguide/lapaz.html. You might want to check it out!

In Loreto, we are just planning on going to the marina and hiring a panga right there. They will take you out to the beautiful outer islands of Loreto, Coronado Island for sure. They have gorgeous white sand beaches with crystal clear waters. We're gonna have them drop is off near a palapa and come pick us up in a few hours. I can't wait! Relaxation is the name of the game, for me.

At Cabo, I heard about The Office; isn't it packed with rowdy gen-xers? I'm not all that old (a young 53) and our group will have one as young as 31, but none of us want the dance on table, shot drinking experience. You're sure about the office? We will be in Cabo on a Thursday.

Lisa, I think you'll like the Deluxe Coastal Cruise. We will have done the water thing for 2 full days when we get to Cabo, so we just want to relax and enjoy a margarita (or 3!) and lobster!

Yeah, I wanna know when the Dutch night is, too! That's the night we're going to the Pinnacle for sure! I've also read about a Sommilers (sp, wine stewards) dinner, which, for an additional $50.00, you can get a gourmet dinner with paired wines. Do you know anything about that? I sure hope they have one on our cruise; it sounds like HEAVEN!

Thanks, everyone, for your posts! Keep 'em coming!!!!

Janie, who sails in 26 days..............

Janie, that is the exact reason we want to know when Dutch Night is. Our first HAL cruise we went to the Pinnacle on Dutch Night, our last doing Alaska we decided we should try Dutch Night. Ok, we were not impressed. DH is kinda picky, a Meat and Potatoe kind of guy so it works out good to go to the Pinnacle that night. It sounds like you will have a very active cruise. We choose this cruise for being really different and having 3 Sea Days:)

Have any of you discovered a place that has the new layout of the ship???? I am particularly interested as to where they are going to put the new Greenhouse spa. I have looked at the deck plans for the Ryndam on HAL and haven't seen the new additions. Thanks in advance.

Hi, Lisa! Ditto on the Dutch night! How good could it be, no one even knows what dutch food is??? LOL!

We want to go to the Pinnacle 2 nights, "Dutch night" and the wine tasting night. I'm trying to find out what nights those two events will be held. I'll be sure to let you know!

We'er so excited to take this cruise. We've only sailed once before, that little "Monarch of the Seas" 3 day cruise last February. I always thought I'd be really bored on a cruise. WRONG! Plus, based on this forum, I guess we made a good choice booking an S suite! I read that you were upgraded! Good for you!!!

You sound like a seasoned cruiser.....any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Janie

Janie Our first cruise was also on Monarch of the Seas on a 5 day Western Caribbean. We then went on her out of LA last December on a little 3 dayer. I think she was a great ship for a first timer. We are not quite seasoned cruisers yet but by the time we get thru this run of the next for cruises we will then be a little seasoned.:p We do know that we like HAL and may stick with HAL for a while. We have only been on the Vista Class ships so we are really looking forward to the Ryndam.

Have fun on your cruise, Looking forward to hearing how your week goes. Please report back in when you return. We will then be less than a week till our cruise.

Thanks,

Janie,

No, the Office is not a dance on the tables, shots of tequila kind of place! You must be thinking the the Giggling Marlin or one of the others. The Office is a friendly, casual place on the beach with good food and great margaritas. Families go there, seniors, singles, etc. Right next door is the Mango Deck that is a good, fun place for lunch. We will be on our first Mexican Riviera cruise over Christmas but I have been to Cabo many other times.

:p Kelly

Kelly,

Thanks so much for the post! We'll go to The Office for sure, then! It sounds like just what we are looking for!

How 'bout the timeshare people? Are they as obnoxious as I've heard in Cabo?

Janie

Archived