Change in HAL Activity Policy

JJinVista

[quote name='kryos']
I would guess that eventually there will just be a sign-up sheet somewhere. People who want to play will sign up and then meet at a certain place. The cruise staff won't be involved at all, other that to get the game started and then split.

:(

Blue skies ...

--rita[/quote]

Rita: They were already doing this last winter on our Tahiti/Hawaii cruise. There was a sign up sheet in the card room and notices in the daily program to " sign up and meet likeminded people for fun and games together".
It really sucked.

[quote name='kakalina']Rita: They were already doing this last winter on our Tahiti/Hawaii cruise. There was a sign up sheet in the card room and notices in the daily program to " sign up and meet likeminded people for fun and games together".
It really sucked.[/QUOTE]You're not kidding, it sucks ... especially on a 30-day Tahiti/Hawaii cruise. I have a feeling that most people wouldn't even bother signing up. It's the fact that the game is hosted that motivates people to participate.

I can just imagine someone signing up for one of these games and then showing up at the venue at the appointed time, only to find they are the only one there. It would be the last time they bothered.

Yes, this is one change I definitely don't like to see ... at least not on longer cruises. I always thought the longer voyages were special and had a lot of stuff that the shorter ones didn't?

Blue skies ...

--rita

There may be a very good reason that ships are no longer hosting small venue games, mostly board games. Just imagine all the fingers and hands that come in contact with those games, cards, and game pieces. This is a perfect place for viral and bacteria infections to spread! My guess is that this is a health issue not a staffing issue. I for one do not want to play a game that hundreds of people have used before me.

The reason all of the HAL ships are kept so clean is to prevent infections as well as keeping them looking good. If you want to play a board game bring your own and find some other inclined passengers. For your own health stay away from those found in public places.:)

Just an idea!

[COLOR=indigo][B][U]Rita[/U]: I like HAL and I love the cleanliness of the ship.....however, it's like a home that has a "special" room that the family is not allowed to go into......[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]I would like to see more activities and especially see them "hosted!"[/B][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=#4b0082][/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#4b0082]I know it's a bit of a "give" and "take"....if you plan more activities then you have to have the staff and you have to clean-up after....[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]On our last cruise onboard the Oosterdam, we actually got "bored!" If it were not for Bingo and the evenings entertainment, we could have slept through the cruise......although, complete relaxation is not such a bad thing....I do like a bit more activities planned by the cruiseline![/B][/COLOR]

Since we generally take 7 night cruises we never really gave thought to all the activities mentioned in the above posts. I can see how getting rid of these "group activities" could be considered a let down; especially a cruise with many many sea days.... gee, how many books can you read??? I know that on a 7 night cruise, if we have 2 or 3 sea days I 've definitely accomplished scouring the ship from top to bottom, pretty much memorizing where everything is located in each and every shop!

Hopefully the activities staff will reconsider their lack of "things to do" while on a sea day especially on those LONG cruises....

[quote name='sassyredhat']Everything all of you said is true of our latest cruise 4/3/08 to Hawaii. :(

I have never seen so many "readers" in my life !!

Couldn't fit everyone in the Crow's Nest for Trivia.

Give me the "small venue" games any day !!!!!

Pat[/quote]

I wondered if you'd say anything. JJinVista, both Pat and I (with the DHs) were with you on the Hawaii Circle 4/3...and we were just as disappointed.

Allan and I always found something to do, but the activities were few and far between. And that's what makes the cruise fun.

Sure wish they'd reconsider.

kakalina ...
I envy you regarding your upcoming trip on the msSTATENDAM. We love this ship and what about the beautiful piano bar! We did a similar 30 day cruise on her to Hawaii, Tahiti, Bora Bora, etc. in January/2005. It was one of the most lovely trips we have ever been on and one we wouldn't mind repeating. We hope you have a wonderful time and keep us all informed about your daily activities on board. We will be going back on the STATENDAM in February for a 28 day trip and can't wait but for now we are happy anticipating the AMAZON EXPLORER trip in late November on the msPRISENDAM.

Have a wonderful time and let your cruise critic friends know all about the activities, entertainers, etc. on board.

BON VOYAGE!!!!

Archived