How formal are formal nights?

Avril

Of all the people I have missed, its been you! I am not in the market for a cruise in the near future so haven't been paying much attention (actually,no attention at all) until my daughter and future son in law were throwing around an idea of a honeymoon cruise. I thought I would log back on and see if anything is new.....

Nope!

Shari

Who is looking for a Mother of the Bride dress in denim....:)

Oh, Shari-

What a kind, kind thing to say! :) I wish your daughter all of the happiness in the world, honey!

(You're correct.... nothing has changed :rolleyes:)

I've been trying to find things that roll up in a ball and still will look nice. I tend to over pack, especially on cruises. It's a bad habit and trying to break it. :)

Packing lists are often an essential component in helping one to overcome the tendency to over-pack. I have a packing list, with which I'm always toying and adjusting; I try to stick to it, without piling in extra stuff, while in the process of preparing things for the trip. Sadly, when I get around to actually packing things into the bags I invariably find myself thinking "oh, I'll need this" or "oh, I'll need that" :D and it's everything I can do to keep myself from putting that item into the bag, too.

Packing lists are often an essential component in helping one to overcome the tendency to over-pack. I have a packing list, with which I'm always toying and adjusting; I try to stick to it, without piling in extra stuff, while in the process of preparing things for the trip. Sadly, when I get around to actually packing things into the bags I invariably find myself thinking "oh, I'll need this" or "oh, I'll need that" :D and it's everything I can do to keep myself from putting that item into the bag, too.

You are a very wise man. :)

I am going to make a list and stick with it. I'm the same way as you are, except I usually toss the "extras" in the bag, and I shouldn't. I would have loved to have seen your face if you could have seen my "cruise pile" for our first cruise. lol I booked it 9 months in advance, and I started tossing things for the cruise in a spare room and by the time the cruise rolled around, the room was half full of these things!! Well, I didn't take everything, but I could have left most of it home and we would be fine. We used to do a lot of driving vacations...we had a family cabin in the Colorado mountains, so I think that where my bad travel packing habits started. Hey, if there was extra room in the car, why not bring it along. We even had enough extra room to bring along my kids' friends...as if three kids on vacation wasn't enough! :)

I rember you sharing this list a time or two on the boards. It was so specific and really helpful! I adjusted it for Keaka and me.

You are a very wise man. :)

I am going to make a list and stick with it. I'm the same way as you are, except I usually toss the "extras" in the bag, and I shouldn't. I would have loved to have seen your face if you could have seen my "cruise pile" for our first cruise. lol I booked it 9 months in advance, and I started tossing things for the cruise in a spare room and by the time the cruise rolled around, the room was half full of these things!! Well, I didn't take everything, but I could have left most of it home and we would be fine. We used to do a lot of driving vacations...we had a family cabin in the Colorado mountains, so I think that where my bad travel packing habits started. Hey, if there was extra room in the car, why not bring it along. We even had enough extra room to bring along my kids' friends...as if three kids on vacation wasn't enough! :)

For 2 weeks in a mountain cabin about a 2 hour drive away, my late mother used to pack so much that the day before my dad and I would put 3 or 4 boxes (big) into the pickup and 2 horses in the trailer and leave it all there. The next day we would go with mother and whatever she had forgotten to the cabin. I don't think all of the stuff was ever unpacked!

Now my wife and I go for a 2 week cruise with 1 suitcase, 1 carryon and 1 purse. (You should see the size of her purse). For HAL, we m,ay need more do to the formal nights on our cruise.

I rember you sharing this list a time or two on the boards. It was so specific and really helpful! I adjusted it for Keaka and me.

You are VERY kind. :) I'm pleased my lists have been helpful. I need to start putting thought to my list for the Eurodam Inaugurals.

For 2 weeks in a mountain cabin about a 2 hour drive away, my late mother used to pack so much that the day before my dad and I would put 3 or 4 boxes (big) into the pickup and 2 horses in the trailer and leave it all there. The next day we would go with mother and whatever she had forgotten to the cabin. I don't think all of the stuff was ever unpacked!

Now my wife and I go for a 2 week cruise with 1 suitcase, 1 carryon and 1 purse. (You should see the size of her purse). For HAL, we m,ay need more do to the formal nights on our cruise.

LOL...I sound a lot like your mother. :)

Hmmm....I think I need a bigger purse! Mine is a tiny travel size and I can barely get a few items in it, but it makes it nice for when we're out and about. This next time on our cruise, we're going to use the laundry/dry cleaning service more and try to pack even less. I am an old dog, but I am slowly learning new tricks. By the time I am off to the nursing home, I'll be down to one small bag and a toothbrush/toothpaste! :)

Archived