No premium cruise lines

AFuncruiser

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=magenta]Oh, "premium", shmemium.:rolleyes: I'm with Coco Creek on this one. I know what I like. [/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff00ff]What do I care if not everybody feels the same way?[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='usha'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=magenta]Oh, "premium", shmemium.:rolleyes: I'm with Coco Creek on this one. I know what I like. [/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff00ff]What do I care if not everybody feels the same way?[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

You are not going to believe this. I was scrolling and saw this thread AGAIN! I said to myself, premium, shmemium. Then I opened your posting, and Voila! Great minds think alike!

[quote name='Sky Sweet']
It was the first time in a number of years that we sailed on a different cruise line than Celebrity, and one factor in that decision was all the posts on this board from people who feel that children don't belong on a Celebrity Ship.

That experience was so wonderful that we plan to take another three generation cruise in August on a different cruise line.
[/quote]

Sky Sweet, if there is an X cruise that meets your needs otherwise, please don't let the bad attitudes of a few people on a message board dictate your choice. This is not like a dress-code argument wherein if you don't go along with what others "expect", you are breaking the rules. Your grandchildren are welcome aboard X by the cruise line, the crew, and the vast majority of the fellow guests. I'm sure that the kids (and you) would have a great time on X...

Of course, if you enjoy the other lines, too, there is nothing wrong with that. Let the truly important criteria (price, dates, itinerary, amenities, food, service, etc.) be the ones you allow to guide your choice.

[quote name='Ma Bell'][B][COLOR=teal]Well said. I never quite understand why the defensive attitudes about cruiselines. It's simple to check out which cruiselines have the kind of ammenities one likes and to choose which will suit your preferences. It's great that we have choices and I would hate to see all of them the same.[/COLOR][/B][/quote]

All cruise lines are pretty much the same now days as cruising becomes more Carnival-ized. It boils down to price & value.

Dennis

Such a subtle provocation! It is what it is...

Since I generally beleive in the law of supply and demand, particularly in the leisure industry... If there are 'No Premium Cruiselines' then it must be that there are no 'No Premium Cruise Passengers'! :eek: :D :eek:

But our OP is a restless travelor, note that he has 21 cruises on 11 cruiselines(!) meaning he rarely cruises any line more than twice! So his comment needs to be viewed accordingly. But I understand him a bit - since I'm tracking him with 10 or 11 cruises on 5 or 6 lines (depending on when you start counting! 1968 or 2001!)

[quote name='meow!']From a TA website which cannot be named on this board (and I shouldn't quote it in detail not to infringe on other's copyright without acknowledgement), I found there is a "cluster" of cruise lines (Carnival, Norwegian etc.) at about $95 per diem on average (actual booking price of all cabins), another "cluster" (including Celebrity and HAL) at around $120 per diem. Then there is Oceania at $200+ per diem, and the Seabourn/Silversea/RSSC trio at a shade over $400 per diem. So perhaps these numbers may help those who want to look at it from the price point of view![/quote]

This is probably a better way to classify the lines, if one feels the need.

The mainstream/mass market lines of Carnival, NCL, RCL, Princess, HAL, and X all seem to be fairly equivalent, all with similar prices as well. Each have their pros and cons, but can one really state that one is "better" than another? Many people on this board keep bemoaning the fact that X and HAL are slipping, and at the same time I've heard that Carnival is really getting better.

I don't really see anyone here debating whether the true luxury lines of Crystal, Regent, Seabourne, or Silversea are better than the mainstream lines, nor does anyone try to decide which of these are better than the others. They really seem to be offering an upscale experience (with much better food as well) - but their hefty price tags reflect this.

Then you've got Oceania and Azamara somewhere in between.

I agree with one thing the OP says: it does come down to price and value. Personal preference will always allow each line to have their own cheerleaders.

