sea sick patches?

ccrider43

How do you go about getting the sea sickness patches? I heard thru your doctor, but I don't have a regular physician. How about a walk in clinic? Do both my partner and I have to make appt's, or would they give a prescription for two people with only one person making the appt.? Do they work? Do you recommend them?

Make sure you wash your hands after applying one.

Do you get Motion sick at home? a little? a lot? You'd be surprised on how many people do the patches, bands, medicines to find they didnt really need them.

I have bands that I got at Rite aid. Theylook like scrunchies that you wear on both wrists. There is a little ball that goes on inside your wrist..pressure point to counteract motion sickness.

Hi,

I have used the patch in the past and I have seen many, many people on every cruise that have use them.

On the other hand: I and wife had some unpleasant side effects and I know of other people that had some serious side effects.

Yes, you can buy them directly from some places in Canada without prescription and even for less than it will cost you in the USA (unless you have some insurance for medicine - some cover the cost).

Be very careful to buy them without seeing the doctor, same applies to your friend -- there can be some very serious problems if you are one of the people that have some conditions that do not let you use the patch.

Please, spent the time and read what I have posted on one of the other posts - I will find the copy and post it in the next post.

Wes

There might be a lot of reading, but if it will save your vacation it is worth it.

The Transderm Scop patch is not for everybody....even that so many of us are using it and it seems to work.......please do read all the information listed by the manufacturer, you might save yourself a lot of problems. We are not all the same and some of us have problems that others do not and the drug will help or hurt depending on your condition.

Do not even think about cutting the patch, you will disturb the delivery system of the patch and you might get so much scopolamine in your system at once that will make you very sick. If you are a small person, your body will get proportionally a lot more 'drug' than someone who is twice your size and the reactions and symptons might be different from one person to another. The only way that I can think of reducing the amount of the "programmed to deliver 1.0 mg of scopolamine over 3 days" would be to put a piece of plastic film and under a portion of the patch, so not the whole patch is making direct contact with your skin and not as much of the drug will be absorbed..... but do not cut the patch.

I copied from the manufacturer's printed information about the 'patch', just a portion about not cutting it, the not recommended usage of the drug and some adverse reactions. I will paste that below, but I very strongely recommend spent the few minutes and read all what the manufacturer has printed.

" CONTRAINDICATIONS

Transderm Scop® is contraindicated in persons who are hypersensitive to the drug scopolamine or to other belladonna alkaloids, or to any ingredient or component in the formulation or delivery system, or in patients with angle-closure (narrow angle) glaucoma.

WARNINGS

Glaucoma therapy in patients with chronic open-angle (wide-angle) glaucoma should be monitored and may need to be adjusted during Transderm Scop® use, as the mydriatic effect of scopolamine may cause an increase in intraocular pressure. Transderm Scop® should not be used in children and should be used with caution in the elderly. See PRECAUTIONS. Since drowsiness, disorientation, and confusion may occur with the use of scopolamine, patients should be warned of the possibility and cautioned against engaging in activities that require mental alertness, such as driving a motor vehicle or operating dangerous machinery. Rarely, idiosyncratic reactions may occur with ordinary therapeutic doses of scopolamine. The most serious of these that have been reported are: acute toxic psychosis, including confusion, agitation, rambling speech, hallucinations, paranoid behaviors, and delusions.

PRECAUTIONS

General

Scopolamine should be used with caution in patients with pyloric obstruction or urinary bladder neck obstruction. Caution should be exercised when administering an antiemetic or antimuscarinic drug to patients suspected of having intestinal obstruction.

Transderm Scop® should be used with caution in the elderly or in individuals with impaired liver or kidney functions because of the increased likelihood of CNS effects.

Caution should be exercised in patients with a history of seizures or psychosis, since scopolamine can potentially aggravate both disorders.

Information for Patients

Since scopolamine can cause temporary dilation of the pupils and blurred vision if it comes in contact with the eyes, patients should be strongly advised to wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water immediately after handling the patch. In addition, it is important that used patches be disposed of properly to avoid contact with children or pets.

