Do You Really Want to Cruise With 5000 Others?

I have a lot of questions:

Where is the line begins for tender tickets?

Would they offer a free transportation from one end of the ship to the other?

How long is the wait for an elevator?

Would I get my breakfast by lunch when I call the room service?

If I get lost - would I find the way out by the end of the cruise?

If it's rains - would I need an umbrella in the park?

Can I get taxi back to my room?

Is there enough room in the pool for 5000 people?

Let me think, I will have more questions.

OMG - that made me laugh!! Taxi to my room :p

No - I would never go on a ship THAT big. No - never.

OMG - that made me laugh!! Taxi to my room :p

No - I would never go on a ship THAT big. No - never.

My number one rule is "NEVER SAY NEVER". I know too many people who said this about Sovereign, Vision, Radiance, Voyager and Freedom class ships who had to eat their words. My preference is for Radiance class ships but had you suggested to me that I would want to sail on a ship her size when I first sailed on Song of Norway, I would have thought you were crazy.:)

If they are building up the piers in Jamaica, Haiti and St.Marteen to accomidate this beast, then I know I will be in great shape-I can just work around going to any of those islands. I thought I was in heaven visiting St.Lucia , Antigua and Barbados this past February and being the only ship in port :)

Another cruiser who would not want to go on the larger ships. I mean look at the courtyard, I can stay home for that. I just want a quiet little spot where I can relax and enjoy the sun and fun. I don't want a ship will require me to get a map to get from one place to another.

For those who would like that large of a ship, I can see why you would. It is just not something I would like. I love the Radiance class.

Where is the line begins for tender tickets?

Would they offer a free transportation from one end of the ship to the other?

How long is the wait for an elevator?

Would I get my breakfast by lunch when I call the room service?

If I get lost - would I find the way out by the end of the cruise?

If it's rains - would I need an umbrella in the park?

Can I get taxi back to my room?

Is there enough room in the pool for 5000 people?

Well with a little baby oil and imagination this could be done. But for real, thier isn't enough room on any of the ships. When was the last time you saw 3000 people in the pool of the Mariner? Or any other ship for that matter?:D

You know, I always used to think I wanted to be on the LARGEST cruise ship. I couldn't WAIT to sail on one of the Voyager class ships and am SO happy they're bringing the Mariner out to the West. BUT, after reading about one woman's experience on the Freedom, I'm not so sure. Oh, I'll be sailing on the Mariner next year! I really want to give her a try. :D And, I realize Freedom is even larger than the Mariner...but it seems that some of the dining room requests she had were answered here with statements such as: "You can't expect a lot of personal service or to have special favors on such a large ship. Too many people to serve". Hmmmm....that's what kind of bothers me about these floating cities. Sure, it's fun to have all the amenities and activity on board. But at what expense? The largest ships I've ever sailed were 109,000, the Star and Golden Princess. They were considered mega ships...but I never felt service lacking. And, I got special requests taken care of. It seems like a good size. Lots to do, but not so much that you feel swallowed up. The Genesis doesn't appeal to me, not if they want to emulate Central Park! I still enjoy the nautical aspects of a cruise. And I prefer my cities and parks to be standing still---not floating out in the middle of the ocean. :rolleyes:

I don't know- I'm reading about this "Genesis Project" and just not excited about it. Am I the only one who does not want to be part of a floating city? Who needs Central Park on a cruise ship? Maybe I'll change my mind as the reviews come in next year. Maybe I'm a weirdo but I don't need shopping malls, ice skating, boxing, etc... These are all the things I try to escape from when I'm on a cruise!

Where is the line begins for tender tickets? There will be a lottery and only half the ship gets to go ashore.

Would they offer a free transportation from one end of the ship to the other? No, tram tickets are $1.00 each way or $.75 if you are Diamond or above.

How long is the wait for an elevator? Generally 6 days or less.

Would I get my breakfast by lunch when I call the room service? Yes but lunch the next day.

If I get lost - would I find the way out by the end of the cruise? Everyone is issued a GPS unit at embarkation.

If it's rains - would I need an umbrella in the park? Rain is not allowed nor will it be tollerated. Anyone caught trying to smuggle rain onboard will have it confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise.

Can I get taxi back to my room? No but you can use the tram (see above).

Is there enough room in the pool for 5000 people? Yes there is rooom for 5000 in the pool, but no room for water.

From what I saw the actual passenger count will be over 5,400.

The 24 hour buffett will be extended to 28 hours to accomodate everyone.

The first two days of a 7 day cruise are for embarkation and the last two are for disembarkation.

Fishing is not allowed in the pond in Central Park.

You know, I always used to think I wanted to be on the LARGEST cruise ship. I couldn't WAIT to sail on one of the Voyager class ships and am SO happy they're bringing the Mariner out to the West. BUT, after reading about one woman's experience on the Freedom, I'm not so sure. Oh, I'll be sailing on the Mariner next year! I really want to give her a try. :D And, I realize Freedom is even larger than the Mariner...but it seems that some of the dining room requests she had were answered here with statements such as: "You can't expect a lot of personal service or to have special favors on such a large ship. Too many people to serve".

You have to take a step back and consider the source though. That person is a pretty active member at the Carnival board (if my memory serves me). So I pretty much knew what that person would say if you know what I mean.

You can't read "one woman's experience on Freedom" and think that is everyone's experience. We certainly didn't have that experience on Freedom. Just the opposite.

[The first two days of a 7 day cruise are for embarkation and the last two are for disembarkation.

I was afraid of it. It will be 5 days cruise for the price of the 7 with On Board Hassle Credit . I wonder if they will allow to use OBC for the tram ride?