Cruises are fun! I've enjoyed Carnival and Celebrity. The thing that made our last two cruises most enjoyable were the people (specifically the Cruise Critic people) we met before the cruise and then getting to spend time with them aboard ship. We met people from around the world on our Roll Calls, and then joined them aboard ship. Nothing better! If I had the chance I'd sail with these people anytime and aboard any ship.

I can't say it enough. The people you meet aboard ship are what make cruises fun for me. Many of us continue to try to find cruises that we can all join, just so we can see each other more frequently. When you've met people from all over the United States, not to mention the world, a cruise is a great way to get together again and again.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

[quote name='ablumenfeld']This is probably a better way to classify the lines, if one feels the need.

The mainstream/mass market lines of Carnival, NCL, RCL, Princess, HAL, and X all seem to be fairly equivalent, all with similar prices as well. Each have their pros and cons, but can one really state that one is "better" than another? Many people on this board keep bemoaning the fact that X and HAL are slipping, and at the same time I've heard that Carnival is really getting better.

I don't really see anyone here debating whether the true luxury lines of Crystal, Regent, Seabourne, or Silversea are better than the mainstream lines, nor does anyone try to decide which of these are better than the others. They really seem to be offering an upscale experience (with much better food as well) - but their hefty price tags reflect this.

Then you've got Oceania and Azamara somewhere in between.

I agree with one thing the OP says: it does come down to price and value. Personal preference will always allow each line to have their own cheerleaders.[/quote]

Hi Ablumenfeld :)

I agree with everything in your post and would like to add a few more comments.

In my opinion, the ship itself is more important than the cruise line. We are taking a Mediterranean Cruise on Brilliance of the Sea in June, but would not take a cruise on one of Royal Caribbean's older ships that have tiny cabins. I am looking forward to trying Celebrity's new ships when they enter service but will not sail on their oldest ones that have extensive deferred maintenace.

Since we live in the Northeast, I would take a cruise that is within driving distance of our home, even if I don't love its itinerary, if it has a good cabin available on a nice ship, but I will not fly to take a cruise, no matter how good the deal is, if its itinerary doesn't appeal to me.

I would also rather take three very good cruises a year, and pay a little more to get exactly what we want, than take ten cruises a year on older ships with boring or off season itineraries because they were cheap.

I agree with OP, the mainstream lines are all far more similar than dissimilar

The striving of posters to 'prove' that their line of choice is 'BEST' simply reflects Ego; our needy desire for validation. X' marketing seems a bit driven more by this factor than other lines; Ego/self-esteem being embodied significantly in the line's very name "Celebrity". And of course, we see that on CC where this forum is widely regarded as populated (or dominated?) by super loyalists. ;) Although I suppose that the words "Princess" and "Royal..." are working the same angle.

But that's perfectly OK. X has a product that its cruiser base is very committed to and they scrutinize the line constantly on its committment and retention of it in an ever changing and increasingly challenging product delivery environment.

IMHO ship size is a greater influence on the cruise experience than the particular line.

[quote name='vator90']. Those of us who haven't reached our "golden years" shouldn't be made to feel like we're trespassing when we board an 'X" ship with our kids. quote]

???? We took our first X cruise with a couple of teenagrs and there were plenty others onboard.

