Miami Transfer??

millerboy88

We have a transfer through Carnival once we arrive at the airport in Miami. For those of you who have done this, do the drivers take you straight to the port when you arrive, or is there usually a long wait before you are taken to the port. We are scheduled to arrive early in the morning (8:40).

thanks

We have a transfer through Carnival once we arrive at the airport in Miami. For those of you who have done this, do the drivers take you straight to the port when you arrive, or is there usually a long wait before you are taken to the port. We are scheduled to arrive early in the morning (8:40).

thanks

The first time we cruised, we booked tranfers through Carnival. We had an early flight into Miami as you do. We saw a Carnival rep near the baggage carousel who told us to take our bags to the white box-type truck in the parking lot and then we would have to wait until noon to get the shuttle to the port. We were told that the shuttle was going to wait for other passengers from other flights to come in. We had over three hours to waste at Miami airport.

Since then, we hire taxis to get us to where we need to be at our convenience.

When you say, they tell you to take your luggage to a box truck at the airport, it that the last time you have to deal with your luggage until it gets to your room, or do you have to get it off the truck and give to the porters???

We didn't see our luggage again until it was delivered to our cabin that evening. Since this was our first cruise, we were concerned that we might never see our luggage again. :eek: But we did and we had a wonderul vacation.

thanks

Just noticed you are sailing this week-end, so probably too late to cancel the carnival transfers. Next cruise out of Miami take the cab. It is cheaper and quicker, no waiting until enough passengers fill the bus.:cool:

Did anybody else experience the driver basically BEGGING for tip money? When we got on the bus he kept reiterating that it was hot outside and he had to load the bus and unload the bus and he was the only driver to take care of ALLLLLL our luggage. He kept saying over the speaker "it's only me...some people tip the porters but DON'T FORGET YOUR DRIVER!" After maybe 7 times of him saying this, some folks started chuckling thinking it was cute but I thought it was rather annoying. :confused:

We got the Carnival transfers, too, for our July cruise. There are 5 of us & I was concerned about having to compete with all the other cruise ship passengers to get a ride to the terminal. Our flight arrives at 11:10. I had checked with Miami Airport & was quoted $55 one way ($11 per person). They said I would have to order the van when we arrived at the airport. The Carnival transfer was quoted as a round trip, but comes to $14 per person per trip. I chose the Carnival transfer for security - I figure they will be sure I get to the ship on time. Am I just being too paranoid about the airport's transportation?

We got the Carnival transfers, too, for our July cruise. There are 5 of us & I was concerned about having to compete with all the other cruise ship passengers to get a ride to the terminal. Our flight arrives at 11:10. I had checked with Miami Airport & was quoted $55 one way ($11 per person). They said I would have to order the van when we arrived at the airport. The Carnival transfer was quoted as a round trip, but comes to $14 per person per trip. I chose the Carnival transfer for security - I figure they will be sure I get to the ship on time. Am I just being too paranoid about the airport's transportation?

You are being paranoid about the airport's transportation. There have always been many many taxis available when I've arrived at Miami. I'm surprised at the prices quoted for five unless you need an especially large van for extra luggage. We have a family of five and there were plenty of van taxis that could accomodate us. It's a flat fee to the Port for the taxi including all tolls. I can't remember the exact fare but I seem to recall $25.

Did anybody else experience the driver basically BEGGING for tip money? When we got on the bus he kept reiterating that it was hot outside and he had to load the bus and unload the bus and he was the only driver to take care of ALLLLLL our luggage. He kept saying over the speaker "it's only me...some people tip the porters but DON'T FORGET YOUR DRIVER!" After maybe 7 times of him saying this, some folks started chuckling thinking it was cute but I thought it was rather annoying. :confused:

The same happened with me. It's obnoxious. I'm sorry, but if I pay you $14 each way to transport me and my bags less than 10 miles, I shouldn't have to tip you. I assume that getting both my luggage and myself to the port is included in the $14. I tip the porters just b/c I don't want my luggage to somehow disappear...bus drivers shouldn't get tips though. I am already directly paying their wages. I don't know who pays the porters (though it inevitably probably comes out of my cruise fare, too).

I tell you after placing onboard the bus and then pulling all of that heavy luggage off the bus and I mean like 35 pieces of luggage, after a long day of doing that and having a bad back, I would expect some tips. I tip my bus driver $5.00 for all of that heavy lifting that I don't have to do.

Tipping everyone when youre on vacation is part of the cruising experience, get used to it.

Fred

I tell you after placing onboard the bus and then pulling all of that heavy luggage off the bus and I mean like 35 pieces of luggage, after a long day of doing that and having a bad back, I would expect some tips. I tip my bus driver $5.00 for all of that heavy lifting that I don't have to do.