Can you picture the Captain's party in the park? Will that be " park casual" dress code? O' forgot - we will in line for tender tickets, so we might even not go. Can we fly back home before the midnight?

I just had a panic attack - try to find my black color luggage in the custom holding room within other 10,000-15,000 pieces of luggage! Maybe that experience will serve as a lesson - do not pack the whole house............

I can't wait to read first reveiw.

You have to take a step back and consider the source though. That person is a pretty active member at the Carnival board (if my memory serves me). So I pretty much knew what that person would say if you know what I mean.

You can't read "one woman's experience on Freedom" and think that is everyone's experience. We certainly didn't have that experience on Freedom. Just the opposite.

kinda like what you would say about Carnival...hee hee:)

It sounds like fun to me...the more the merrier!

I guess where you come from dictates your comfort level with other people, I see that many people in a day easily where I live. But then if I lived in the sticks it would be another matter.

But ironically when we were on the smallest ship, the Empress, was when I felt the MOST crowded. On the Freedom and Voyager class so much to do and so much space, never once felt crowded. And by the way if you feel awful about crowds, NEVER t to Disney or any other large amusement park.:eek: Talk about crowds!

I don't know- I'm reading about this "Genesis Project" and just not excited about it. Am I the only one who does not want to be part of a floating city? Who needs Central Park on a cruise ship? Maybe I'll change my mind as the reviews come in next year. Maybe I'm a weirdo but I don't need shopping malls, ice skating, boxing, etc... These are all the things I try to escape from when I'm on a cruise!

That's why they have smaller ships that cruise too. Everybody has their preference and RCCL tries to satisfy all tastes in cruising. :)

It sounds soooooo fun to me! The ship will be huge and I believe like on the Voyager class of ships you won’t even notice the other passengers!

At embarkation and disembarkation at the least not to mention when docked & tendered anywhere & going or returning to the ship..

Besides, with the demographics suggesting that cruisers are aging (those who can still & will be able to afford to cruise that is) & as they age prefer smaller & more intimate surroundings.

Don't believe a mega-ship provides that. Seems to me they are more for RCLs benefit than cruisers..

Just hope they haven't miscalculated the cruising publics tastes & budgets in the future..for their shareholders sakes anyway!

You know, I always used to think I wanted to be on the LARGEST cruise ship. I couldn't WAIT to sail on one of the Voyager class ships and am SO happy they're bringing the Mariner out to the West. BUT, after reading about one woman's experience on the Freedom, I'm not so sure. Oh, I'll be sailing on the Mariner next year! I really want to give her a try. :D And, I realize Freedom is even larger than the Mariner...but it seems that some of the dining room requests she had were answered here with statements such as: "You can't expect a lot of personal service or to have special favors on such a large ship. Too many people to serve". Hmmmm....that's what kind of bothers me about these floating cities. Sure, it's fun to have all the amenities and activity on board. But at what expense? The largest ships I've ever sailed were 109,000, the Star and Golden Princess. They were considered mega ships...but I never felt service lacking. And, I got special requests taken care of. It seems like a good size. Lots to do, but not so much that you feel swallowed up. The Genesis doesn't appeal to me, not if they want to emulate Central Park! I still enjoy the nautical aspects of a cruise. And I prefer my cities and parks to be standing still---not floating out in the middle of the ocean. :rolleyes:

I read that persons review and no one can expect to order items that are not on the menu and expect the cruise line to pull the food out of their butt. That is what this person expected. She expected them to make the same cake each night. Not going to happen on any cruise line unless it is on the menu OR she gets with the head waiter and asks about it ahead of time. The salad was a lettuce wedge. You find this same type of salad at some very expensive steak houses. She basically stated that Outback is eating out for them so that explains the salad. I take what I read on the boards with a grain of salt. It seems as though Carnival is a better fit for that person. If that's the case then she needs to move back.

You continue to question your choice of the Mariner. If you don't feel comfortable cruising on a large ship then by all means cancel and find a cruise line or ship that you feel will meet your needs. I personally have had much better service on RCI including their large ships that Carnival could ever produce.

I like that there is a variety of options when it comes to cruising. I will most likely try out the Genesis class, but sometimes prefer sailing on smaller, more intimate cruise ships.

This is me, too. I usually like the smaller, more intimate ships.

But when travelling with a group, it's nice to have a bigger ship with more to do. On Freedom I have a balcony cabin (a suite, even, I'm excited!), so if it gets to feel like too many people, I'll just hang out there. I'll be with a bunch of raving extroverts who will love it.

Count me and my wife as 2 that are not interested either. Personally I'd like to see more Radiance Class built - that's the perfect size for us. But as we know, there are no plans to build any more of that class. Darn shame.

Can not understand either (other than suggesting perhaps with cost to build, it isn't making them enough $) why they aren't building more Radiance class ships..

Ah well, it will play out in time ..!

In the meantime, Serenade - here I come soon...happy sailing to those who choose Genesis..

More room for us Radiance class ship lovers :)

as a shareholder and a pax ...

As fuel costs continue rising, causing price increases in everything and more folks get priced out of cruising, how will any cruiseline fill all those cabins on their smaller ships, never mind the mega ships? Besides the obvious price cutting 'causing cruiselines to then lose money or at the very least, reduce profits..

Interesting thought hmmm?

At one time I would of said the voyager class was to big, I really liked the size of the Radiance class in fact I still do but went on the NOS and had a blast and really liked the RP what a super place. I did miss the light that you get from the Radiance class but I think I would be hard pressed to go on anything smaller. I am really looking forward to see what Genesis has to offer now that we know about Central Park which is awesome I am wondering what other inovations they will come up with.

Archived