But our OP is a restless travelor, note that he has 21 cruises on 11 cruiselines(!) meaning he rarely cruises any line more than twice! So his comment needs to be viewed accordingly. But I understand him a bit - since I'm tracking him with 10 or 11 cruises on 5 or 6 lines (depending on when you start counting! 1968 or 2001!)[/quote]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][B]Tracked?[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][B]Gee...being tracked ..is that anything like being stalked?[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][B]Dennis[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1]An afternoon on the Norway 1981 / Christmas cruise 7 night1984 / [I]Sky Princess[/I] 10 night / Russian Cruise Line 4 night / [I]Crown Monarch[/I] 7 night / [I]Festival[/I] Carnival 7 night / [I]Norway[/I] 7 night September 1989 / [/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1][I]Regent Sea[/I] 15 night Panama Canal 1993 / [I]Commodore Caribe[/I] 7 night / [I]Regal Princess[/I] 7 night 1998[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][SIZE=1][FONT=Times New Roman][I]Star Princess[/I] 7 night 1999 / [I]Zuiderdam[/I] Holland America 14 night 2000 ( Dec) / [I]Tropica[/I]l Carnival 5 night 2001[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=1][FONT=Times New Roman][I]Norway[/I] August 7 night 2002 / [I]Rydam[/I] Holland America 19 night South America 2003 / [/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1][I]Westerdam[/I] Holland America 14 night 2004 / [I]Zenith[/I] Celebrity 14 night March 2005 / [/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1][I]Celebration[/I] Carnival 5 night September 2005 / [I]MSV Lucia[/I] Central America 21 night Christmas 2005[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1][I]Celebration[/I] Carnival 4 nights August 2006 / [I]Celebration[/I] Carnival 5 nights September 2006[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1][I]Seven Seas Mariner[/I] 18 night TP November 2006 / [I]Celebration Carnival[/I] 5 nights March 2007[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1][I]Celebrity Century[/I] Trans Atlantic April 26th 2007 / [I]Celebration Carnival[/I] 5 nights Oct.15th 2007 / [/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1][B]/ Holland America Zaandam 15 nights Dec 2007 / Holland American Zuiderdam TA March 15th 2008 18 nights / Celebrity[/B] Century 14 nights T?A Dec 1, 2008 [/SIZE][/FONT]

[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1]177 days at sea [/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1]21 cruises[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1]11 cruise lines[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1]T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='AFuncruiser']But our OP is a restless travelor, note that he has 21 cruises on 11 cruiselines(!) meaning he rarely cruises any line more than twice! So his comment needs to be viewed accordingly. But I understand him a bit - since I'm tracking him with 10 or 11 cruises on 5 or 6 lines (depending on when you start counting! 1968 or 2001!)[/quote]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][B]Tracked?[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][B]Gee...being tracked ..is that anything like being stalked?[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][B]Dennis[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Well that depends on the itineraries... Looking them over... You're SAFE! :D

Will one day try Celebrity. I finally got to try Carnival last year and had my expectations set fairly low, which was a mistake, it turned out to be one of the best cruises to date, was it perfect no, but wonderful. Little touches were nice, we had an OV 230 sq ft (spa deck), all rooms included plush robes, wonderful high quality bedding, and a complimentary toiletry basket refilled daily. The dining room food was very very good, didn't have a bad meal there. Their upcharge supperclub was one of the best meals I have ever had, and the lido deck had a huge variety of food choices (fish n' chips station, oriental station, deli window, grill, pizza, and the buffet with standard fare in one line, and different international offering daily on the other line.

I think most lines are more alike than different, but each has carved their own niche, like carnival (fun and value) RCI (innovative activity choices) celebrity and HAL (upscale service) NCL (choice and variety in dining) etc... The only thing that makes a cruise line better is if they suit your needs and desires, which may be very different from mine.

MAC

[quote name='bakechef']Will one day try Celebrity. I finally got to try Carnival last year and had my expectations set fairly low, which was a mistake, it turned out to be one of the best cruises to date, was it perfect no, but wonderful.[/quote]

Comments like this do support the OP's original thought - there really is no such thing as a "premium" cruise line. Just a bunch of pretty good, affordable mainstream lines, and several excellent, albeit very expensive, luxury lines.

I agree with those who have posted that all of the mass market cruise lines are essentially similar in price and more alike than they are different. In fact, Celebrity is often less expensive than other mass market cruise lines for a comparable itinerary within the same time frame.

I also feel there is no relationship between formal nights/dress codes and the quality of a cruise, especially when you consider the fact that most of the real luxury cruise lines don't have them. That is merely a matter of personal preference which has nothing to do with the socio-economic class of its passengers. I would even say that most people look better in fashionable casual clothes, that are appropriate for their age and body type, than formal wear that is dated.