Tipping everyone when youre on vacation is part of the cruising experience, get used to it.

Fred

I understand that it's a hard job, but they chose the job. No one made them do it. What exactly is my $14 fare going towards? I usually tip for service that goes above and beyond the minimum. So, if I have a nice bus driver who tells jokes on the bus, then sure, I'll tip. If I have a driver who complains about his job and how not everyone tips him but they should, I don't consider that to be a driver who deserves any extra money beyond his wages. I hate the increasingly pronounced American view that tips are a surcharge instead of a reward for good service. It's the reason the customer service continues to take a nosedive.

You are being paranoid about the airport's transportation. There have always been many many taxis available when I've arrived at Miami. I'm surprised at the prices quoted for five unless you need an especially large van for extra luggage. We have a family of five and there were plenty of van taxis that could accomodate us. It's a flat fee to the Port for the taxi including all tolls. I can't remember the exact fare but I seem to recall $25.

Hmmm, $5 per person? That's pretty reasonable. How long does it actually take to get to the port? When we cruised before, we drove to the port, so all this transfer stuff is new to me. Do you recall if the van taxis take credit cards or was it cash only?

I understand that it's a hard job, but they chose the job. No one made them do it. What exactly is my $14 fare going towards?

Thats a pretty bad excuse for not having to tip, tell that to the person that lives solely on tips.

Fred

Ok, so it goes on the bus with you, then you take it off the bus and give to the porter's, is this correct??? Just trying to get it all down pat so I will know what to do?

thanks

No, when you walk up to the bus, you leave your luggage on the curb and board the bus. They put it under the bus for you. You can keep an eye on your luggage from the bus to make sure it goes under.

We just did the transfer in Miami on April 12th. We did not get into Miami until 2:10 so I thought I better get a Carnival transfer. What a wrong choice. They put us on a bus and we had to wait 1 hour for other passengers to get there. I was very upset. We did not get to the ship until 3:45. They rushed us on and the embark photo people were already gone and that was one photo I wanted. I would take a taxi and get there with time. On the transfer you are at their mercy once they have you. I will never again take a Carnival transfer.:(

Thats a pretty bad excuse for not having to tip, tell that to the person that lives solely on tips.

Fred

I didn't choose their career path for them. If you live off of tips, then you should know that if you provide a good level of service, you will be tipped. I don't feel bad for anyone who does their job poorly. I consider someone who complains to guests about his/her job and lack of enough tips to be someone who is not doing his/her job well. I don't tip for bad service. There was a time when the American Dream entailed people being able to rise to the top for hard work. Nowadays, it's assumed that everyone can do fine, even if they do a crappy job and are lazy. I don't consider it my job to make sure every lazy employee has a good life. I pay money for a service and they render that service. If they render it well, they get extra money. Since I am most concerned with the needs of my own family, I will not reward every crappy employee who gives crappy service. Gas is far too expensive to do that and it would be like rewarding my cat for ripping up the trash.

I don't consider it my job to make sure every lazy employee has a good life. I pay money for a service and they render that service. If they render it well, they get extra money.

Well lets see, did you arrive at the Airport in one piece? :D Doesn't that alone deserves a tip LOL... If you see or have driven in Miami Traffic I say the poor guy deserves a tip.

Fred

The same happened with me. It's obnoxious. I'm sorry, but if I pay you $14 each way to transport me and my bags less than 10 miles, I shouldn't have to tip you. I assume that getting both my luggage and myself to the port is included in the $14. I tip the porters just b/c I don't want my luggage to somehow disappear...bus drivers shouldn't get tips though. I am already directly paying their wages. I don't know who pays the porters (though it inevitably probably comes out of my cruise fare, too).

I agree with you that it's obnoxious, but I do think they deserve a tip. But when service workers try to GUILT people into a tip, that's what bugs me. I think that good service will speak for itself and it just annoys me when folks do that! UGH

I agree with you that it's obnoxious, but I do think they deserve a tip. But when service workers try to GUILT people into a tip, that's what bugs me. I think that good service will speak for itself and it just annoys me when folks do that! UGH

Exactly! Good service warrants a tip. I consider the service to no longer be good if someone whines to me about his/her life. I am on vacation and am certainly not going to be stingy with tips...unless you annoy me. Usually, service at tourist destinations is excellent (as opposed to at home where restaurant service sucks 80% of the time and trying to call Sallie Mae for loan information is a nightmare and a half), and with so many people working and my limited amount of money, I would much rather OVERtip the good workers than take some of that tip money and give it to the crappy ones. If I only have $50 extra to tip, I'd much rather give all of it to my fantastic stateroom steward than to only give him $40 because I gave $10 to the crappy bus driver.

Archived