Pizza on the Triumph - Yuck

flem1064

We sailed on the 4/5 Triumph, and one of the worst food areas was the pizza. I never got a slice that was cooked enough. Very doughy, and not very tasty. I tried to get a calzone a couple of times, but didn't want to wait "10 minutes".

Now I know there will be people that swear the pizza is good, but that's because whatever they have at home must be even worse.

I know what good pizza tastes like, and this isn't it. We sailed twice on the Glory and actually thought the pizza was as good or better than home. So it was easy to see the difference on the Triumph. I had been dieting for about 8 weeks prior to the cruise (to make room for the copious amounts of food), and the 24-hour pizza was one of my top 3 cravings. Other 2 cravings: Warm Chocolate Meting Cake, and Prime Rib.

The cake and the rib were excellent, but the pizza really didn't make the grade.

If you've been on the Triumph lately, do you agree with me?

I tried to get a calzone a couple of times, but didn't want to wait "10 minutes".

I waited a few times for the calzone and it was worth the wait for this freshly baked treat. Besides, where did I have to go that I couldn't wait.

It's interesting that the pizza wasn't fully cooked... if I remember correctly, they use one of those converyor belt type ovens, to (supposedly) insure it's cooked perfect every time.

Hmmmm...

I waited a few times for the calzone and it was worth the wait for this freshly baked treat. Besides, where did I have to go that I couldn't wait.

It's interesting that the pizza wasn't fully cooked... if I remember correctly, they use one of those converyor belt type ovens, to (supposedly) insure it's cooked perfect every time.

Hmmmm...

My workplace cafeteria also uses a conveyor belt cooker...and there were a few times when my dough was damn near raw.. (is raw the right word for dough? lol). Maybe the heating element was nearing the end of its life?

While this has nothing to do with the Triumph, just thought Id share.

We sailed on the 4/5 Triumph, and one of the worst food areas was the pizza. I never got a slice that was cooked enough. Very doughy, and not very tasty. I tried to get a calzone a couple of times, but didn't want to wait "10 minutes".

Now I know there will be people that swear the pizza is good, but that's because whatever they have at home must be even worse.

I know what good pizza tastes like, and this isn't it. We sailed twice on the Glory and actually thought the pizza was as good or better than home. So it was easy to see the difference on the Triumph. I had been dieting for about 8 weeks prior to the cruise (to make room for the copious amounts of food), and the 24-hour pizza was one of my top 3 cravings. Other 2 cravings: Warm Chocolate Meting Cake, and Prime Rib.

The cake and the rib were excellent, but the pizza really didn't make the grade.

Im not a big cruise ship Pizza eater. I never thought it was all that great. Its OK in my book but its not something I miss when the cruise is over. Now Breakfast I miss a lot when the cruise is over.

I thought the glory had the best cruise ship pizza, but I can make one far better, and there are many local places that can as well, I thought it was a bit bland, I did like the crust though. Not bad pizza, much better than my last RCI cruise, I think frozen grocery store pizza is better than that was.

MAC

Hello Johhny. I see you are from FL. I don't know if you are FL native or not but I am guessing you know what good pizza tastes like because you were originally from up north somewhere. If you are using FL pizza as your guide than the pizza on your cruise must of been REAL bad. If you are comparing it to lets say NY/NJ pizza or Chicago pizza than I understand the comparison. What I am trying to get is that its free and I don't think they importing the ingredients and Italian Bakers for the cruise. But anyway the pizza should be cooked. I still can't find a pizzeria in FL that can compare to the northeast but found a couple close.

I have always liked the pizza on Carnival until my last cruise in February on the Glory. I'm planning my next cruise on the Valor. I was on it in 2006 and loved the pizza. I'm hoping they did not change the way they make it on all ships. The crust on the Glory was really bad. I'm from Jersey and love pizza. On all my cruises, I finish up the night with a couple of slices. This was the first cruise I skipped somes nights. Matt

I wasn't crazy about the pizza on Elation but it was worse on Miracle. With all the other food options, I'm not going to give it more than one chance. If I'm going to stand in line (again), I'll do so at the deli station.

I eat enough pizza the rest of the time that it's silly to do so on a cruise when I'm given so many other options that I don't get on a daily basis.

Carnival in general has the best pizza on the seas but it is not the best of the best. On the Eleation last year, the pizza was great at the beginning of the week but for some reason was not as good the last couple nights. Luckily we do not cruise for the pizza so it is fine with us.

Lived in NJ all my life, 6 years ago moved to Florida. It's taken me 6 years to get to the point where I can tolerate some of the pizza here. Let's say Florida pizza is a 5, and NJ/MY pizza is a 10, the Triumph pizza was a 1-2.

Even though we had some burps with our recent cruise on the Triumph, it sure beats working, and we had a good time anyway.

Next up is the Glory on 4/4/09 and I can't wait.

Cheers

You're right-I'm originally from Ohio, and I really miss the good pizza. Here in Atlanta, well, there's Pizza Hut and Dominos, but not many neighborhood pizza places like in NY, Chicago, NJ, etc. We think the pizza is great on the Carnival ships compared to what we can get in Atlanta.

Maybe next time ask for one of slices that has been sitting under the heat lamps for a while?

10 minutes to wait for a calzone is nothing. You'll have time to order, go wolf down a hamburger, and return for the calzone.

If you custom order a pie you'll have to take the whole thing (darn) and then there is that 10 minute wait, but you can get what you want, cooked the way you like - or as close as a cruise ship can get.

There are red pepper flakes and cheese for those who want to spice it up, or grab one of the Tabasco bottles.

Archived