Although Celebrity tends to cater to an older demographic and has less children, that doesn't mean its passengers are more upscale. On any mass market cruise line you will find a diverse group of passengers that include well educated professionals, business executives, blue collar workers, and pink collar workers.

With this in mind, I feel the differences that do exist between the mass market cruise are a matter of personal preference which has nothing to do with whether or not the passengers are "classy". It is also one of my pet peeves when posters make judgements about people based on the cruise lines they sail.

To me =X= means being at home!

I never felt like that on any other ship or any other vacation, but I always did when I cruised Celebrity!

Some people may find negative points everywhere. If you care about them, you become one of them. So be careful :D !

[quote name='Sky Sweet']Hi Babylene :)

Pink collar worker is the feminine counterpart of a blue collar worker which includes jobs of a clerical nature.[/QUOTE]

So clerical workers are female?? Talk about stereotyping!! :eek:

[quote name='richsea']So clerical workers are female?? Talk about stereotyping!! :eek:[/quote]

Please don't shoot the messenger. I did not create the definition of the term pink collar worker, which has been used by economists for years. and was merely responding to a poster who asked what it meant.

I thought jobs of a clerical nature were done by "white collar" workers, male OR female. (For Rich's benefit!!!) Maybe pink collar workers are the female counterparts of male blue collar workers, since for many years now, women are also doing those jobs. I think that's it!

[quote name='Sky Sweet']I agree with those who have posted that all of the mass market cruise lines are essentially similar in price and more alike than they are different. In fact, Celebrity is often less expensive than other mass market cruise lines for a comparable itinerary within the same time frame.

I also feel there is no relationship between formal nights/dress codes and the quality of a cruise, especially when you consider the fact that most of the real luxury cruise lines don't have them. That is merely a matter of personal preference which has nothing to do with the socio-economic class of its passengers. I would even say that most people look better in fashionable casual clothes, that are appropriate for their age and body type, than formal wear that is dated.

Although Celebrity tends to cater to an older demographic and has less children, that doesn't mean its passengers are more upscale. On any mass market cruise line you will find a diverse group of passengers that include well educated professionals, business executives, blue collar workers, and pink collar workers.

With this in mind, I feel the differences that do exist between the mass market cruise are a matter of personal preference which has nothing to do with whether or not the passengers are "classy". It is also one of my pet peeves when posters make judgements about people based on the cruise lines they sail.[/quote]

[SIZE=4]WOW!![/SIZE] I could not agree with you more..... most succinct and on point.
Dennis

[SIZE=4]I copied and pasted this definition of pink collar worker from an online dictionary[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]------------------------------------------------------[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]pink-col•lar

[/SIZE][I]Pronunciation: [/I](pingk'kol'[I]u[/I]r), [URL="http://dictionary.infoplease.com/pronkey.html"][COLOR=#003399][key][/COLOR][/URL]
—[I]adj.[/I]
of or pertaining to a type of employment traditionally held by women, esp. relatively low-paying work: [I]secretaries, phone operators, and other pink-collar workers.[/I]

[quote name='Sky Sweet'][SIZE=4]I copied and pasted this definition of pink collar worker from an online dictionary[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]------------------------------------------------------[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]pink-col•lar

[/SIZE][I]Pronunciation: [/I](pingk'kol'[I]u[/I]r), [URL="http://dictionary.infoplease.com/pronkey.html"][COLOR=#003399][key][/COLOR][/URL]
—[I]adj.[/I]
of or pertaining to a type of employment traditionally held by women, esp. relatively low-paying work: [I]secretaries, phone operators, and other pink-collar workers.[/I][/QUOTE]

Interesting. So what is a female bus driver, assembly line worker, etc? Are they also blue collar? I studied Sociololgy in the 60's. Jobs, labels have changed. You are updating me!!!

Archived