Wireless connection???

mimmi

Just a quick question:

If I bring my laptop, Does Carnival (Valor) have wireless internet access? How much?

Yes. There's a $3.95 one time set up fee and $.75/minute. You can buy a block of time, 100 minutes for $55 or 250 minutes for $100.

The connect speed is fairly slow depending on how many folks are using the connection. I try to do anything on line either early in the morning or late in the evening.

Bringing your laptop is a great option because you can download your emails to your PC and read them offline; similarly, you can compose your emails offline, then connect to send them and logoff again. Saves a lot of minutes you're paying for.

How fast is the interent cafe internet?

It's slow. The problem lies in the fact that all the users on board the ship are sharing the same bandwidth, about 900K, far less that the broadband that most folks have at home.

The speed is the same regardless of whether you use a laptop or the terminals at the internet café.

It's slow. The problem lies in the fact that all the users on board the ship are sharing the same bandwidth, about 900K, far less that the broadband that most folks have at home.

The speed is the same regardless of whether you use a laptop or the terminals at the internet café.

Rumour has it the Carnival Dream is going to have a T3 line. ;)

Yes. There's a $3.95 one time set up fee and $.75/minute. You can buy a block of time, 100 minutes for $55 or 250 minutes for $100.

What if I buy a block of time and don't use it all, can I get a refund?

Hi Panurse,

On the 2 ships that I have been on, Spirit & Fascination, you had to be in an area that had wireless access, ie; public rooms. I could not pick up a signal strong enough in my stateroom. ( Cat. 11 on Spirit and 6A on the Fascination)

I do not know about other ships. I have read that some have wireless access throughout the ship.

Maybe others will know about your particular ship.

Enjoy!

Lee

Hi Jane,

I did a quick search and came up with something from Carnival that states the Destiny has ship-wide wifi access. I don't know if it means you can pick up a strong enough signal in your stateroom. You may have to call Carnival.

Hope this helps,

Lee

Hi Jane,

I did a quick search and came up with something from Carnival that states the Destiny has ship-wide wifi access. I don't know if it means you can pick up a strong enough signal in your stateroom. You may have to call Carnival.

Hope this helps,

Lee

Wifi broadcast is in the low GHz range and with standard access points expect it to have an indoor range of several hundred feet. The actual range is very variable due to the low power and frequency and things like walls will make the effective range shorter. In a large open atrium I would expect there to be a single access point that might effectively service the whole area. Pitty those that hook up if there are twenty or thirty of you trying to all share the same uplink.

In cabin areas they will need probably an access point every 50ft or less to gurantee good connection. Why do I not believe that they would make the effort to wire every floor every 50ft with an access point. Take for example my house, I get a really strong signal in my study but if I go up stairs I can watch the signal drop to below 20% depending on how many sheetrock walls I have between me and the transmitter.

Does it mean you can't get it in your cabin, No. It means if they really have it they will have had to go to great lengths to insure the coverage is truely 100% and high speed. I personally believe you can get it but it won't be like starbucks.

Just a quick question:

If I bring my laptop, Does Carnival (Valor) have wireless internet access? How much?

Carnival was the very first ship with onboard WIFI, its all over the ship so wifi signal in all cabins is very nice. I posted from cabin 2465 when I was there, thats way aft on the starboard side. All ships after Valor have wifi built into the walls of the ship, ships before Valor have wifi also but not as good. Fantasy and Spirit class ships have their wifi antennas located in the cabin passage ways. The signal varies depending how close you are to those wifi antennas.

Fred

Does it mean you can't get it in your cabin, No. It means if they really have it they will have had to go to great lengths to insure the coverage is truely 100% and high speed. I personally believe you can get it but it won't be like starbucks.

On any Carnival ship where I have in cabin WiFi access, there were always multiple access points I could choose from. If I felt one was getting bogged down, I would disconnect and reconnect to a different one and usually have a noticeable improvement in speed.

The fastest WAP was not necessarily the one with the best signal strength and/or quality.

On any Carnival ship where I have in cabin WiFi access, there were always multiple access points I could choose from. If I felt one was getting bogged down, I would disconnect and reconnect to a different one and usually have a noticeable improvement in speed.

The fastest WAP was not necessarily the one with the best signal strength and/or quality.

Thats good to know, I've never seen more then one connection.

Fred

Wifi broadcast is in the low GHz range and with standard access points expect it to have an indoor range of several hundred feet. The actual range is very variable due to the low power and frequency and things like walls will make the effective range shorter. In a large open atrium I would expect there to be a single access point that might effectively service the whole area. Pitty those that hook up if there are twenty or thirty of you trying to all share the same uplink.

In cabin areas they will need probably an access point every 50ft or less to gurantee good connection. Why do I not believe that they would make the effort to wire every floor every 50ft with an access point. Take for example my house, I get a really strong signal in my study but if I go up stairs I can watch the signal drop to below 20% depending on how many sheetrock walls I have between me and the transmitter.

Maybe they use leaky coax on cabin decks? That would be better than the expense and maintenance of a bazillion APs.

Archived