Cruising the mediterranean

outlawwillie

We cruised the Baltic last summer on Costa Europa and found the ship to be a bit old and in need for some refurbishment especially in the cabins (not suites as they are brand new).

Our cabin (Outside superior cat. 11, Andromeda deck), however was very large and with lot of drawers, and our friends’ cabins (normal outside) a bit smaller but still with good space for 3 people (2 beds and a sofa)

Public rooms are really nice and ship is never crowded.

No queues at buffet restaurants (there are two buffet restaurants) although there were 1600 passengers on board.

Food: I’m Italian and found some dishes very good, some just fair

Entertainment: good for Europeans (a lot of dance and nice shows) but do not expect Vegas style shows

Cabin and Restaurant crew very efficient and friendly

Excursions a bit overpriced

In a nutshell: you will enjoy Costa Europa if you like old style liners not “farcused” and accept some minor problems due to ship’s age.

If you wish a brand new big ship, better to go on Fortuna or Magica, although being bigger I’ve heard you are likely to queue more than on Europa

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - we like Costa - have just returned from Costa Tropicale - 27 Sep to 11 Oct 04 - East and West Med. Also were on Costa Europa Xmas 2003 and are booked on Costa Magica pre-inaugural 10 Nov 04. OK you are never going to be 100% overwhelmed - but on whole food lot better than Cunard QE2. Cleanliness is really something which is very important. I see the cabin steward cleaning sink plugs which have never noticed before. Have never had any food problems. Lots of variety. If you are wondering any specifics I will be happy to advise.

Hi Dianost

Thanks for the feedback on Costa. This is something positive I hear about Costa on this site. You mentioned that you will be on the inaugural cruise on Costa Magica. Would appreciate if you could post your review on this site upon your return. We will be on Costa Magica on the 29 Nov cruising.

Have a great time cruising.

SandyLee

• 2 weeks later...

My first cruise was on Costa ship -- do not recall which one, --Classica I think -- It was quite nice, very inexpensive ( some 6 years ago). We had a porthole cabin which surprised me as to its size. Food was good. but there were some rude passengers who broke into buffet lines and griped a good bit. I would go on another Costa cruise. Have also been on many others since -- Celebrity, Holland America, Seawind, Seabourn, Rennaisance, Cunard and Royal Caribbean. I now almost always have a suite w/ balcony, but the Costa trip was very nice.

Gene in Birmingham

Five days to go to our pre-inaugural cruise - I see the ship has now get a webcam on the costa website. Yes I will post a review when we return.

Any specifics you are interested in?

Lucky you... we'll be on the Magica on Jan.31 and we can't wait.

I'm desperately looking for information on shore excursions for the various ports - I'm assuming you'll be doing the same itinerary with Egypt, Cyprus, Turkey and Greece.

So any information you can bring back on excursions, must-see's and good buys will be appreciated!

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Archived