The Top 10 Things Travel Insurance Doesn't Cover

Kcarp

I was curious if anyone ever had a problem with their Insurance relating to this top 10 and tried to collect?

1. Your spouse files for divorce before the trip

2. Psychological illness or self-inflicted injuries

3. Pregnancy and childbirth

4. Sports injuries

5. Loss or damage to keys, money, documents, tickets, or credit cards

6. Death or illness of a pet

7. Baggage delayed for less than 24 hours (outbound flights only)

8. Pre-existing medical conditions

9. Acts of war/local protests

10. Your tour operator cancels on you

http://www.aviation.com/travel/top10-travel-insurance-1.html

A travel insurance policy will cover exactly what is written in the policy. A travel insurance policy does not cover what anyone assumes it will cover, or what someone's last policy covered, or what anyone thinks it logically should cover. Nor does it cover "what most policies cover." It covers what is written in the policy. Read it, understand it and then you know what your policy covers.

But people don't read, and then blame someone else.

Dan

I was curious if anyone ever had a problem with their Insurance relating to this top 10 and tried to collect?

8. Pre-existing medical conditions

our travel insurance does cover this.

I buy travel insurance for two reasons only: For emergency medical treatment outside the US borders, and for emergency medical evacuation back to the United States. All else is secondary to me. While lost luggage would be a major annoyance, and missing the boat would make me unhappy, overseas medical treatment would break me.

Agree that overseas medical treatment is always a concern. My SIL fell on a trip to Mexico and broke BOTH her arms on the first day there and of course my brother didn't get travel ins and they wouldn't let her leave the hospital without my brother's CC number.

I always get the insurance. But had my best friend have a heart attack 1 month before our last cruise and docs said 'No way you can go' and he fought to get his money back for about 4 months until attorney got involved. They said it was the 'pre existing condition' thing!!? he said he never had heart problems and didn't plan on a heart attack....finally got his money back and he's ok.

Frank

I always buy travel insurance but really wonder about what qualifies as an illness and wonder what they will really cover as far as a cancelling or postponing a trip.

For our last cruise, my father was diagnosed with cancer. His doctor wanted to do surgery asap and the travel insurance covered it with no problem. However, I have always wondered about if you had a more minor illness (like the flu) if that would be covered with a doctors note or not.

I buy travel insurance for two reasons only: For emergency medical treatment outside the US borders' date=' and for emergency medical evacuation back to the United States. All else is secondary to me. [/quote']

I agree with you, some of the reasons in the Top10 they will not cover are comical!

I buy travel insurance for two reasons only: For emergency medical treatment outside the US borders' date=' and for emergency medical evacuation back to the United States. All else is secondary to me. While lost luggage would be a major annoyance, and missing the boat would make me unhappy, overseas medical treatment would break me.[/quote']

I have an annual medical policy that covers me anytime I am more than 150 miles from home. Costs under $120/year and includes up to 100K medivac.

Actually, my regular medical policy also covers most things, so I am doubly covered.

I don't need trip cancellation unless I have a flight on Alitalia.

People don't read the cruise contracts. Why should they read the insurance ones?

not only do they don't read their cruise contracts, sometimes they don't read any "confirmation" of the cruise they just booked:eek:

We always purchase insurance when we cruise---about 25 cruises. We had never had to use ours, although friends with us had had to use theirs for minor medical expenses/emergencies aboard. In Sept, however, I began to have some heart problems, and we ended up having to cancel a Jan. cruise because I had to have 2 different heart procedures done. We always use Travel Guard, but one must purchase the insurance 15 days after initial trip deposit in order for pre-existing conditions to be covered. We always purchase within 15 days; therefore the company can't claim they won't pay because of pre-existing conditions.

We, too, purchase mainly for the medical protection which would as someone else said "break us;" never did we think we would ever have to actually use the cancellation part of the policy. It broke my heart to have to call our travel agent to cancel; I'm sure all dyed in the wool cruisers can identify with that! Anyway, within 2 weeks from the time I sent the paperwork to Travel Guard, I received a check for the entire amount we would have lost without insurance!! :D Also, in Sept, I fell on a cruise, and Travel Guard promptly paid expenses both on the ship and after I returned home to see my own dr---even paid the anti-inflammatory RX the doctor gave me!

Again, I agree with all of you have said: READ THE "FINE PRINT," SO YOU KNOW WHAT IS AND ISN'T COVERED.

I just wanted to add to the other info about the importance of insurance; one thinks it will never happen to him/her, but, believe me; it does.

Cruzin Lady

I have an annual medical policy that covers me anytime I am more than 150 miles from home. Costs under $120/year and includes up to 100K medivac.

Actually, my regular medical policy also covers most things, so I am doubly covered.

I don't need trip cancellation unless I have a flight on Alitalia.

nolaAlive-- Can you tell me where you get annual travel medical coverage? Thanks, Cruzin Lady

nolaAlive-- Can you tell me where you get annual travel medical coverage? Thanks, Cruzin Lady

Through American Express. They automatically bill my card $9.50/month. This looks similar, but I don't think I am on a business plan:

http://www133.americanexpress.com/osbn/landing/insurance/Tr_MedicationProtection.asp

Here is something similar and looks a few pesos cheaper since you make one payment:

https://www.globaltravelshield.com/gts/GTS3004.jsp

This is secondary insurance.

As with all, read what is and is not covered.

Mind didnt cover me when my fiancee's father died and I had to go to the funeral because he wasnt related to me. Next time Ill read the small print.

Im also worried about a friend going with us who got insurance thru a TA and I dont know the terms. If something happens to my father, I wouldnt be able to go and drive her, hope her insurance is cancel for any reason and not just medical which I think it is.

Totally agree with dan40. I work in the insurance industry, so it's kind of comical to me how people get all huffy on these boards about what their travel insurance didn't cover. Your insurance policy is a contract which very specifically identifies what will be covered and what won't be. Please read the policy before you buy it! There really aren't any gray areas. It's all spelled out in black and white for you.

Archived