Best deal on alcohol?

mandiecandie5

Here are some prices from a store on St. Thomas, you can judge what is a savings based on what you pay at home.

J&B Rare $8.99/liter

E&J Brandy $4.49/750 ml

Dewar's White Label Scotch $9.69/liter

Baileys Irish Cream $14.89/liter

Ponche Kuba $6.99/700 ml.

Grand Mariner $21.19/liter

Malibu $7.99/liter

Cruzan Dark $5.99/1.75 liter

Tanqueray $8.99/liter

Skyy Vodka $6.99/liter

Finlandia $5.69/liter

Absolut $8.49/liter

Kendal Jackson Carbernet Sav. $19.49/750 ml

Veuve Clicquot $34.99/750 ml

Hope that helps.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Here are some prices from a store on St. Thomas, you can judge what is a savings based on what you pay at home.

J&B Rare $8.99/liter

E&J Brandy $4.49/750 ml

Dewar's White Label Scotch $9.69/liter

Baileys Irish Cream $14.89/liter

Ponche Kuba $6.99/700 ml.

Grand Mariner $21.19/liter

Malibu $7.99/liter

Cruzan Dark $5.99/1.75 liter

Tanqueray $8.99/liter

Skyy Vodka $6.99/liter

Finlandia $5.69/liter

Absolut $8.49/liter

Kendal Jackson Carbernet Sav. $19.49/750 ml

Veuve Clicquot $34.99/750 ml

Hope that helps.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Any quotes on good single malt scotch? :)

Thanks, Hilander

Seems like we pay about $17 for a liter of glenfiddich. That compares to approx $36 for a fifth here in Michigan. I'm a bourbon drinker myself but wife likes scotch *yuck* Would assume comparable discounts on other single malts but have never checked as she prefers the glenfiddich.

Wow that's a deal on JW Blue! Guess we'll split our shopping between the two islands. We are planning to go to KMart to buy booze in St Thomas. I understand that's where the locals go for the best prices. Can anyone confirm that for me. Where in St Martin would be the best JW Blue price. I hear a lot about Caribbean Paradise.

• 3 weeks later...

Please let me confirm that we did the Southern Caribean last week and Johnny Walker blue is 85$ in Martin....115 on St Thomas and 110 at the Duty Free in the Airport. It's defenitely St Martins for better prices.

Lou

• 2 weeks later...

We are currently vacationing in St Thomas for 10 days. Based on advice from these boards we checked out the alcohol prices at Kmart and they have been the best prices I've seen on the island so far. They are within walking distance from the cruise ship and they will even put it in the cardboard carrying case for you if you like.

Kmart is easy to find, but you won't see them from the mall. You may have to ask. I don't know the street names, but look for Wendy's restaurant near the Havensight mall. There is kind of a T intersection at this mall. Go up the street that runs perpendicular to Wendy's. You'll see a Pueblo grocery store on your right and Kmart is a few blocks past this on your left in a small strip mall.

Kmart is easy to find, but you won't see them from the mall. You may have to ask. I don't know the street names, but look for Wendy's restaurant near the Havensight mall. There is kind of a T intersection at this mall. Go up the street that runs perpendicular to Wendy's. You'll see a Pueblo grocery store on your right and Kmart is a few blocks past this on your left in a small strip mall.

The 'street' is labeled 313 on this map, and the Pueblo is just about where the 313 label is located.

• 1 month later...

I'll keep my eye out for the Single Barrel Cruzan.

I'm not positive on the rules, but you can bring back 5 litres total if the ship stops in St. Thomas (at least 1 liter needs to be a St Thomas product I think) and only 1 litre can be purchased outside of USVI.

I would go for the Finlandia over the Absolut. Cheaper and better IMO. Absolut is a hangover in a bottle for me

I'll keep my eye out for the Single Barrel Cruzan.

I'm not positive on the rules, but you can bring back 5 litres total if the ship stops in St. Thomas (at least 1 liter needs to be a St Thomas product I think) and only 1 litre can be purchased outside of USVI.

I would go for the Finlandia over the Absolut. Cheaper and better IMO. Absolut is a hangover in a bottle for me

My vote goes to Grey Goose--much better than Absolut & no hangover!

This was my understanding as well- 5 liters from USVI (with 1 being a USVI product) and 1 liter from elsewhere OR purchased on the ship.

Being that they like to sell a lot of liquor on the ship, I'm sure they won't point out the different allowances!

Forgot to add that we spent a week in St. Thomas last summer and also found that K-mart to have the best prices. It isn't all that far up the road from the Wendy's.

I'll probably have my taxi stop there on the way back from the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Trudy,

Would you say the walk to Kmart is 5 to 10 minutes at a medium pace?

Also I have a question for all you locals. What time does it get dark in early Feb.? Or maybe I should ask what time does the sunset today. I could probably figure it out myself from that.

Thanks

CaribbeanCrazy

Archived