Patients should be advised to remove the patch immediately and promptly contact a physician in the unlikely event that they experience symptoms of acute narrow-angle glaucoma (pain and reddening of the eyes, accompanied by dilated pupils). Patients should also be instructed to remove the patch if they develop any difficulties in urinating.

Patients who expect to participate in underwater sports should be cautioned regarding the potentially disorienting effects of scopolamine. A patient brochure is available.

Drug Interactions

The absorption of oral medications may be decreased during the concurrent use of scopolamine because of decreased gastric motility and delayed gastric emptying.

Scopolamine should be used with care in patients taking other drugs that are capable of causing CNS effects such as sedatives, tranquilizers, or alcohol. Special attention should be paid to potential interactions with drugs having anticholinergic properties; e.g., other belladonna alkaloids, antihistamines (including meclizine), tricyclic antidepressants, and muscle relaxants.

ADVERSE DRUG EXPERIENCES

The adverse reactions for Transderm Scop® are provided separately for patients with motion sickness and with post-operative nausea and vomiting.

Motion Sickness: In motion sickness clinical studies of Transderm Scop, the most frequent adverse reaction was dryness of the mouth. This occurred in about two thirds of patients on drug. A less frequent adverse drug reaction was drowsiness, which occurred in less than one sixth of patients on drug. Transient impairment of eye accommodation, including blurred vision and dilation of the pupils, was also observed.

Postmarketing and Other Experience: In addition to the adverse experiences reported during clinical testing of Transderm Scop, the following are spontaneously reported adverse events from postmarketing experience. Because the reports cite events reported spontaneously from worldwide postmarketing experience, frequency of events and the role of Transderm Scop in their causation cannot be reliably determined: acute angle-closure (narrow-angle) glaucoma; confusion; difficulty urinating; dry, itchy, or conjunctival injection of eyes; restlessness; hallucinations; memory disturbances; rashes and erythema; and transient changes in heart rate.

The signs and symptoms of anticholinergic toxicity include: lethargy, somnolence, coma, confusion, agitation, hallucinations, convulsion, visual disturbance, dry flushed skin, dry mouth, decreased bowel sounds, urinary retention, tachycardia, hypertension, and supraventricular arrhythmias.

Most cases of toxicity involving the use of the product will resolve with simple removal of the patch. Serious symptomatic cases of overdosage involving multiple patch applications and/or ingestion may be managed by initially ensuring the patient has an adequate airway, and supporting respiration and circulation. This should be rapidly followed by removal of all patches from the skin and the mouth. If there is evidence of patch ingestion, gastric lavage, endoscopic removal of swallowed patches, or administration of activated charcoal should be considered, as indicated by the clinical situation. In any case where there is serious overdosage or signs of evolving acute toxicity, continuous monitoring of vital signs and ECG, establishment of intravenous access, and administration of oxygen are all recommended.

The symptoms of overdose/toxicity due to scopolamine should be carefully distinguished from the occasionally observed syndrome of withdrawal (see Drug Withdrawal/Post Removal Symptoms). Although mental confusion and dizziness may be observed with both acute toxicity and withdrawal, other characteristic findings differ: tachyarrhythmias, dry skin, and decreased bowel sounds suggest anticholinergic toxicity, while bradycardia, headache, nausea and abdominal cramps, and sweating suggest post-removal withdrawal. Obtaining a careful history is crucial to making the correct diagnosis.

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION

Initiation of Therapy: To prevent the nausea and vomiting associated with motion sickness, one Transderm Scop® patch (programmed to deliver approximately 1.0 mg of scopolamine over 3 days) should be applied to the hairless area behind one ear at least 4 hours before the antiemetic effect is required. To prevent post operative nausea and vomiting, the patch should be applied the evening before scheduled surgery. To minimize exposure of the newborn baby to the drug, apply the patch one hour prior to cesarean section. Only one patch should be worn at any time. Do not cut the patch.

