Things to do at LGA airport and traffic times

first_timer2

Hi,

We are 2 couples who will be leaving from Brooklyn port on July 10 (Thursday). OUr plane is scheduled to arrive at 8:30am, if everything goes well. Can anyone tell us what we can do around the LGA airport within walking distance? And also, can anyone tell us when we should call for a cab so that we hit less traffic in NY.

Thank you so much for all your great help

Not much to do around LGA within walking distance and traffic from LGA to Brooklyn is always bad. The BQE has construction and it could take anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour any time of day. I would take the cab to the port and walk around Brooklyn (Red Hook/Cobble Hill area). Lots of shops, restaraunts. Only problem might be dealing with your luggage. Not sure when you can check-in for the cruise.

AR

Hi,

We are 2 couples who will be leaving from Brooklyn port on July 10 (Thursday). OUr plane is scheduled to arrive at 8:30am, if everything goes well. Can anyone tell us what we can do around the LGA airport within walking distance? And also, can anyone tell us when we should call for a cab so that we hit less traffic in NY.

Nothing to do at LaGuardia except grab a snack. Note I said snack as that's about all you can get. Travel time to Red Hook can be between 30 minutes or as long as one and a half hours depending on traffic. You will be going on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway [bQE] and that road can be very unpredictable. Traffic should ease by 10 AM. Cabs are available vey easily at LGA. Just be sure the driver knows where the Red Hook Pier is and how to get there. I would ask before I got into the cab just to be sure. I sailed the Crown from Brooklyn and was on board by noon. Enjoy your cruise.

Richard

Hi,

There is nothing to do around LGA. If you are looking to waste time, I would look for the shops in the airport.

As for cabs, no need to call for one. Outside the baggage claim there will be a line of cabs waiting to pick up passengers. Jump in and have them take you to the port (but you may want to have directions printed out, not all cabbies know where the Brooklyn pier is).

Hi,

Take a car service, they are approx $50 flat rate for 4.

About a 30-40 minute drive.

Here are 2 that we use, call them around 10 minutes before you want them to arrive at baggage claim.

Arecibo 718-783-6465

Cadman 866-308-5466

No problem with a regular cab, and half the cost...

DGNY is right about the cost. Taxis are cheaper but if there are 4 people with large luggage, you would need 2 cabs (unless you get one of the new mini vans (which are few and can be far between). You could have to take 2 taxis. However, you could have the same problem with a car service. So if you opt for the car service, be sure to tell them that there are four of you. Cadman has mostly Lincoln Town Cars but they have some cars with smaller trunks. And even with the Lincoln trunk, 4 large suitcased are a tight squeez. We frequently travel with friends who live near by, buy we still take two cars or taxis to the pier because of the luggage.

The luggage will also be your problem when planning your time. You can't drag it around with you. My advice would be to take 2 taxis to the pier. Even if you are early, Princess will probably allow you to check you bags, even if they don't let you on the ship. They did that for us in Southampton last August. Then the 4 of you can get a taxi to Brooklyn Heights (5 min. away) or into Manhattan to spend a few hours walking around (maybe stopping for lunch) before returning to board.

Archived