Embarkation Delays To Get Worse, U.S. government plans to fingerprint cruisers at ter

sakapfet

USA TODAY's Mimi Hall reports this morning that the U.S. government plans to start fingerprinting travelers-- including cruisers -- as they leave the USA.

The proposal, to be unveiled by the Homeland Security Department, would require cruise lines to collect the fingerprints from passengers as they board ships in Miami and other U.S. ports. Airlines would have to collect fingerprints at airports.

Only foreigners would be fingerprinted, not U.S. citizens. But the requirement could cause delays for everyone at cruise ship terminals. It's also expected to add to the cost of turning around ships in ports -- costs the cruise lines likely will pass on to consumers. The proposal calls for cruise lines and airlines -- not the U.S. government -- to pick up the tab for the fingerprinting.

--------------

FYI

You have to feel a little sorry for Micky Arison, the head of the world's largest cruise company.

Just a couple years ago, the cruise business was riding high, and Arison's hefty stake in Carnival Cruise Lines had landed him among the 100 richest people in the world.

In 2006, Forbes estimated Arison's net worth at more than $6 billion, putting him at No. 94, to be exact, on its much-ballyhooed annual list of the world's billionaires.

Fast forward to last year, however, and Arison had slid to No. 129 on the list. And now he's all the way down to No. 189, according to the Forbes ranking for 2008, released this week.

Of course, that still leaves Arison with a net worth of $5.4 billion, says Forbes

The US Border patrol is already doing this at the airports, and it doesn't really affect US and Canadian Citizens, they have a separate line for those who have to go through the process and it only takes maybe 20 seconds longer for them to add it to the customs process. My Mom has to do it cause she was born in England.

--------------

FYI

You have to feel a little sorry for Micky Arison, the head of the world's largest cruise company.

Just a couple years ago, the cruise business was riding high, and Arison's hefty stake in Carnival Cruise Lines had landed him among the 100 richest people in the world.

In 2006, Forbes estimated Arison's net worth at more than $6 billion, putting him at No. 94, to be exact, on its much-ballyhooed annual list of the world's billionaires.

Fast forward to last year, however, and Arison had slid to No. 129 on the list. And now he's all the way down to No. 189, according to the Forbes ranking for 2008, released this week.

Of course, that still leaves Arison with a net worth of $5.4 billion, says Forbes

Man you're really digging up the troll bait top 10 today aren't you. :rolleyes:

Man you're really digging up the troll bait top 10 today aren't you. :rolleyes:

Hey big duck just because those of us not in the big digits as you who decide to post something here once in a while should not be considered troll bait. I find that very rude. This is a forum where we all have a right to post what we feel what's on our minds and not have to worry about getting bashed or called a troll. Remember you were once a little one at some point in time, stop being the big bully on the block.

What's next, mug shots before embarkation?:cool:

Duh, they already do that. when they take your pic for your s&s card.

Personally, i think it is a GREAT idea. That way if someone should break into my cabin, and rob me blind, the captain and security have fingerprinting kits they can go in and collect them, then it is all right there.

The purpertrator can be caught and sanctioned off till the next port, then turned in to us authorities at the port.

I know shut up with the mystery novel again....

sorry. I guess I watch too much CSI

Hey big duck just because those of us not in the big digits as you who decide to post something here once in a while should not be considered troll bait. I find that very rude. This is a forum where we all have a right to post what we feel what's on our minds and not have to worry about getting bashed or called a troll. Remember you were once a little one at some point in time, stop being the big bully on the block.

So why are you bashing someone who posted what is on his mind:rolleyes:

So why are you bashing someone who posted what is on his mind:rolleyes:

LOL! I guess there will never be a way around a bashing/flaming argument. No harm here. Have a good Friday everyone! Time to enjoy a brewski!

Duh, they already do that. when they take your pic for your s&s card.

Personally, i think it is a GREAT idea. That way if someone should break into my cabin, and rob me blind, the captain and security have fingerprinting kits they can go in and collect them, then it is all right there.

The purpertrator can be caught and sanctioned off till the next port, then turned in to us authorities at the port.

I know shut up with the mystery novel again....

sorry. I guess I watch too much CSI

LMAO, this will probably be done when you are re-entering the US after a cruise is completed. The cruise ship CSI department still has yet to form, hahahahah.

I have never had a slow Embarkation in the first place. Like stated above they have a seperate line for non US citizens, so I don't think it will have much effect. If it delays what time we actually leave, that's fine by me. At least I'll be waiting on the Lido with foo-foo in hand. :p :D

Archived