Flight after cruise

dnj628

We are on SOS which gets back to port at 6:30am. (Port Canaveral to Orlando International) Our flight choices were 10:30 am or 5pm ... we chose the 10:30am ... any suggestions on getting off the ship and to the airport on time? Are there taxis in abundance available after the cruise waiting at the port? Are they easy to secure or do they get taken up right away? Also, does anyone know the charge approximately? Or did we make a huge mistake and book the wrong flight? EEEK!

There are lots of options for you.....Check out the East Coast departure cities......port canaveral.......and there will be a very long post of "I work in Port Canaveral". You can carry your own luggage off, and be waiting for a taxi service or have a shuttle reserved to take you to Orlando airport.(We took our own luggage off, and I think they started letting priority departure at 6:30, but the taxis came about 7:00.) We lined up at the door, and were the second couple off. It is about 45 miles to Orlando, and you probably need to check in by 9:00 AM.

I just realized you are on Carnival....we were on Royal Caribbean, but it probably will be about the same timing for priority departure.

Since you have such an early flight I would make arrangements ahead of time to have a car waiting for you. (That's what we did on RCCL for a similar situation and it worked out great.) Then you don't need to worry about taxi lines, etc. We were at the airport in plenty of time.

Listen to cruising grandma. You have to be at the AP by 9. Probably not happening.

If you really want to take that flight, book the other one & if you make it to the AP in time, ask if you can fly standby. If you miss it or it's full, rent a car & entertain yourself for the day.

We are on SOS which gets back to port at 6:30am. (Port Canaveral to Orlando International) Our flight choices were 10:30 am or 5pm ... we chose the 10:30am ... any suggestions on getting off the ship and to the airport on time? Are there taxis in abundance available after the cruise waiting at the port? Are they easy to secure or do they get taken up right away? Also, does anyone know the charge approximately? Or did we make a huge mistake and book the wrong flight? EEEK!

I never book a flight before 12 noon on any cruise. There are too many factors that could affect you.

However, if you have already booked, taking express departure (carrying off your bags), having a pre-reserved taxi-limo ride to the airport, having all bags be carry-on size for the flight, and having a pre-printed boarding pass are all things you can do to improve your chances. If you can change your flight without extra $, that is a better option. But have a backup plan no matter what.

Thank you very much your insight. How would one go about arranging for personal transportation following a cruise? With so many people exiting all at once I wasn't sure that could be done unless you plan to use a limo service.

Thank you very much your insight. How would one go about arranging for personal transportation following a cruise? With so many people exiting all at once I wasn't sure that could be done unless you plan to use a limo service.

Check out the East Coast depature city board on Cruise Critic, go to Port Canaveral, then look for "I work in Port Canaveral". There are people who post on it and answer any questions you have. They do list shuttle services, and contact info for them. One is Cocoa Beach Shuttle.......There are others, too. It is probably doable, IF you do priority departure from the ship, and carry your own luggage off. (RCI told us you were only allowed two carryons and no other luggage per stateroom, but as long as you are able to carry your own luggage off the ship, you can.) We have rolling luggage that we can strap carryons and took them down about 6 AM. I'm unsure about taxi fares to ORD, but it would probably be cheaper for several passengers to reserve a shuttle. We took a taxi back to a Cape Canaveral hotel to our car, and it was $25.

just because the ship gets in at 6:30 doesnt mean everyone will begin to get off at that point...if you are one of the first off the ship and have transportation arranged you can probably make it, but for me that would be too much rushing in the am

They should be ok if they get off the ship with their luggage by 7:30 or 8, and have prearranged transfers ready to take them to Orlando.

We always allow more time, if possible; before the cruise we stay overnight in a port city hotel, and after the cruise, never book a flight before 12 noon, usually after 3 or 4 PM. I prefer extending vacation time, but since they have already purchased the flights, I was offering insight of possible help. Hopefully this works out for them.

256 days at sea since 1995.......many more in the future!

I'm unsure about taxi fares to ORD, but it would probably be cheaper for several passengers to reserve a shuttle. We took a taxi back to a Cape Canaveral hotel to our car, and it was $25.

Just a small correction ... MCO is Orlando. ORD is Chicago O'Hare. ;)

The one thing about shuttles is that they may wait around a little for more passengers who have reservations. If there is a time crunch, a taxi will be the best way to go. I've waited around MCO all day, and it wasn't the most pleasant experience, but it was no where near as bad as having the ship come in late and BARELY making my 12:50 flight out.

After checking with the airline, we can fly standyby on the next available flight if we miss ours, at no additional charge, which is good. Hopefully that won't be the case! Re: arranged transportation ~ obviously do not rely on any taxi's that might be waiting for passengers? I did call Art's shuttle and he quoted me $100.00 for 2 passengers service one way from the ship to the airport. $70.00 for "standard" and an additional $25.00 for "personal" service.

After checking with the airline, we can fly standyby on the next available flight if we miss ours, at no additional charge, which is good.

Just one note, be aware that the next available flight might be the next day, especially with how full flights are these days.

when is your cruise? (if its soon then thats your options--if its still a few months away i would wait and see if there are other options.

Rushing off a ship to catch a 10:30 flight--- one that is a distance away no less--- you just had a relaxing vacation and the stress this will cause -- yuck.

you will need to be at the airport by 8:30- MCO on a weekend is a zoo with all the disney traffic. Getting through security....

SOS arrives at 6:30 but needs to be cleared by customs before anyone can leave-- one person not paying their account off can delay you getting off.

Archived