One day tour in St. Petersburg?

Quince

All the recommendations I've read on this site are for 2 day tours, but we're doing the 7 day cruise which has just 1 day in Russia. Has anybody else tried to see it all in one day? Looking at Denrus, Red October and all, they seem to be set up only for two day tours.

Also, we're more interested in seeing daily life of Russian families than art museums. Has anybody set up a tour that takes you to a school, shopping center, etc? Will any of the tour companies deviate from the normal tourist attractions, or does the visa through them just allow you to visit specific sites?

Why don't you contact Alla, Denrus or Red October and see if they can give you a one day tour? I am going on a 2 day with Alla but she is really good at working with custom trips. Maybe she can put one together for you.

Will any of the tour companies deviate from the normal tourist attractions

I would not limit your search to Red October, Denrus and Alla but I would also talk with some of the companies that are not as frequently mentioned such as Anastasia, SPB, Intourist, Travel in Russia--and others. Find someone who is enthusiastic as you are about NOT spending all day in the same palaces, churches and museums. It might take some work but it will be worth it in the end.

Email the companies you have already mentioed and they will put together a package for one day the way you like it. The websites are only "geared" to 2 day packages since the cruiselines are going to STPB for the first time this year with those short cruises and only doing one day.

We to are doing that and Red October made us a really good offer for a one day. Everything we wanted.

All you need to do is contact them.

Definitely check with spb-tours. I am doing a two day, but she could probably put together a one day.

I wanted to see more local life. We are going to a local fruit market, the subway, a boat ride, a working Russian Orthodox church, having tea with a local family, etc.

Definitely check with spb-tours. I am doing a two day, but she could probably put together a one day.

I wanted to see more local life. We are going to a local fruit market, the subway, a boat ride, a working Russian Orthodox church, having tea with a local family, etc.

can you post a website for spb??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi CoastalJen,

I am looking to put together a one day tour similar to yours -more local flavor. Can you share how you put together the itinerary so I can present it to my tour guide? Thanks very much.

Jeana

Hallo Jeana

this is the on ewe are doing next week....

7:30 - Get off ship immigration and meet guide

8:30 - Arrival Tasakoye Selo (Pushkin)

8:45 - Catherine Palace with the Amber room (paid early entrance to beat the crowds.

10:15 - drive to Peterhof / Russian Versailles

11:15 - arrival there and Lunch on our own

12:00 - stroll through the parks

01:00 - drive back to St. Petersburg (alternative is the hydrofoil = extra charge)

2:30 - City sight seeing = Nevsky Ave, Winter Palace, Peter& Paul Forteress etc. Savior of the Spilled Blood Cathedral

04:15 - Payment at the office

04:30 - back to ship - this is safety time!!!

06:00 - sailing

This is with Red October by the way. I can lett you know how it was on the 19th May

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo we are back.....

It was sunny but freezing cold!!!

We went to the gangway at 7:10am with our tour tickets from Red Oct., our Sponsor ship letter, passport copy and our original passport. We asked if we could go at that time - no problem off we went down the gangway, the band starts to play. In the door of immrigration container. Here they keep the passport copy, stamp the passport and put in the little red card which is removed when returning to ship. The 4 of us took 5 minutes.

Our guide arrived as we walk out the door. We got into our own van and off we were. If you are early you can beat the crowds. We were given a drive through the city with stops and a walk around at the Hermitage (we had not booked the museum) there were several other stops all around the city includeing the Aurora (we were the only ones to get there in time for the early morning flagraising parade a t 9:00am) all other groups only arrived as we were already going again.

From there it was off to Pushkin where we had paid to entrance early tooo. (this is like the fast pass at disney - you get to the front of the line - boy you should hear those others bitch about that!!!!) I found going through the rooms a bit rushed but that is just because of the sheer volume of people that want to see these rooms. After seeing a bit of the gardens we headed over to Peterhof and its spectacular gardens. We had not ordered lunch so it was up to us, the guide and driver - we chose to eat at a little restaurant on our way there. We had Sojanka and Prioschka (hey don't ask me how to spell those!!!) Because this wasn't your regular tourist stop it was cheap but very good.

At Peterhof we did not view the palace but rather the gardens (one just can't do EVERYTHING in one day) Once you are done here you can take the hydofoil back to SPB BUT that is really not good if the weather is bad!!! We drove back to SPB . Back there it was the visit to the Catherdale of the spilled blood - this place is a real little jewel!!!

If you intend to pay your tour in cash you will not have to go by the Red October offices to pay but rather your guide will collect the monies and give you the reciept. This saves you time and gives you a bit more time for looking around and doing a bit of shopping for little knick naks.

What we did was a full day!!!!

I do hope that helped you - have fun on your cruise.

We used Viktoria who owns spb-tours. She accepts dollars, euros etc and will price the trip you want in whatever money you wish. Just remember the bills have to have no tears or writing on them. Some rule from the Russians.She is very flexible on what you ask to see. She will make an itinerary just for you. Also she will handle the visa as the other companies do.

The Visa was included in our tour price. Call or email them and ask for the pricing in USD. Since I am from the EU it was better for us to pay in Euros and it "seemed" like they prefered those.

Archived