Aft Cabin?

easygoesit

Can anyone tell me if the "aft" cabins particularily the Star and Pearl have more motion sickness feeling verses "mid" cabins?

We are booked on decks 9 and 10.

Thanks !

Many will say they do and many will say they don't feel it! It really is a personal thing. Also really depends on the seas and so many other variables. We leave in in 2 days on the Star in a BA Aft on deck 10 for the Pacific repo cruise from LA to Vancouver. My mom & I have been on other cruises and never have had motion sickness. Currently the wave look to be 5-10 ft but we aren't worried. We have ginger, sea-bands and know to look at the horizon. We have always taken these with us but never needed them. The aft cabins can be GREAT for views and watching the wake disappear over the horizon as well as listening to the ocean sounds when you sleep with the door open. Book it, enjoy it and report back!

I'll have lots of pics and review when I get back next week!:D

Sakedad, your count down clock is now at 0 days! You must be so excited. I hope you have a wonderful time! With your list of what to do to make the most of 3 days I'm sure it will be great. Don't forget to get a good nights sleep. Please report when you get back. HAVE FUN!!:D

Many will say they do and many will say they don't feel it! It really is a personal thing. Also really depends on the seas and so many other variables. We leave in in 2 days on the Star in a BA Aft on deck 10 for the Pacific repo cruise from LA to Vancouver. My mom & I have been on other cruises and never have had motion sickness. Currently the wave look to be 5-10 ft but we aren't worried. We have ginger, sea-bands and know to look at the horizon. We have always taken these with us but never needed them. The aft cabins can be GREAT for views and watching the wake disappear over the horizon as well as listening to the ocean sounds when you sleep with the door open. Book it, enjoy it and report back!

Thanks 4 yr input! The reason i asked is I had booked an aft cabin for Panama repo 1/2010 last week. I had always thought the aft cabins were more money because they were suites. But the 2 in the middle are just cabins.And now tonight i was surfing around and saw that there was an aft still available for my feb 2009 cruise so i switched. but my partner gets a little nausea on the ship and take's ginger caps.

Plus the the repo cruise will be 21 days because we are doing b2b Mexico 7 days

I personally can't wait as I'm messmerized by the wake and I'm always hanging over the the aft decks.

Sakedad, your count down clock is now at 0 days! You must be so excited. I hope you have a wonderful time! With your list of what to do to make the most of 3 days I'm sure it will be great. Don't forget to get a good nights sleep. Please report when you get back. HAVE FUN!!:D

I c your only a day away. ENJOY!

Wishing you a WONDERFUL cruise.

Save the receipts for your ginger and sea-bands...you will, most likely, ;) return them when you arrive home.

Anxiously awaiting your review:)

Thanks 4 yr input! The reason i asked is I had booked an aft cabin for Panama repo 1/2010 last week. I had always thought the aft cabins were more money because they were suites. But the 2 in the middle are just cabins.And now tonight i was surfing around and saw that there was an aft still available for my feb 2009 cruise so i switched. but my partner gets a little nausea on the ship and take's ginger caps.

Plus the the repo cruise will be 21 days because we are doing b2b Mexico 7 days

I personally can't wait as I'm messmerized by the wake and I'm always hanging over the the aft decks.

Thanks all for your fabulous wishes!:D I think an aft in the canal would be AMAZING as you could sit there during the transition and be able to see all sides as you go through! As for sea-sick I think if you're going to be affected it doesn't matter what cabin you're in...you may not even be in it when you get sick!!! Hmmm....I see a new topic:eek:

Have a wonderful trip ~ can't wait to read the report.

Just off to read the Alaska one!!

Can anyone help me? How does one check if there is an Aft cabin available? I have been trying to find one on the Star for 8 July next year but can't seem to work out how... :rolleyes:

Can anyone help me? How does one check if there is an Aft cabin available? I have been trying to find one on the Star for 8 July next year but can't seem to work out how... :rolleyes:

When we were looking for an aft cabin we went to the NCL site and went through the search process for the cruise we were looking for. Then go to the category of cabin you want (for us it was a balcony BA) and you will get a list of possible rooms. In addition, there is a spot where you can put in a cabin number you are interested in, if it's available it will let you continue with the booking. How you go from there is up to you, if you are booking through a TA you can let them know it seems to be available. Of course, the easier method if you are booking through a TA is to let them know you want an aft and ask them to check to see what is available! LOL

First off i think you may have the wrong date. However go into ncl click on destination alaska, then the month, then click on view results.

Then click on the date you want then click on balcony. Put in the ages and then click on "continue". You will then see all the categores, then click on "BA"

You will now see cabin numbers that are available, below that you will see "search for a stateroom". In this are y'll need to know the 'aft cabin numbers on all decks and y'll have to do it one by one. The answer will come back "available or not"

I did this earlier and got my cabin changed for caribbean cruise in Feb.

If u don't know what the cabin numbers are that yr looking for u'll need to pull up the deck plans for the ship on NCL site and write the numbers down before you start.

Or u could just NCL.

Hope this helps.

First off i think you may have the wrong date. However go into ncl click on destination alaska, then the month, then click on view results.

Then click on the date you want then click on balcony. Put in the ages and then click on "continue". You will then see all the categores, then click on "BA"

You will now see cabin numbers that are available, below that you will see "search for a stateroom". In this are y'll need to know the 'aft cabin numbers on all decks and y'll have to do it one by one. The answer will come back "available or not"

I did this earlier and got my cabin changed for caribbean cruise in Feb.

