FYI on Passport!

Mary040402

I applied for my passport on friday 4.18.08 and received it the following friday on 4.25.08! :eek: It only took one full week! Just thought I would pass that along to those that might think they don't have time to get one in. ~Mary

Awesome! Mine expires in January, and I was going to send it in after my cruise last week. However, I'll be cruising again in November, and why spend before I need to (although I think work will pick it up)? Great that they're turning them around that quickly!

Awesome! Mine expires in January, and I was going to send it in after my cruise last week. However, I'll be cruising again in November, and why spend before I need to (although I think work will pick it up)? Great that they're turning them around that quickly!

I would just wait until Jan, that way you get an extra year. If you apply in Nov it will come this year and you will only have 9 years to use it.

I would just wait until Jan, that way you get an extra year. If you apply in Nov it will come this year and you will only have 9 years to use it.

Why only 9 years? Wouldn't it expire November 2018? True, it's about 6 weeks before my current one expires, but I'll need it for early Feb for a work trip, so I wouldn't want to wait until January.

Why only 9 years? Wouldn't it expire November 2018? True, it's about 6 weeks before my current one expires, but I'll need it for early Feb for a work trip, so I wouldn't want to wait until January.

Brain fart..you are right.:D

Mary040402--Did you go to the Downtown OKC location or a satellite one? Just wondering we applied for DS Fri 4/25 in Edmond and weren't gutsy enough to not expedite. We are going on a group cruise and some have not applied sounds like they may not have to expedite. Thank for the info. Kathy

Yes, the new one would be full 10 years. You just lose what you had left on the old one.

Great news on the one week turn around. You aren't military are you? I know they get thier's faster.

Nope not military nor business related type either. Just plain ole passport...with no extra options to get it to me quicker added! :D

Mary040402--Did you go to the Downtown OKC location or a satellite one? Just wondering we applied for DS Fri 4/25 in Edmond and weren't gutsy enough to not expedite. We are going on a group cruise and some have not applied sounds like they may not have to expedite. Thank for the info. Kathy

Kathy -

I went to the Post Office on 5th Street downtown by the Memorial. I figured if I went to the PO it would go right out. I checked the status online and by Tuesday it was processed and Wednesday it was shipped.

The guy at the counter told me that he had an instance with brothers, one chose not to expedite and one chose to.....guess who got theirs first....the one that didn't expedite!

I thought I was going to have to worry about obtaining another birth certificate but now all my worries with passport issues are done! :rolleyes:

where is your group cruising to that you need a pasport?

Are you leaving and returning to the same U.S. port?

Bill

We did 3 passports for wife and kids on Sat the 19 at A passport fair in our home town of Centereach NY .

Today we got the passports . Thats fast I week

Cant wait for our first cruise July 19 to Western caribean on the Imaganation

Steve

I applied for my passport on friday 4.18.08 and received it the following friday on 4.25.08! :eek: It only took one full week! Just thought I would pass that along to those that might think they don't have time to get one in. ~Mary

We decided to get our passports last October, thinking that it would take months to receive it. It was in our mailbox withing 7 days. Gotta love that. :)

Yes, the new one would be full 10 years. You just lose what you had left on the old one.

Great news on the one week turn around. You aren't military are you? I know they get thier's faster.

From the day we filled ours out to the day we got them back was a total of 10 days. We did not expedite or anything else. I was applying for my first and my husband was renewing his. He actually got his back in 5 days. We were shocked. The people at the Passport offices will tell you to allow six weeks. We actually allowed one year. We didn't want to wait. Again, I would never travel out of the country without one. We are not military. My husband is retired military but that doesn't make any difference.

Being military doesn't effect the wait time. If you are active duty and have orders to move overseas, then the military makes your passport and you get it immdiately. If you are active duty or a dependant of active duty and you do not have orders but just need a passport for a vacation then you wait like everyone else. I am a dependent and it only took 2 weeks to get my passport. Fast turnaround.

What is the rationale of having six months remaining before expiration?

The minimum amount of time is because all countries limit the amount of time you can stay as a "visitor" or tourist. The passport needs to be valid for the maximum duration you would be allowed to stay and also then be able to return home with a valid passport.

Obviously this should not be so much an issue with cruise travel and the typical 8 hour visit, but some countries may be fussy about this (especially outside the Caribbean / Central America region). If you're cruising afar to places like eastern Europe, best to check what the entry requirements are (passport validity, visa requirements, etc.)

We applied for our children's (ages 7 and 4) first passports 5 minutes before the passport office closed on Thursday, March 27 and we received both back on Saturday, April 5. We did not expedite them. We were told it would take 4-6 weeks. It will be so nice to not travel with any birth certificates anymore.

My parents have passports, but my brother who is 16 and myself (20) applied for the Passport Cards in February, with the expectation that we would get the cards back before our cruise in June.

With the recent decision about the govt., not sure that we will get our cards in time for the cruise. Just for my sanity sake and my reading of the govt's decision, we can still use our birth crtificates and drivers license, right?

My parents have passports, but my brother who is 16 and myself (20) applied for the Passport Cards in February, with the expectation that we would get the cards back before our cruise in June.

With the recent decision about the govt., not sure that we will get our cards in time for the cruise. Just for my sanity sake and my reading of the govt's decision, we can still use our birth crtificates and drivers license, right?

Yes you are correct. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

Bill

Archived