Mystery Theater Dinner

debt

Hi

We did this two years ago on Brilliance in the Med. It was fun. It was myself, DH, DS (21 at the time), DD (18 at the time). We all enjoyed it. It was a different way to spend a dinner time. And we met new people.

Food was quite good as I recall.

We did it on the Serenade this past January. It was done well. It would be an interesting change of pace for dinner during a cruise. Ther food was great and my wine glass was never empty...despite my best efforts! ;)

Eric

If I recall, it was on Tuesday evening. That was the Antigua port day. It begins about 6:00 pm in the Safari Club. There is champagne (ok, it's sparkling white wine) and canapes. The characters and story line are introduced. I will not give anything away, but there is an audience participation component. I was picked and after that, about 80 people called out my name when they saw me the rest of the cruise. It was fun for me. Hopefully they have recovered from the experience. ;)

After the "crime" takes place, you all head into Portofino for dinner and to be placed in teams to figure out who the guilty party is. The food was very good and there was a constant flow of wine. It was a chance to meet some very nice and fun people. It is a good value for the price. The entertainment staff seem to have fun and they enjoy it when the audience gives them a chance to improvise.

If you do go to the one on the Serenade, tell "Madam Valuca" that Eric from the January 19th sailing says "hi."

Eric

Does anyone know if they do the Murder Mystery on the Alaska cruises? I will be cruising on Serenade with my mother and sister in late July and this is something that I think we would enjoy. How hard is it to get reservations on this night?

Thanks.

Deborah

Does anyone know if they do the Murder Mystery on the Alaska cruises? I will be cruising on Serenade with my mother and sister in late July and this is something that I think we would enjoy. How hard is it to get reservations on this night?

Thanks.

Deborah

Last year on the Radiance Alaska cruise they had it. I would book as soon as you get on the ship. We were among the first on the ship when we signed up for the Murder Mystery dinner and there were already people signed up. If they are booked, keep calling and asking if they have had any cancellations. We had to cancel the day before, due to being quaranteened (sp?) with Noro.

Has anyone attended the murder myatery dinner at Portofino's?

Yes we did it was alot of fun, the price was a bit steep 49.00 pp but it was better than eating that junky food in the dining room with the rest of the crowd. we had fun and thought that the killer was one of the people at our table we were all fooled. you will like it i recommend that you do it and also sing at Karaoke I did that my kids took pictures of their big big bad momma singing the blues away.. our best friends were the gianbrones from batavia ny on the newlyweds game the one where they asked funny questions. sam and maria... ciao

Last year on the Radiance Alaska cruise they had it. I would book as soon as you get on the ship. We were among the first on the ship when we signed up for the Murder Mystery dinner and there were already people signed up. If they are booked, keep calling and asking if they have had any cancellations. We had to cancel the day before, due to being quaranteened (sp?) with Noro.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like a lot of fun, I'm sorry you had to cancel your reservation! :(

If we decide to do this I will find out which night it is scheduled and book as soon as the reservation system opens up for our particular cruise.

Thanks to everyone for all of the help! :)

Deborah

Can somebody provide a few "technical" details about the murder mystery? Let me start by saying I don't want to know "who dunnit". I'm more interested in how it was presented, how much audience participation and how were the clues presented. We didn't have a chance to make a reservation on our last cruise. It sounds like a lot of fun.

We are thinking of hosting a murder mystery dinner as a fund raiser at our church. I've found a lot of sites that help host a dinner, but there are not many deatils (without buying the mystery first).

Thanks for your help.

Can somebody provide a few "technical" details about the murder mystery? Let me start by saying I don't want to know "who dunnit". I'm more interested in how it was presented, how much audience participation and how were the clues presented. We didn't have a chance to make a reservation on our last cruise. It sounds like a lot of fun.

We are thinking of hosting a murder mystery dinner as a fund raiser at our church. I've found a lot of sites that help host a dinner, but there are not many deatils (without buying the mystery first).

Thanks for your help.

Hi Tom! Hope you and Sue are well! I did the Mystery Dinner on the Radiance in Nov 06. We met in the Lounge for champagne and appetizers which were served by walking wait staff. After everyone was settled, the "act" began. The actors were either from the cruise directors activities staff or part of the singers/dancers. They basically did a skit outlining the mystery. Then the house lights came up and we were ushered into Portofino's for dinner. You order from a limited menu and the champagne is replaced with your choice of white or red wine. Between courses there are more skits. Most of the action comes from the actors not the audience, but you can 'participate' by reacting to them with cheers, jeers, etc. Before the dessert course, each of the actors rotate to each table and you are able to ask them questions to help you determine who dunnit. Then you cast your vote for the villian and the votes are collected. There is one last act to reveal what really happened. It's fun, but not true quality theatrics!

I am very interested in participating in the Mystery Dinner but my DH does not want to go. My DS (15 yrs old) wants to participate. I know that there is an age restriction, but have you seen other teenagers at the Mystery Dinner? Thanking you in advance for your responses.

November we will be on AOS -- will the mystery dinner be available on this ship? For some reason I thought I read a thread a couple of months ago that stated it was not available on AOS. Please let me know out there. Thanks, appreciate it.

We did a Murder Mystery Dinner in Orlando many years ago and it was fun! My DD won the top prize, only because when they asked the final question, nobody knew the answer. She shyly raised her hand to answer when nobody else did and she was right. We haven't done one since.

Do you need to know, in advance, what night it will be, or when you go to book Portofino's will it be posted?

Hi Tom! Hope you and Sue are well! I did the Mystery Dinner on the Radiance in Nov 06. We met in the Lounge for champagne and appetizers which were served by walking wait staff. After everyone was settled, the "act" began. The actors were either from the cruise directors activities staff or part of the singers/dancers. They basically did a skit outlining the mystery. Then the house lights came up and we were ushered into Portofino's for dinner. You order from a limited menu and the champagne is replaced with your choice of white or red wine. Between courses there are more skits. Most of the action comes from the actors not the audience, but you can 'participate' by reacting to them with cheers, jeers, etc. Before the dessert course, each of the actors rotate to each table and you are able to ask them questions to help you determine who dunnit. Then you cast your vote for the villian and the votes are collected. There is one last act to reveal what really happened. It's fun, but not true quality theatrics!

Hey Murphy--thanks for the input. That gives me a good idea of what to look forward to for a murder mystery. I've been "seeing" Polar Bears all over the board these last couple of days. We just got back from the Liberty in the Caribbean. It was "OK", but we prefer the smaller ships (Radiance class). We just booked a cruise (Brilliance) to Greece & Egypt for April '09. No other future cruises (yet).

Thanks again.

Tom & Sue

Archived