If u don't know what the cabin numbers are that yr looking for u'll need to pull up the deck plans for the ship on NCL site and write the numbers down before you start.

Or u could just NCL.

Hope this helps.

Darn! all that typing and someone posts the same info 15 mins before me. Thats how long it took me to type it.lol

Can anyone tell me if the "aft" cabins particularily the Star and Pearl have more motion sickness feeling verses "mid" cabins?

Thanks !

It is vey much a personal option. We usually sail to the Caribbean (I do not know where you are sailing to) and have not felt motion sickness anywhere on the ships (Carnival, NCL or RCCL).

Have a great cruise!!!:)

We just got off the Gem. Had an aft balcony. The best part about that balcony was that it was sheltered from the winds - there were high winds during much of the cruise. It also was twice the depth of balconies on the sides of the ship. However, we had one evening of rough seas. I don't get seasick, but the motion was much more pronounced aft and forward than midships. My husband, who doesn't usually get seasick, had a little trouble.

We just recently returned from a 14 day back to back western and southern caribbean cruise on the Pearl. Our room was a romance suite located on the aft of the ship. Let me just say it was wonderful in all aspects and I don't think I would want to be located elsewhere on the ship for future cruises. Neither my husband nor myself had any problem with motion sickness and I really don't think it was much different in our room than when we were elsewhere on the ship. I cannot recommend this suite and it's location enough. From our wonderful butler Orlando, housekeeping supervisor Rose and Concierge Carlos whom all gave us just the best service, to the inroom coffee-cappachino machine, comfortable queen size bed, spacious bathroom, makeup vanity, walk through closet and balcany lounge chairs. We had the best vacation we could have dreamed of, and if we can afford it, will cruise in an aft suite very soon.

We just recently returned from a 14 day back to back western and southern caribbean cruise on the Pearl. Our room was a romance suite located on the aft of the ship. Let me just say it was wonderful in all aspects and I don't think I would want to be located elsewhere on the ship for future cruises. Neither my husband nor myself had any problem with motion sickness and I really don't think it was much different in our room than when we were elsewhere on the ship. I cannot recommend this suite and it's location enough. From our wonderful butler Orlando' date=' housekeeping supervisor Rose and Concierge Carlos whom all gave us just the best service, to the inroom coffee-cappachino machine, comfortable queen size bed, spacious bathroom, makeup vanity, walk through closet and balcany lounge chairs. We had the best vacation we could have dreamed of, and if we can afford it, will cruise in an aft suite very soon.[/quote']

Hi, deal'ntrees! Which AD were you in on the Pearl. We're booked in 10166 for our cruise to Alaska in 31 days. Do you have any pictures you could share of the cabin you were in? Thanks!

We also had an Aft balcony on the Gem last week, and as someone just said, it was sheltered nicely from the high winds we had, BUT on the one day with VERY rough seas (worse I've had in 4 cruises so far), it was noticibly worse in the front and aft. Even though I did get very naseaus (even on dramamine), I would still book another Aft, especially if you love staring at the wake already. It's very mesmerizing!

Plus, during the rough patch (started early evening and went until next morning), we tried to get out of the room and to the more mid-ship common areas as soon as we could (showering was very odd!), and if you're in the room sleeping, it just feels like the bed is a giant rocking chair. :)

We were in 10164. I haven't developed my disposable camera yet, but I am going to have it put on a CD so if I have any pictures I will post them. I wish I would have taken more. Have a wonderful cruise, we want to go to Alaska on our next cruise.

I did maiden Honolulu voyage on the Star in an AFT (stern) cabin, somewhere around 2002?

Very high seas, with the ship moving very fast from honolulu to Kiribati (fanning island). The pride of aloha did the same distance with 2 sea days that this ship did in 1!

Walking down the hallway, swaying side to side with the seas, our family was happy and enjoying the cruise. We're all pretty immune to seasickness it seems. But all the other people we came across looked seriously green. I think there was a very large number of travel agents aboard to promote the new route.

At night, the stern cabin felt like an amusement park ride. It felt like you were on an airplane alternately cilmbing very fast and then falling fast. I thought it was really enjoyable actually, but you might not.

Really stern cabins are so great that there would have be some incredible reason to take another given the chance

Lesson: Stabilizers only help with side to side motion, not front to back, and can only help so much in really high seas. The chances of high seas on your itinerary are probably far lower than the one we did.

Thanks !

Hello easydoesit, We'll be sailing on the same Panama Canal cruise in suite 9232. We have sailed the Mexican Riviera on the Star in a aft and thought the ride was smooth. We think that the aft cabins are the best on the ships and try to book them whenever possible.

Enjoy

d man

Of the cruises we have been on, I have only felt sea sickness one time. That was in a Penthouse Suite Aft on the Star. AND... that was only as we layed down to go to sleep the first night. My DP had read that leaving a light on will help. So we turned the light on in the "livingroom" area of suite and left the french doors seperating the two rooms open just a tiny bit. It worked. We have only been in Aft cabins on two of the cruises we have been on, but loved them so much we are booked in Aft cabins on the next two cruises.

If anyone is looking, I noticed there is an aft available for alaska cruise on May 25th.

Yes, and it's a good one too!:) We booked it (AE 9670) last July for our cruise to Alaska on May 25th but gave it up as our PCC just called and offered us an AD at the same price.:D So, we decided to go for the bigger balcony in the AD.

If anyone is looking, I noticed there is an aft available for alaska cruise on May 25th.

Hey, weechloe, why don't you grab it and join us? We've got a great roll call going for this cruise and we're going to have a fabulous cruise:) !

Archived