Is it bad luck to rename a ship???

I'm not a superstitious person, but I have heard someone say that it is bad luck to rename a ship. Anyway, I read on the Royal Caribbean web site that they are going to rename their ship Nordic Empress to Empress of the Seas.

Past Cruises:

Enchantment of the Seas - May 12, 2002

Sovereign of the Seas - Sept. 1997

I haven't heard that superstition. A lot of ships have been renamed. We sailed on NCL's Seaward. It's now just the Sea. I think it's more common when ships are sold to other companies.

We did two cruises on the Nordic Empress. I like that size ship, but lately we've sailed on much larger ones.

ships are renamed over and over when they are bought and sold.....so I guess it ok

I have sailed the NE twice and really like her...I guess they wanted her name to match the rest.

Bon Voyage

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;10;2;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

First ever European adventure on Splendour of Seas

Not at all.

Many ships have had their names changed, some several times.

The first ship I ever sailed on The Empress of Canada was built in 1961 then sold 10 years later to become Carnival cruise lines first ship Mardi Gras, which later became Star of Texas, then Lucky Star then Olympic and finally Apollon.

It is much more frequent than you may think.

I don't know about a ship......but I had a boat my ex-wife named "material girl" ....She took it when she left. icon_cool.gif It broke down on her first time out. She wanted to know if I could fix it?? icon_biggrin.gif I got it back and re-named it "SeaPotato" ....Runs like a champ! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by easternLIers on 04-02-04 at 05:23 PM.]

Legend has it that if you rename a vessel that you will have bad luck. We've had sailboats in the past and always got to name them what we wanted as they were either new or didn't have a name on them to begin with. I guess only Neptune knows for sure? LOL.

Bev

Sail On Forever!!!!!!!

Nordic Empress has already had one name change (I think). I believe she sailed for Home lines, but I don't remember which of the delightful ships she was.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

I don't think the Nordic Empress sailed for Home Lines. If I recall correctly the Home Lines had two ships when they ceased operations, the Homeric and the Atlantic. The Atlantic became the first Big Red Boat and the Homeric was sold to HAL who added another section to lengthen the ship and it was renamed the Westerdam.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=03>

<param name="day" value=19>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

Archived