Handling: After the patch is applied on dry skin behind the ear, the hands should be washed thoroughly with soap and water and dried. Upon removal, the patch should be discarded. To prevent any traces of scopolamine from coming into direct contact with the eyes, the hands and the application site should be washed thoroughly with soap and water and dried. (A patient brochure is available).

Continuation of Therapy: Should the patch become displaced, it should be discarded, and a fresh one placed on the hairless area behind the other ear. For motion sickness, if therapy is required for longer than 3 days, the first patch should be removed and a fresh one placed on the hairless area behind the other ear. For perioperative use, the patch should be kept in place for 24 hours following surgery at which time it should be removed and discarded.

Last Updated: Thursday, June 03, 2004 "

Wes

Over the counter Bonine chewables work great, are cheap, and don't make you drowsy. The ship infirmary and pursor usually give out free motion sickness tablets, too. I tried the scopalamine patches and had terrible side effects, nausea, bad vision, and dizziness. They were worse for me than the sea sickness but my husband does use them and they change his vision slightly but he uses them anyway.

You can also use 'Less Drowsy' Dramamine. It's about $4 for 8 tablets, you can usually take one a day and it will help.

I actually swear by the Scopalamine patch. It has been my best friend over the past few months because I've been suffering from random severe bouts of vertigo. I had an ear thing in June, and I think it has to do with that, plus dehydration and stress. The only thing that helps me to survive through these spells. As long as I catch the spell soon enough and get the patch on, it keeps me from getting sick.

The only adverse reaction that I have sometimes to Scop is localized itching where it was applied. Make sure that you wash and dry the area thoroughly before applying the patch, and apply it the night before your cruise.

In the US you have to have a perscription for it, and you both would have to see the doctor to get a script. With my insurance, for 4 patches, it costs me $28.

~C

That is the same as Bonine, perscription 'Antivert and many other 'brand' names.

"Description: DRAMAMINE Less Drowsy Formula contains meclizine hydrochloride.

Active Ingredient: Meclizine hydrochloride 25 mg per tablet "

RennFan, the patch works for many and my posting above is not to 'scare' anyone from using it but to make potential users aware that it can 'help' or 'hurt'.....depending on the individual users existing problems and the doctor and not this board is the best one to determine the proper medicine.

BTW, I have a very interesting link to an article about the "wrong usage of scopolamine" in South America......please clik on the link below:

http://www.rense.com/general38/frug.htm

Wes

It's not so easy to know if you are allergic to the patches. The active ingredient, scopalamine is a belladonna alkaloid - who has a presciption for belladonna?!? I developed hives when I used a friend's prescription. One clue re: my allergic reaction is that years ago, I had a reaction to RX Donatelle, an anti-spasmodic drug. Be sure that your physician knows all your drug allergies and don't bypass getting your own prescription.

BTW, I have a very interesting link to an article about the "wrong usage of scopolamine" in South America......please clik on the link below:

http://www.rense.com/general38/frug.htm

Wes

What is so "interesting" about that story? Knockout drugs have been used in bars and clubs right here in the USA.

ANY drug, or weapon for that matter, in the wrong hands, means trouble!

Criminal activity in South America has NO BEARING on a cruisers use of the patch.

I can see that you are "anti-patch" but get a grip on yourself man, that's a bit over the top. There is no corelation whatsoever.

Dolly

thanks everyone for the info,

Casperd - how does it affect the vision?

Does it last all day?

Since my vision is so bad anyway, I tend to want to get away from anything like that.

Maybe I will just do the over the counter stuff and get the free tabs from the ship purser, etc.

And then put up with sickness if needed.

Is it really that wavy out there??

I used the patch years ago..I know they have been reformulated but I had sevear withdrawl symptons...felt worse then being seasick..fyi..had same the reaction to Larium given for Malaira...something in the formulas of both I guess.

I now use Ginger, the bands and the OTC meds. You can use more then one if needed. ie ginger and bands.

