Above & Beyond Alaska - Kayak tour question

jhinjhin

Their hiking tour got excellent reviews last year from the few people who used them. I suggest you get your ice cave information directly from them. But I will speculate you will get nowhere near the actual glacier on any kayak trip.

Has anyone ever used this agency for kayaking in Mendenghall Lake? What was the tour like? Did anyone ever get to the ice caves?

Looking at their web site...which tour are you considering? The Mendenhall Lake Self-Guiding Kayaking will not give you access to ice caves. In fact, you'll be repeatedly warned against getting too close to the face of the glacier. This is for real--you could be killed. But you would be able to see ice bergs and the glacier much closer than from the lake shore.

Their glacier trek and climb seems to offer the opportunity for ice caves, but as BQ said, I'd call and ask what the exactly that means. And there's no kayaking involved.

Archived