Costa May in August?

vbsnyder

:confused: We are sailing on the Carnival Glory on August 9. I just got a newsletter stating that Cost Mayawill reopen in July. Does anyone know if we will visit Roatan as per our current itinerary or will we go to Costa Maya (the original port before Hurricane Dean? Does anyone know how to find out?:rolleyes:

That will be disappointing especially if you are like me, and plan your excursions carefully. We have a driver meeting us at the dock in Roatan-I hate to just not show up. Additonaly, we visited Roatan on the Legend last Sept (the substitute stop for Costa Maya) and we purposely booked this cruise so we could take our children to this beautiful island. I have hear CM was lovely but I would prefer to go back to Roatan. If you are one of the first Glory passengers who goes to CM before 8/9 I would appreciate a heads up. Here's to cruisin' anywhere!!!

Not sure if that is how it will work, but that is how it worked when they reopened Grand Cayman after Ivan.

The port has to declare itself reopen then the cruise lines (and insurance underwriters) need to inspect to be sure it is safe enough and that there are enough activities and then a few ships test market before the official reopening.

We have been to Costa Maya last year and Roatan this year. Roatan was a last minute substitution for Costa Rica that was experiencing an employee strike when we where scheduled to be there. We also schedule our excursions way in advance. As soon as we got the itinerary change we hopped on the internet and emailed the tour operator in Costa Rico about changed, researched and scheduled driver for Roatan. We were scheduled to zip line and fortunately this was possible at both ports. I agree that Roatan was very pretty, however, we had one of our most memerable ports at Costa Maya. We went to the chokoban (sp?) mayan ruins with a private tour operator whose father had discovered the ruins and his family farm is still next to them. He told stories of his mother feeding the chickens with a mayan platter and all about the mayan culture. Our children DS 7 and DS 9 at the time said they would never forget standing on the ruins and being able to meet Ivan. Both ports have something great to offer -- Costa Maya- Mayan culture, Roatan - ziplining, snorkeling and a beautiful island.

Hope you enjoy whatever port you wind up with!

We are cruising in October and I would be THRILLED if we went to Costa Maya instead of Progreso - Costa Maya is my favorite port of all of them, and I miss it! That being said, our cruise for NEXT April also still says Progreso instead of Costa Maya, so who knows when the ships will start switching back to Costa Maya. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

:confused: We are sailing on the Carnival Glory on August 9. I just got a newsletter stating that Cost Mayawill reopen in July. Does anyone know if we will visit Roatan as per our current itinerary or will we go to Costa Maya (the original port before Hurricane Dean? Does anyone know how to find out?:rolleyes:

We will be on the same sailing. Info given to me by my TA included Costa Maya as a port BUT my Carnival info, online, says Roatan. My TA is looking into it.

We always book excursions through Carnival and right now the web site has Roatan as the port and so we have booked excursions already.

Anyone else have any more info?

We are cruising in October and I would be THRILLED if we went to Costa Maya instead of Progreso - Costa Maya is my favorite port of all of them, and I miss it! That being said, our cruise for NEXT April also still says Progreso instead of Costa Maya, so who knows when the ships will start switching back to Costa Maya. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

I have been to Progreso and Costa Maya. They are both nice. You will not be disappointed with either of them. However, Progreso is one of my favorite ports. That was our first port of call on our first cruise and it was very unspoiled and un-touristy. We took a double decker bus ride through the city and it was a blast! Cheap beer too. You got a bottle of Dos Equis (spelling?) and a shot of tequila for a dollar!!! It was a very relaxed atmospehere, the locals seemed very happy we were there and treated us well. You will love either port, but I am especially fond of Progreso... ;)

Archived