I stayed away from the patch this year due to the side effects mentioned above. My vision got blurry, but not like take-off-your-glasses blurry. It was more like acid-trip blurry (um, yes, I've done it - hey I grew up in Berkeley and I was in college!). I could function fairly normally without bumping into walls and such, but reading a newspaper, the words would kind of blend into each other. My senses seemed really heightened because my body knew it was compensating for a problem. In addition, my mouth was really dry and cottony. The patch also itched and I had to wash around it.

This year I tried a Relief Band which worked fine.

My mom says the bonine or dramamine make her nutty.

She swears by the patches--no effects.

She and i have always reacted the same way to meds, so i am taking her patches w/ me just in case. The bands and ginger sound like a pretty sane alternative for most if they are enough.

First cruise...

we shall see!

Kristin

I had very good results with the Patch - at the time I was on a diabetic prescription that made me very queezy and I was afraid of adding to it with seasickness. I changed patches after the third day and was never sick at all - even with the prescription.

I ordered two on-line, got both for 34.00. They are suppsoed to work for 3 days. We had no side effects.

Be careful if you soak in the pools and hot tubs.

Also it took almost 2 weeks for them to come in.

Also THEY DO NOT have them in Cozumel in the pharamcys. I went to 5 stores, they said no.

I had to give my daughter my second one. We both wore them for 7 days.

I think they worked longer than 3 days, either that or we got used to the rough water.

• 2 months later...

I had a terrible time with the patch; dilated pupils, blurry vision, felt very disoriented and spacey, difficulty urinating, and very nauseated after removing the patch for 8 hrs afterwards.Not fun. bonine/dramamine make me feel drugged, but there are zero side effects from Marezine - over the counter anti motion sickness drug in the same family as bonine/dramamine. try it, you'll like it. I also see my dr before a cruise and get a prescription for some phenergan (anti-nausea) suppositories, pop them in the cabin fridge (don't eat them!!), and use in case of dire need. the phenergan will make you drowsy but hey - that's way better than being horribly seasick. if all else fails, call the ship doctor and get a shot. sure, try the ginger & wristbands, but have some heavy duty pharmeceutical backup available! :) :) btw, pvangordon, I also grew up in Berkeley and went to Berkeley Hiiiggghh.

I used to be a nurse on a cruise ship and many of my patients were those with the awful side effects from the scop patch! My advice is - do NOT use it, especially if you are over 50yrs!

The side effects are indeed many, as previously stated, and can worsen your condition to the point that your trip can be ruined because you feel so awful, to potentially dangerous, that you need urgent medical attention! especially if taking alcohol with it!

Believe me, I could tell you some horror stories regarding this patch!

To summarize..my advice.....take either meclizine, (bonine) 1/2 to 1 tab, lots of fresh air, stay up on deck instead of inside your cabin, ginger ale and apples always help too....If you are going on a caribbean cruise, you really should not have much motion....the sea-bands also can help...

Please keep away from the patch!

Hi Sheilb,

perhaps someone will read your post and take it seriously that you do know what you are talking or writing about.

A lot of us ignore what others might save us from....that is life. A ruined vacation can be saved if one wants to do some reading.

I did have some bad reaction to the scopolamine patch as well even that it was Rx by a doctor. It works for many but not for all.

Thank you for sharing your profesional experience.

Wes

2 Years ago we were on the Carnival Spirit and alot of people were having problems with the patches making them dizzy. We just took one dramine in the morning and i get alot of motion sickness and I was fine for the whole trip. Ask at your local pharmacy what is the less drowsy formula. That is my suggestion for you.

Krista

I haven't had dizziness from the patches but I had such a problem with dry mouth that it was absolutely miserable :mad: I've done 15+ cruises and I've gone to using bonine. You can use up to 2 per day. Generally I only use 1 in the morning with the exception of one cruise that we were sailing in a hurricane. Then, I took 2 as a precaution. Good Luck:)

Archived