Fuel Surcharge

LizzieB616

I have read on some of the other boards/treads that some cruise lines are refunding fuel surcharges. My family will be on Star Princess sailing from Seattle June 8 and I haven't seen anything on my reservation (like a credit). Should I contact my TA to check it out? Or has anyone else seen this happen? Maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up;)

If you booked the cruise before the fuel surcharge was announced on November 7th you will see the refund as an onboard credit. It will not show up in the Cruise Personalizer or My Princess section unless you booked directly with the cruise line. Several people who have sailed since they announced the refund have posted on the Princess board that they got their refunds (OBC) with no problems. If you booked the cruise after the announcement of the fuel surcharge you will have to pay it. You would be paying $5pp/day supplement unless you have booked it since Monday, at which time the surcharge went up to $7pp/day.

I saw the same, and questioned my TA. She told me if I had booked just 5 days earlier in November I would not have to pay. So I just missed the cut off. I'm paying!

For once I lucked out. I booked the day BEFORE the fuel surcharge kicked in last Dec so my invoice is being adjusted to remove it from Princess. I believe there is a date in June that if your cruise is after that, your invoice is adjusted rather than having an onboard credit added.

I am calling my TA now and hopefully will be able to report something. I will be thrilled with an OBC - I have already racked up quite a bill for shore excursions. Is anyone going prior to June 8? I would love to hear about anything great that shouldn't be missed. I am on the Star Princess.

Thanks!

Elizabeth:)

I got an onboard credit on my RCI cruise in March, and the fuel surcharge was removed from the final bill on my HAL Alaska cruise in July. As long as your cruise was booked before the fuel surcharge was announced last November, you will somehow get it back, if you've already paid it.

Just finished speaking with my TA and we will be receiving an OBC for the fuel surcharge - not big bucks, but every little bit helps!;) I think that the magic month was November, as long as you were booked prior to that time, then it should get back to you some how.

Thanks for all of your help and info! If anyone is headed to Alaska prior to the first week in June, please drop me a line and let me know how it is.

Elizabeth

Archived